Mustang v6 horsepower - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mustang v6 horsepower

Hey guys im new to this forum! I have an 05 stang v6 what modifications can i make in order to gain more horse power?!! Any suggestions?!
Lagunero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunero
Hey guys im new to this forum! I have an 05 stang v6 what modifications can i make in order to gain more horse power?!! Any suggestions?!
Intake, exhaust, and a tune will make make you some hp. Gears and a tuner alone will give you some more acceleration too.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Mustang v6 horsepower

Mustang Evolution - Announcements in Forum : V6 Mustang

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks how about the throthle spacer or something like that?! I already have the flowmaster and an air raid cold air intake i also heard that if i remove the back seat that will give more hp is that true?! Or what u think?!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
Regular

Region: Tennessee

spacer is a waste of money. Removing the back seat is not worth it as well. There is no magic to getting more horsepower other than spending money. If you do the basic boltons then you either have to get into the engine or add a forced induction/nitrous setup.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunero View Post
Thanks how about the throthle spacer or something like that?! I already have the flowmaster and an air raid cold air intake i also heard that if i remove the back seat that will give more hp is that true?! Or what u think?!
Think about what you said about the seat... How could it give you more HP it has nothing to do with the motor. The only thing it does is make it lighter and makes it so you cant have people in the back. The weight that you lose from doing that makes very little difference in performance. If your drag racing then go ahead but just regular driving I would leave it in there so your friends can enjoy riding with you.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah there u go my bad! Yeah make it lighter! I think im going to do that! Get the delete seat kit at american muscle!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
Think about what you said about the seat... How could it give you more HP it has nothing to do with the motor. The only thing it does is make it lighter and makes it so you cant have people in the back. The weight that you lose from doing that makes very little difference in performance. If your drag racing then go ahead but just regular driving I would leave it in there so your friends can enjoy riding with you.
enjoy riding with you ???? obviously you haven't ridin' in the back of a MUSTANG ......
Old 04-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

lOOK at my mods list on my 06 v6 ,she makes 206 rwhp , not bad but respectable ....
Old 04-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

its not always about hp/tq suspension is VERY important so you can look into that as well
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #11

Region: Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
its not always about hp/tq suspension is VERY important so you can look into that as well
^right on, if it can't handle the power it is usless.

My dad just bought an '07 V6 with 10,000-miles and has the same questions which is why I am on this sub-forum (i have an '88 5.0) on his behalf.

Looks like a CAI, Headers(?), x-Pipe, & dual exhaust kit, properly tuned will gain around 25-30HP - from what i've read to date. I am sure Torque (240 lb-ft stock) would jump which is what you mostly feel in the big 4.0L V6 anyway.

Lagunero, Do you have a manual or Auto tranny; just curious? Get some good treads too, what wheels does yours have? My dad has the 17" ponies with nice, brand new Pirelli's so he is good to go.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Hemi/Tow Package
mhass302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

you prob. wont notice a difference just by taking out the seats... nor with a couple of the bolt ons u'd be buying. but once you spend over a grand ull feel a lil somethin

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:15 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg302

^right on, if it can't handle the power it is usless.

My dad just bought an '07 V6 with 10,000-miles and has the same questions which is why I am on this sub-forum (i have an '88 5.0) on his behalf.

Looks like a CAI, Headers(?), x-Pipe, & dual exhaust kit, properly tuned will gain around 25-30HP - from what i've read to date. I am sure Torque (240 lb-ft stock) would jump which is what you mostly feel in the big 4.0L V6 anyway.

Lagunero, Do you have a manual or Auto tranny; just curious? Get some good treads too, what wheels does yours have? My dad has the 17" ponies with nice, brand new Pirelli's so he is good to go.
I have auto transmission! And i also have some 17 black bullits im going to get some 20 does that make it slower?!
Old 04-15-2011, 02:29 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunero View Post
I have auto transmission! And i also have some 17 black bullits im going to get some 20 does that make it slower?!
You will definitely feel a decrease in performance if you go to 20's. However if you regear it you can gain some of that performance back. Personally I wouldn't go over 18's on it. 20's leave very little room for tire space and will give it a harsher ride.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

every 1lb of rotating mass as wheels are is about like adding 10lbs of dead weight to the car so you would have to see how much heavier the 20s will be then you can do the math, if they are 10lbs heaver a wheel thats 400lbs of dead weight~ but not sure that they would be that much heavier than the 17s.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
every 1lb of rotating mass as wheels are is about like adding 10lbs of dead weight to the car so you would have to see how much heavier the 20s will be then you can do the math, if they are 10lbs heaver a wheel thats 400lbs of dead weight~ but not sure that they would be that much heavier than the 17s.
It's considerably heavy. Going from the 17's on the f150 to the 20" harley davidson wheels was a major increase of weight. Plus I remember when I put my 17's on my old 04 v6 and that made a pretty big difference from the stock 16's.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 04-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #17

Region: Maryland

Quote:
^true.

Just remember, its not that you will necessarily "lose HP" the engine will make what it makes. You will just be using that same power to move a heaver object; it's basic Physics.

Gears help, but also remember the higher the gear ratio, i.e. 4:10s, the less MPG you will see as you will cruise in a different RPM range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic04edge View Post
It's considerably heavy. Going from the 17's on the f150 to the 20" harley davidson wheels was a major increase of weight. Plus I remember when I put my 17's on my old 04 v6 and that made a pretty big difference from the stock 16's.
All depends on the wheel type. I you are going from a steel wheel to aluminum, even if a bit larger, you would drop a few lbs. And, if you maintain the overall tire OD (highly recommeneded so you dont have to swtich your speedo gears) you will be carrying less rubber, but it maybe wider.... its a delicate balance.

If you plan to cruise around town and not drag race (i.e. my father, hence the V6 purchase) then get a set of nice looking wheels. Again, you need to remember the larger the rim, the more expensive the tire, as there are less options (supply and demand, business 101).

Go to tirerack and pick one style tire, whatever you like - doesn't matter, and look at the difference in the cost of 17's, 18' & 20s - if they even offer 20s as the options shrink greatly.

Just remember almost every decision you will make has a cost/benefit associated with it and only you can decide which benefits are worth the cost - for you.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Hemi/Tow Package
mhass302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg302 View Post
^true.

Just remember, its not that you will necessarily "lose HP" the engine will make what it makes. You will just be using that same power to move a heaver object; it's basic Physics.

Gears help, but also remember the higher the gear ratio, i.e. 4:10s, the less MPG you will see as you will cruise in a different RPM range.

All depends on the wheel type. I you are going from a steel wheel to aluminum, even if a bit larger, you would drop a few lbs. And, if you maintain the overall tire OD (highly recommeneded so you dont have to swtich your speedo gears) you will be carrying less rubber, but it maybe wider.... its a delicate balance.

If you plan to cruise around town and not drag race (i.e. my father, hence the V6 purchase) then get a set of nice looking wheels. Again, you need to remember the larger the rim, the more expensive the tire, as there are less options (supply and demand, business 101).

Go to tirerack and pick one style tire, whatever you like - doesn't matter, and look at the difference in the cost of 17's, 18' & 20s - if they even offer 20s as the options shrink greatly.

Just remember almost every decision you will make has a cost/benefit associated with it and only you can decide which benefits are worth the cost - for you.
Ironically enough 20" tires aren't much more expensive then 17's are. Due to the car companies going to larger stock wheels. However I still think 18's are best overall on the 05+ model. You can still get a decent tire on them and still have a proportioned look.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang