Ram Air - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Ram Air

Thinking about making my own Ram Air out of dryer exhaust piping. So far Im thinking of attaching the setup to the factory air box via an adapter of some sort and some sort of rubber seal. Then I am also thinking about running one hose from this to a splitter. Then from the splitter I will have one pipe running from the passenger's side lover grill opening and the driver's side lower grille opening.

In total it will probably run me about 20 bucks to do.
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
If it works, could ya post pix? I'd be interested in doin somethin similar if it's alright with you...
DrSalt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Ram Air

yeah thats straight ill do a full walk through when im done
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks
Old 05-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

no problem dude, just to give you an ETA ill probably be posting the results in about 8 to 10 days. Cuz between now and then I should have more than enough time to do it and tries some runs, to see if I can record any difference.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #6

Region: Kansas

im excited to the end product. hit us up with a link
2010 Grabber Blue V6 5 SPD. Ford Racing Short Throw Shifter, Roush Side Rockers, Roush Rear Valance, Roush Spoiler, Pypes Duals w/ Pro Street Mufflers, 35W 10K HID's, Airaid CAI w/ Diablo Predator Tune, H&R Springs w/ Tokico HP's. X-Charger Build Summer of 2012!
NVRblu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

will do, I was planning on doing it this past weekend but had a change of plans and won't be able to get it done till next weekend.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks
Old 06-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

No sir.

The amount of bends and splits and curves are going to knock out any gain...not to mention that gain wouldn't be there until great speeds are achieved.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
No sir.

The amount of bends and splits and curves are going to knock out any gain...not to mention that gain wouldn't be there until great speeds are achieved.
Ram Air Project

Ill get the numbers when I run it and well see. You gotta be an optimist.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #11

Region: Canada

I have a Ram Air on my sixer from WMS, works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wms_02.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	27599  
JimmySlort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via ICQ to Pete07GT Send a message via AIM to Pete07GT Send a message via Yahoo to Pete07GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmySlort View Post
I have a Ram Air on my sixer from WMS, works great.
I looked at that for my 07 GT but read in a 5.0 Magazine article that the CAI you're running produces the lowest gains out of like 10 CAI's they rated. No offense or anything. I was checking out carbon fiber ram air hoods & found them for around $800 that I figured I would invest in myself.

Your setup looks pretty sweet though, how does it run?
When you're going to war, you better have three things if you expect to win: 1. Willpower (One's need to put the petal to the metal); 2. Staying Power (300+ BHP); and 3. Firepower (The wheels of your mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45).
Pete07GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #13

Region: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete07GT View Post
I looked at that for my 07 GT but read in a 5.0 Magazine article that the CAI you're running produces the lowest gains out of like 10 CAI's they rated. No offense or anything. I was checking out carbon fiber ram air hoods & found them for around $800 that I figured I would invest in myself.

Your setup looks pretty sweet though, how does it run?
Ya, I've seen both pros and cons on this unit and I wonder how they measure the effectiveness of CIAs (WMS website charts tell a different story). As I went from stock to this unit, I can't comment on how it compares to other CIAs. What I do know is that I noticed a big difference in performance especially the way it has evened out my power curve, most notably over 3500 rmp. I've had the WMS in for about a year and a half and a few months ago I put on a take-off GT muffler…not sure if that did anything power wise, but it sounds sweet.
JimmySlort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #14

Region: Kansas

That CAI does look pretty cool Jimmy. Reminds me of a T.A. intake
2010 Grabber Blue V6 5 SPD. Ford Racing Short Throw Shifter, Roush Side Rockers, Roush Rear Valance, Roush Spoiler, Pypes Duals w/ Pro Street Mufflers, 35W 10K HID's, Airaid CAI w/ Diablo Predator Tune, H&R Springs w/ Tokico HP's. X-Charger Build Summer of 2012!
NVRblu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

Don't be cheap and just buy an intake man. You are going to ruin your airbox and have to buy a new one any how plus you will be sucking up more road debris and dust most likely. The engineers at ford designed that intake box so it runs optimally with the best performance.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

it wont help any really, the only advantage is the cooler air it sucks with the pipe added.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #17
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 juice
Don't be cheap and just buy an intake man. You are going to ruin your airbox and have to buy a new one any how plus you will be sucking up more road debris and dust most likely. The engineers at ford designed that intake box so it runs optimally with the best performance.
Shhh don't say that! Alot of ppl on this forum think they know better than ford! Lol
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 juice View Post
lol ruin my airbox? dont be so melodramatic, im only adding some tubing. And if the engineers at ford made the airbox to run optimally then how come they offer a ford racing airbox, that breathes better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking View Post
Shhh don't say that! Alot of ppl on this forum think they know better than ford! Lol
lol, engineers are right about alot of things but their also alot of things. You cant tell me that the engineers for the 90's Taurus' had "the right idea" b/c that was one of the biggest pos's that ford ever made lol
Old 06-15-2011, 12:58 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Pete07GT Send a message via AIM to Pete07GT Send a message via Yahoo to Pete07GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by junoS197Bl08
lol, engineers are right about alot of things but their also alot of things. You cant tell me that the engineers for the 90's Taurus' had "the right idea" b/c that was one of the biggest pos's that ford ever made lol
You callin' Robocop's car a P.O.S.?

You don't wanna mess with Robocop.
When you're going to war, you better have three things if you expect to win: 1. Willpower (One's need to put the petal to the metal); 2. Staying Power (300+ BHP); and 3. Firepower (The wheels of your mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45).
Old 06-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by junoS197Bl08 View Post
lol ruin my airbox? dont be so melodramatic, im only adding some tubing. And if the engineers at ford made the airbox to run optimally then how come they offer a ford racing airbox, that breathes better.

Yes you are going to ruin your airbox... You're going to cut a whole in it. So when this "ram air" fails, which it will, sorry to shlt on your idea. You will have to buy a new intake. I guess you can just get the ford racing one. You can always make things more efficient but you have to have a market for it.

I would love to see you post back with proven results!

I guess you and all the other cheap ricers on the road will be blowing past everyone with your ducktape dryer lines.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Why ate you guys shootin him down? Let him do his thing. if it works, then props to him. if it doesnt, you can talk ish to him then. Not now. Let him do what ^he wants for now...
Old 06-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes you are going to ruin your airbox... You're going to cut a whole in it. So when this "ram air" fails, which it will, sorry to shlt on your idea. You will have to buy a new intake. I guess you can just get the ford racing one. You can always make things more efficient but you have to have a market for it.

I would love to see you post back with proven results!

I guess you and all the other cheap ricers on the road will be blowing past everyone with your ducktape dryer lines.
why would i cut a whole in my airbox...why dont u actually read some posts before u make up some bs idea of how to make ur own ram air. sorry ur idea is flawed, and if my doesnt work well big freakin woop i will have dropped 25 bucks, i dont know how i will recover from that geez its such a big freakin deal.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete07GT View Post
You callin' Robocop's car a P.O.S.?

You don't wanna mess with Robocop.
lol

me: Robo cop ur car is a pos
Robo cop: does not compute
Old 06-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by junoS197Bl08

why would i cut a whole in my airbox...why dont u actually read some posts before u make up some bs idea of how to make ur own ram air. sorry ur idea is flawed, and if my doesnt work well big freakin woop i will have dropped 25 bucks, i dont know how i will recover from that geez its such a big freakin deal.
Lol. Some ppl just don't know what they are talking about. I say do it and see what happens!
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSalt22 View Post
Why ate you guys shootin him down? Let him do his thing. if it works, then props to him. if it doesnt, you can talk ish to him then. Not now. Let him do what ^he wants for now...
thank you
Old 06-15-2011, 11:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking View Post
Lol. Some ppl just don't know what they are talking about. I say do it and see what happens!
thanks Texas will do
Old 06-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Do it & if it works, perfect it, trademark it, then sh*t on Robocop..
Old 06-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thinking about making my own Ram Air out of dryer exhaust piping. So far Im thinking of attaching the setup to the factory air box via an adapter of some sort and some sort of rubber seal. Then I am also thinking about running one hose from this to a splitter. Then from the splitter I will have one pipe running from the passenger's side lover grill opening and the driver's side lower grille opening.

In total it will probably run me about 20 bucks to do.
Quote:
First off from the quoted message above, please type like you are educated. Your airbox is inclosed... how are you going to get to it without cutting a hole in it? LOL. I am in this thread for fail.

I can really analyze your original post with all those descriptive "some sort of" phrases...
Old 06-19-2011, 02:21 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
First off from the quoted message above, please type like you are educated. Your airbox is inclosed... how are you going to get to it without cutting a hole in it? LOL. I am in this thread for fail.

I can really analyze your original post with all those descriptive "some sort of" phrases...
of course when you realize that you are wrong then you have to hate on the grammar from somebody's post and in case you didn't already realize the airbox already has a hole in it, where the air box takes in air....and they make these things called adapters so I'm probably gunna use one of those. Pretty much everybody else got what I was saying except you.

By the way I'm in my junior year in college and have a 3.85 GPA, so sorry that in my leisure time I like to be chill with the way I talk. Didn't know you were employed as the grammar police.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:26 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

just to inform you when you say the air box is enclosed, that enclosure that you are referring to is the air box itself. Why don't you actually learn what ur talking about and ask a question instead of automatically being a dick because you don't know what ur talking about. I would be glad to help you with any issues you have or projects you want to do, and I 'm sure many other people would to but if ur just gunna be a dick then get off this forum.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
just to inform you when you say the air box is enclosed, that enclosure that you are referring to is the air box itself. Why don't you actually learn what ur talking about and ask a question instead of automatically being a dick because you don't know what ur talking about. I would be glad to help you with any issues you have or projects you want to do, and I 'm sure many other people would to but if ur just gunna be a dick then get off this forum.
I'm just trying to save you money and trying to have you avoid ruining your airbox. I'm in no way attacking you I am just trying to point out that you will be wasting your time IMHO! This has been done on my old honda forum and it is a waste. I'm not comparing hondas and mustangs but this is just a plain waste for any automobile when it comes to homemade rig-ups. It is your car do what you want, it is your money do what you want with it. I'm just stating my opinion on this free forum that anybody can join. If you get offended this easily... well.... um... I don't know what to say.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thats not an attack? that sounds like the sort of thing a kindergartener would say, so before you insult people for how they talk you should at least use the spell check thats built into the forum....

using whole when u meant hole in an earlier text, LOL is not a sentence so there is no need to put a period after using "LOL". "I am in this thread for fail" is just a dick thing to say and also does not grammatically make sense. So now that you realize u were being a dick then u go further to say that I was over reacting. Major LOL <-I didn't write that 100% grammatically correct but I hope that you can understand what I'm implying.

This is a mustang forum, not an English forum, but if that's what you were looking for well I'll help you get there Learn English, Study English, Teach English as a second language

And "save me money" lol I didn't buy a Prius so obviously that's not my only goal here. I think I can spare the Price of 23 McDoubles. McDonald's might not be so happy tho...but if you would like to help them get through this hard time here u go Contact us :: McDonalds.com
Old 06-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thats not an attack? that sounds like the sort of thing a kindergartener would say, so before you insult people for how they talk you should at least use the spell check thats built into the forum....

using whole when u meant hole in an earlier text, LOL is not a sentence so there is no need to put a period after using "LOL". "I am in this thread for fail" is just a dick thing to say and also does not grammatically make sense. So now that you realize u were being a dick then u go further to say that I was over reacting. Major LOL <-I didn't write that 100% grammatically correct but I hope that you can understand what I'm implying.

This is a mustang forum, not an English forum, but if that's what you were looking for well I'll help you get there Learn English, Study English, Teach English as a second language

And "save me money" lol I didn't buy a Prius so obviously that's not my only goal here. I think I can spare the Price of 23 McDoubles. McDonald's might not be so happy tho...but if you would like to help them get through this hard time here u go Contact us :: McDonalds.com

If you seriously get offended this easily you need help. Like I said before I'm not being a "dlck" or trying to be mean, I'm trying to help you by not letting you waste your time!

I'm trying to save you money because you will most likely have to go about cutting a HOLE in your airbox to make this functional in anyway. Doing this will ruin your airbox and will cost you more money then a couple mcdoubles to replace.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I'll see a McDouble & raise you a McRib.. Mmmmm McDonald's, gooood. Awhuhuhuh.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
[/B]

If you seriously get offended this easily you need help. Like I said before I'm not being a "dlck" or trying to be mean, I'm trying to help you by not letting you waste your time!

I'm trying to save you money because you will most likely have to go about cutting a HOLE in your airbox to make this functional in anyway. Doing this will ruin your airbox and will cost you more money then a couple mcdoubles to replace.
Like I have said I am not going to cut a hole in my air box, open up your hood every once in a while and ull understand. And in case you didn't realize its summer time. So ima definitely have a few hours to do this project.

and as to ur comment about me needing help, I think you should realize I was obviously joking about most of the stuff I said to prove a point. Either way you said some stuff that was pointless so, know maybe ull realize there is no point in acting like that on here, cuz most people don't want to hear what you have to say about something, unless you have experience with it or you have built the respect of others on here.

For example, spec said that all this would probably do would be to bring cold air to the intake, obviously that comment was a legitimate point to make and is a possibility.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang