Mustang Evolution Forum banner

What mods can get 350+hp?

43K views 122 replies 40 participants last post by  Bastard6 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a 05-09 4.0L v6 and have 350hp? Or even 300+hp? If you do what mods did you use to get it. Iv been trying to research everywhere and I can't find out how I can achieve this goal.

#7 ·
Yes. Bolt ons aren't going to net you much at all. New heads, upper/lower intakes, those will get you some, but will be in the 4 digit range price wise. Forced induction and/or nitrous is really the only way you'll get there.

#6 · (Edited)
Remember, he's not in a 99-04 V6, at least I assume that since he posted in the 05-10 V6 section.

However, 350 rwhp I think is going to be tough to get to without some sort of power added in the V6. 350 at the block, maybe with boltons assuming you start with the 300 hp V6 and what not, but at the wheels will definitely need a power adder of some sort.

#12 ·
What year is your car? I'm not up on the 05+ v6 power gains per mod...but, CAI, under drive pulley, long tubes, mid pipe and cat back, plus custom dyno tune might...key word....MIGHT...gain you about 50 rwhp. Without the tune you're looking at around 20-25 hp gain probably...so wherever your car starts initially will determine where those mods will put you.

if you're starting at 200-225 hp stock, you're not going to reach 310 hp with any basic bolt ons without replacing heads, cam, upper/lower intakes....which will put you well into the 4 digit cost range.

#13 ·
PureVenom said:
What year is your car? I'm not up on the 05+ v6 power gains per mod...but, CAI, under drive pulley, long tubes, mid pipe and cat back, plus custom dyno tune might...key word....MIGHT...gain you about 50 rwhp. Without the tune you're looking at around 20-25 hp gain probably...so wherever your car starts initially will determine where those mods will put you.

if you're starting at 200-225 hp stock, you're not going to reach 310 hp with any basic bolt ons without replacing heads, cam, upper/lower intakes....which will put you well into the 4 digit cost range.
Where can I buy the upper/lower intakes, cmam and heads?

#14 ·
I have an 08 V6 and I'm at 373 at the wheels... Wasn't cheap and it was a long road to get there.... However I have not changed heads or any of the internals an made it this far but now in stuck until I do get forged internals...... But here's the list and I'm sure I'll forget something..... Throttle body, throttle body spacer, headers, underdrive pullies, screamin demon coilpack and 10mm wires with iridium tipped plugs, t-lok, 373 gears, sts rear mount turbo with professional dyno tune, and what ever else I'm forgetting lol

#15 ·
Where did you buy everything from?

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

I have a 2005 4.0L v6 and im wanting to reach atleast 310 and it doesnt have to be just bolt ons and where is the best place to buy from?

#16 ·
Johnstonb93 said:
Where did you buy everything from?

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

I have a 2005 4.0L v6 and im wanting to reach atleast 310 and it doesnt have to be just bolt ons and where is the best place to buy from?
Americanmuscle.com and the turbo I bought off a guy on craigslist.... But can be bought from their site

#18 ·
stampde said:
ive got it all , full exhaust ,pullies, cold air ,and a tune only put down 205 to the wheels witch is probably around 250 range maybe ?? deff need a power adder , or serious head,cam WORK and possibly stroker to get above 300 hp NA
What kind of car you got?

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Get some exhaust,Cai,tuner and gears then we can build it

#19 ·
Only 2 mods needed for all the hp u could want in a street stang.

First mod: put a v8 in it with forged internals and low compression... Secound mod: attach a blower kit and have a few diffrent pullies to change how much boost ur going to run... Remember smile and have fun (shouldnt b to hard lol) ;)

#20 ·
whats your budget? everything you need to get you there is in the thousands + installation. to install gears and tlok alone can range from around 500-900 bucks. turbos even more.etc. if thats not an issue ur good

#21 ·
the problem with your goal is cost for starters, most dont end up putting 10k in to their 99-04 V6 as once they realize that after that bit of an investment they are left with a rather quick car, but its still worth what a 99-04 V6 is worth and has not much more room for growth. It takes a special person that really wants to succeed with that type of car to invest the money into it. Most are just college or high school kids that want more hp/tq but cant afford another car... they end up investing or wasting tons of money and the final product is something they wish they would have not done.

You have to sit back and really think about your goals and what investing that kind of money into your car will get you in the end both immediately and down the road. Anytime you modify a car to a high level you run into MANY issues, some you never even dreamed of... if you cant afford to blow up your car or be without it for a long period of time I highly recommend you dont heavily modify the vehicle... especially if its your primary source of transportation.

I know its hard to do but you may just have to do a few little things and save up and get another vehicle thats more along the lines of what you want. I know 350hp sounds like a lot but in reality its not THAT much and wont feel super fast for very long and you will end up wanting more and more and more.

If you really want to go with the 3.8L platform then thats great... but you really need to realize the risks and rewards for investment you are looking at... and the return on investment is rather bad. A chunk of change like 7-10k might be better served doing something else with it rather than throwing most of it away on some mods for your car :(

Just something to think about.

#26 ·
"Johnston93", I feel that "InspectorV" has the most accurate and Honest information about your whole goal in this adventure. And I agree 100% with it.

#28 ·
you can make anything fast and its fine if you want to go that route, but you really should sit back and think about the good/bad parts of doing it so you know what you are really getting into.

#30 ·
If your truly dedicated to 350 hp then save money buy a crate engine v8 block maybe a crashed terminator or lightning and save yourself a bundle and you can still mod it. If you put the money it would cost you to keep up with a termi. Or a lightning most-likely your car might not be street legal therefore you lose drivability for a slow car my old 1990 civic had about 90 hp and wasn't street legal. Just think smarter not harder

#32 ·
Then, think more of a "Horsepower Gain", more so than a specific HP "number". I think you will come out better that way.

#34 ·
On American muscle there is an xcharger supercharger kit. Comes with everything you need to reach your potential goal. If you watch the build of the 2005 v6 they reached well over 300 with nitrous. Really depends on when and how you want the power.
Just remember that the stock clutch will not hold that much power for long. So you will need to change the gears, tune, clutch and fly wheel. Among a few other products.

#36 ·
even this is $4,470, and the better version is $5,970. The results you will get are not worth the amount of money your going to spend, and i believe thats the general consensus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.