slippery + no grip - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2011, 05:52 AM   #1

Region: Asia
slippery + no grip

Hey guys,

A few weeks ago I changed my front tires and installed a set of Kumho Solus KH21 215/65R16 Tires. I did not do any tire alignment/balance after I installed the set.

A few days after, I was driving around in my 2005 V6 when suddenly I felt that the car's slippery on the group. As soon as I hit the breaks, the car start spinning around on the highway. Turned out that the Engine Coolant Gel was leaking and cause the whole thing.

I towed the car and fixed the problem.

Now, the car's very slippery when there's some water on the ground (I'm talking about a little bit of water, as if somebody had washed a car earlier on the side of the road). If I'm driving on the highway, and there's a small bump on the road while I'm making a turn, the car feels as if it's about to shift to the adjacent lane. The car's grip on turns is really not the same.

I have no faith in my Mustang and I'm driving it slower than I would be driving a Nissan Tiida (Nissan Tiida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

My back tires are Winter tires.

Any tips?
WolfLust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: slippery + no grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfLust View Post
Hey guys,

A few weeks ago I changed my front tires and installed a set of Kumho Solus KH21 215/65R16 Tires. I did not do any tire alignment/balance after I installed the set.

A few days after, I was driving around in my 2005 V6 when suddenly I felt that the car's slippery on the group. As soon as I hit the breaks, the car start spinning around on the highway. Turned out that the Engine Coolant Gel was leaking and cause the whole thing.

I towed the car and fixed the problem.

Now, the car's very slippery when there's some water on the ground (I'm talking about a little bit of water, as if somebody had washed a car earlier on the side of the road). If I'm driving on the highway, and there's a small bump on the road while I'm making a turn, the car feels as if it's about to shift to the adjacent lane. The car's grip on turns is really not the same.

I have no faith in my Mustang and I'm driving it slower than I would be driving a Nissan Tiida (Nissan Tiida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

My back tires are Winter tires.

Any tips?
First off, if your engine coolant (antifreeze) looks like gel you need to drain it and flush the system then install new antifreeze & water mixture.

It sounds like the antifreeze had an adverse effect on your tires, although I cannot imagine this happening to this extent as I have never heard of it before.
Have you taken the car to a car wash and washed the tires thoroughly?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #3

I washed the car twice since the accident. They wash the tires but they don't do it that thoroughly.

The Ford dealer must have fixed and replaced everything when I towed the car to their garage.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

Do you think the alignment/balance has anything to do with it?

I can't imagine myself driving the car when it starts raining
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to 00STANG00 Send a message via Yahoo to 00STANG00
if alignment when you brake it'll pull to the left or right. it'll do that also without braking but not as much.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I washed the car twice since the accident. They wash the tires but they don't do it that thoroughly.

The Ford dealer must have fixed and replaced everything when I towed the car to their garage.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

Do you think the alignment/balance has anything to do with it?

I can't imagine myself driving the car when it starts raining
I can't imagine that the alignment and tire balance would be off far enough to cause the episode you described and you not able to tell it right away, but you should have it aligned and balanced anyways to improve the handling and life of your tires.

Antifreeze will make your tires very slippery, but it should also wear off quickly.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #6

Could it be ****ty tires? Would the rear or the front tires cause the car to slip over water?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Could it be ****ty tires? Would the rear or the front tires cause the car to slip over water?
Yes, if they don't have enough tread left on them to channel the water away.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Those tires suck. Before I bought my new rims I had those Solus because they were cheap. In the rain or snow i had zero traction. My stand does not gave abs or traction control and it was hell driving it. If you can get rid of them fast.
goherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Yeah, umm... My sisters Kia rio had those tires standard. I think that should tell you something
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #10

Region: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra View Post
Yeah, umm... My sisters Kia rio had those tires standard. I think that should tell you something

Haha
albabb is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang