What is the best cold air intake to purchase without a tune for a 2008 4.0 v-6? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #1

Region: South Carolina
What is the best cold air intake to purchase without a tune for a 2008 4.0 v-6?

Please give me the best in your own opinion. Trying to increase power and sound. Thanks!
Since64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #2

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since64
Please give me the best in your own opinion. Trying to increase power and sound. Thanks!
Probably a BBK... I looked on American Muscle for you and the best one I see, that does not require a tune, and is 50 state carb legal is the BBK! Other wise I would say a Steeda cai! Then again that's what I put on my GT and LOVE it hehe but again it required a tune... The one thing I do not understand is why some require a tune and others do not... So that I could not tell you! Hehe
Old 01-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I just ordered a jlt last Thursday
saxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Re: What is the best cold air intake to purchase without a tune for a 2008 4.0 v-6?

Getting a CAI that doesn't require a tune means that you didn't change anything so don't expect a performance difference. The performance is 90% in the tune to begin with. My wife commented once that getting one that doesn't require a tune "so it is just to look pretty?"

Even those that don't require a tune quite often will cause you to throw a code anyway.

The CAI is supposed to open the air flow to the engine. That is done both through the different air filter element, as well as a larger intake itself. The no tune required intakes try to maintain the same size intake and keep the MAF at stock.

So yes, it looks nicer but you are still trying to run simply the stock set up so no real performance gain.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #5

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang07GTgirl

Probably a BBK... I looked on American Muscle for you and the best one I see, that does not require a tune, and is 50 state carb legal is the BBK! Other wise I would say a Steeda cai! Then again that's what I put on my GT and LOVE it hehe but again it required a tune... The one thing I do not understand is why some require a tune and others do not... So that I could not tell you! Hehe
Thanks sooo much! You helped a lot

---------- Post added at 03:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Getting a CAI that doesn't require a tune means that you didn't change anything so don't expect a performance difference. The performance is 90% in the tune to begin with. My wife commented once that getting one that doesn't require a tune "so it is just to look pretty?"

Even those that don't require a tune quite often will cause you to throw a code anyway.

The CAI is supposed to open the air flow to the engine. That is done both through the different air filter element, as well as a larger intake itself. The no tune required intakes try to maintain the same size intake and keep the MAF at stock.

So yes, it looks nicer but you are still trying to run simply the stock set up so no real performance gain.
Thanks! Maybe I'll try something with a tune instead!
Since64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #6

Save up for a tuner and cai combo you will be way more satisfied with 93octane race tune. Also recommend jlt cold air intake and bbk throttle body
ovyallday89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Agreed jlt is of the chain just make sure to plug the mass air flow sensor up because if you don't your car will flip out and will cause engine damage
saxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Save up for the tuner CAI combo!...
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Re: What is the best cold air intake to purchase without a tune for a 2008 4.0 v-6?

got a C & L on my 2006 ,works great !!!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Send a message via Skype™ to JetWolf
Go for something with a tune, I got a stack racing CAI and it throws codes all the time because the gasket wiggles loose every couple months even after I made a custom brand new one for it.

If you're going for performance and sound you're going to want to invest good money so you don't risk damaging your engine or anything else, so don't go cheap, save up and you will not regret it one bit!

I went cheap on a high school budget and now it takes regular maintenance, I should've invested good money in a higher quality product, which ill do from now on..!

Good luck and have fun!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Tags
cold air intake