Creaking & sloppy steering - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Creaking & sloppy steering

Trading in my '07 V6 in a few months, but still need to fix a few things before I do. Doesn't need to be perfect, but I don't want it to fall apart like a Blues Brothers scene in the dealer parking lot either.

I've had this creaking going on that I'm not sure the source of. I got some rain water in my car a few times and I noticed a little rusting under the seat, so I thought that was the source of the creaking in the seat. I redid the seat covers though and when I did, I lubed up all the moving parts and repainted the rusted parts. Later, I realized that it was much more pronounced when the car moves around at all (like if I'm shifting around in the seat) while parked on a hill. So I'm now realizing it's coming from the suspension somewhere. Not sure where and what to look for exactly, so any direction would be appreciated.

Strangely, I also have creaking in the brake pedal, which is why I first thought all the creaking was from rain water rusting. I lubed what I could, but soon realized, as the noise increased, that it's only when the brake is fully depressed, so it's not the movement of the pedal itself. When it first started, I just thought it was related to brakes and had them looked at when I had my car at the dealer for service. They said I still had life left on the pads and I didn't question it further at the time because it wasn't too bad. 6 months later it's pretty loud. Might need new pads by now, but there's obviously another issue because it's not a low pad/grinding rotors type a sound. It's a creaking when the pedal is depressed.

And finally, steering is getting pretty sloppy. I recently replaced a LCA and the tires are in pretty good shape. What're the most likely culprits?

Thanks for any ideas ya'll got.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I know this is off topic bit are you trading your v6 for a gt
saxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
How I troubleshoot these problems is I have someone re-create the symptom while I locate it. Have someone turn the stearing wheel back and forth while you follow every moving part all the way through untill u see what isn't moving as much as it should. Have someone recreate the noises while you follow all the moving parts, joints, and linkages listening for the sound. You can even feel the creaking the best at its source. Works for me every time, good luck!
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Re: Creaking & sloppy steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8 View Post
How I troubleshoot these problems is I have someone re-create the symptom while I locate it. Have someone turn the stearing wheel back and forth while you follow every moving part all the way through untill u see what isn't moving as much as it should. Have someone recreate the noises while you follow all the moving parts, joints, and linkages listening for the sound. You can even feel the creaking the best at its source. Works for me every time, good luck!
Good idea. Have a dealer appt tomorrow but at least want to identify the problem first & may fix myself so will do; thanks.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman
Good idea. Have a dealer appt tomorrow but at least want to identify the problem first & may fix myself so will do; thanks.
Very good! Always good to know what's wrong before you go to a mechanic especially if ur not under warantee.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang