Fiinally decdied. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-19-2012, 02:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Fiinally decdied.

So, for the longest time i was thinking trade in for 2015GT, but i love my baby as I was cleaning the rims up today i decided I'm just gonna supercharge it, I've been saving for a down payment for 2015 but that moneys gonna go to a turbo, within the year (hopefully in around 5-6 months) looking at the powerhouse turbos and than before or after that gonna put an 8.8 rear I just cant find one man its so hard! idk why. Anyone have any tips fpr me? Eventually ill get to internals the goal is around 350-400RWHP I heard a few people make cams for the 4.0 I don't really wanna switch out trannys I figure around 8k saved will get me some good numbers. Any tips? Is Powerhouse good to go with?

Btw excuse errors, ill fix it after soberness

Btw when i was buying something at 7/11 this dude walk up to me hes like that your stang? im like yeah man hes like thats hot hes like v6 or 8? I'm like 6 hes like oh that sucks... I'm like yeah you'd be surprised..... soon man soon!
Babystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Re: Fiinally decdied.

Which supercharger are you going with?

I have the Xcharger Xtreme - great little roots style and put my car in the 12's (surprising a lot of V8's). It's easy to install, and has that great whine when you get on it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Nice! Just trying to help but supersixmotorsports has cams and heads and what not on their website. Thought this would help with your search
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Which supercharger are you going with?

I have the Xcharger Xtreme - great little roots style and put my car in the 12's (surprising a lot of V8's). It's easy to install, and has that great whine when you get on it.
I'm looking at turbos actually. I heard they're a little more worth it. A little more power for the cost and less stress from what I've heard. But your numbers sound good.

As for the cams and all that thanks for the info def will come in handy I've been looking for that.

Also apologies for the post being a little mis-spelled and unintelligent. I had a little too many last night.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

What are your plans for the car? The turbo is great at the drag strip because of how it builds power, but on the street (like making a quick lane change on the highway) you can't beat the low end torque of a roots type blower.

As far as stress on the engine, boost is boost and it doesn't matter how you get it for the most part. The turbo though does put more stress on the exhaust valves so you should plan to upgrade the springs.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

This is going to be awesome bruh.... I want to do the same to mines but I don't have the patients just yet me being a youngsta lol and all!!! Please keep ME posted because I might consider it if someone else has good luck on theirs
saxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What are your plans for the car? The turbo is great at the drag strip because of how it builds power, but on the street (like making a quick lane change on the highway) you can't beat the low end torque of a roots type blower.

As far as stress on the engine, boost is boost and it doesn't matter how you get it for the most part. The turbo though does put more stress on the exhaust valves so you should plan to upgrade the springs.
Tbh, as much as I most likely will be going to the track once in awhile the main goal is a show car with a kick. I want a build that I can turn around and say yeah it's a six, than start it up and watch reactions . thinking about what you said maybe I am better off with a supercharger though. Can a supercharger still bring good numbers because from what I've seen people usually choose turbos for more power. What am I looking at with let's say a decent supercharger (x-charger?) heads and cams... And a decent tune. Im looking at putting anywhere from 8-10k performance wise.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Turbo does produce more power, and once spooled up at the track they are quick (two friends have put their cars into the 11's one with a Powerhouse turbo and the other with a custom design). So if you want an impressive dyno sheet to display at shows, the turbo will give you that.

But on the street, the Xcharger will give you the instant boost. But it doesn't produce the same power. It does look nice under the hood though.

The first two pictures are the Xcharger as it comes from Explorer Express, and the second two with the stripe are after I upgraded to the Xtreme intercooler and painted the blower to match my car.

And when you get on the throttle the Xcharger screams like a banshee. All of my friends say they can always tell when I'm making a pass without even looking at the track (unless a GT500 or Terminator is there, since their blowers also scream).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 012.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	41249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 013.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	41250  

Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (2).JPG
Views:	252
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	41251   Click image for larger version

Name:	002 (2).JPG
Views:	146
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	41252  

Old 02-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Here are some youtube videos of the car at the track so you can hear the scream

Old 02-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Does look awesome and sounds amazing lol. Now you got me double guessing since the look is important as well as the sound. If you don't mind me asking are you in the low 12's or high and anything else don't to the car internals or exhaust or anything?
Edit: also do you have the stock 7.5 rear end?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

The car runs mid/upper 12's (12.6 - 12.7), not bad for a heavy convertible with 196,000 miles on it. (the convertible weighs quite a bit more than the coupe). A coupe with a good tune should be quicker. I need to get it in for a dyno tune session because it is running really rich, the AFR is around 10.5 at wide open throttle so there is a lot left on the table, but things keep coming up and I have to keep cancelling the session with Lidio at Alternative Auto. Hopefully I can get it in before racing season starts up again.

The bottom and top end of the engine are stock, and still on the stock torque convertor (automatic). I swapped to the 8.8 rear end after breaking the 7.5 that I tried to build up when the car only had a CAI, tune, and a set of drag radials on it. The torque from the Xcharger comes on so low in the rpm range (almost like the nitrous did when I was running that but it is more linear and consistent) that with drag radials a 7.5 wouldn't last long.

Dual exhaust with FRPP X pipe and stock cat forward - I had the GT take offs but picked up a set of the GTB mufflers this summer with a gift certificate. About the same at idle, just a little deeper tone to them. At WOT they are a little louder, but the scream of the Xcharger is louder still!

I also have the Shaftmasters 4" aluminum driveshaft, FRPP rear springs for a small drop in the back, HotPart LCA's and the adjustable UCA, and the UMI Performance relocation brackets set on the top hole. I found that the bottom hole was too severe an angle on the LCA's and it was hurting the 60' times.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

So if you can give me a ball park figure of how much you have invested in your car
saxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

The figure would first be higher than I would like to tell my wife! And second it would be lower than you'd expect, but only because I got a great deal on the Xcharger. Someone I know on another forum was putting his car back to stock, but had tossed out all the stock components and needed them. So we worked out a swap and I sent all the stock components to his shop and his shop swapped his car back to stock, boxed up the Xcharger and sent it to me. I just had to pay the cost of shipping parts back and forth and the shop time for R&R on his car. So got it for a LOT less than would normally be the case.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the issue here is if it blows up your screwed, its costly, and you wont get anything out of it down the road for your investment (using that worse very loose as cars or car parts are not investments)

thats the downside to it... and believe me the more heavily you mod the MORE trouble you run into... just part of it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
the issue here is if it blows up your screwed, its costly, and you wont get anything out of it down the road for your investment (using that worse very loose as cars or car parts are not investments)

thats the downside to it... and believe me the more heavily you mod the MORE trouble you run into... just part of it.
Oh, of course but there are cars much more heavily modded than what I plan still rocking the 4.0 so im hoping I'll be ok at a lower psi and a good tune.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry for the double post but wanna make sure it's read. Does anyone know what shorty headers should cost to install? And are there future problems with headers? I know I've heard long tubes can cause problems that's why I'm going with shorties but my friend said both cause problems, is this true?
Old 02-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Shorties are fairly easy to install, but I don't know what a shop in your area would charge you. It will take them a couple of hours more than likely.

As far as "problems" I haven't heard of any and know lots of people running the shorties and one with long tubes. Performance gains are minimal, with shorties giving a little better sound (especially if the long tubes require removing the cats, which may be the "problems").

For a turbo application the long tubes are more of a problem because of the way the turbo is set up - and I don't know anyone running long tubes with a turbo set up.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Shorties are fairly easy to install, but I don't know what a shop in your area would charge you. It will take them a couple of hours more than likely.

As far as "problems" I haven't heard of any and know lots of people running the shorties and one with long tubes. Performance gains are minimal, with shorties giving a little better sound (especially if the long tubes require removing the cats, which may be the "problems").

For a turbo application the long tubes are more of a problem because of the way the turbo is set up - and I don't know anyone running long tubes with a turbo set up.
Thanks for the info... Shorties will work with a S/Cer and a turbo set up as well if I'm not mistaken?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

That is correct, shorties will work with either.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
It's your decision but personally I would wait a little longer and get the 50th anniversary Mustang.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to SoCalKev
Quote:
Turbo does produce more power, and once spooled up at the track they are quick (two friends have put their cars into the 11's one with a Powerhouse turbo and the other with a custom design). So if you want an impressive dyno sheet to display at shows, the turbo will give you that.

But on the street, the Xcharger will give you the instant boost. But it doesn't produce the same power. It does look nice under the hood though.

The first two pictures are the Xcharger as it comes from Explorer Express, and the second two with the stripe are after I upgraded to the Xtreme intercooler and painted the blower to match my car.

And when you get on the throttle the Xcharger screams like a banshee. All of my friends say they can always tell when I'm making a pass without even looking at the track (unless a GT500 or Terminator is there, since their blowers also scream).
Without a doubt, that looks glorious but in a way terrifying lol!
SoCalKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Alright, so I'm not even going to lie the last couple of weeks have been quite nice to me, I'm looking at minimum one month, maximum 2 months (As long as my work keeps up, though that can change at any time tbh) I've gotten it down to two systems.

X-Charger Xtreme Supercharger Kit (05-10 V6) XS5556MX/2.6 - Free Shipping!

The intercooled X-Charger, Pros I have so far for this is the fact I can hopefully (Though I'm scared) install this myself, it will give me decent numbers especially being the intercooled one it works at low RPM's so since I'm mainly doing street driving, this will give me an advantage, looks nasty as hell and sounds just as nice.
Or
PipeLine Intercooled Single Turbo System V6 [PHA-TS05V6]SECONDARY_SECTION$5,195.00PRIMARY_SECTIONPowerhouse411

This turbo. Pros are of course it's a turbo so chances are I'll get more power from it than a supercharger, at equal PSI's the turbo will put out more. It's cheaper than the X-charger and it also sounds nasty. Cons would be the fact that I don't think I can install this myself (Not sure on cost, but im close enough to powerhouse automotive that they could install.) and the turbo dosen't come in till late RPM's.

I need help deciding guys, I'm semi-new to this and learning as I go, if any of my info is incorrect please just point me in the right direction (Sorry if I got info wrong, I try to do my research before annoying the forums.)

Thanks.

Edit: Just wanna add, Jimc you have been extremely helpful to me in this thread, if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have even double looked at the X-Charger and now I'm leaning more towards it. I just want to make sure I'm 100% before dropping almost $6,000. Nervous . Just not sure which is going to make me happier on the street and which is more fun. Also my friend is getting a 2010 Camaro SS soon, which I know I can't keep up with but I don't want to seem extremely weak next to it, mine will sound nicer either way
Old 03-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

The Xcharger is the easiest of all the power adders out there to install. You can do it yourself in the driveway. If you buy direct from Explorer Express you will have direct access to Dave and Patty the owners for any questions that come up. I've installed 2 kits - and had mine apart and back together with upgrading from the Xcharger to Xtreme. This month I am heading over to Toronto and helping out with an install as well. I am going to be testing an American Muscle tune for the Xcharger Xtreme this next month to get some comparison with data logging.

The Powerhouse turbo is a proven kit and will add a lot more RWHP than the Xcharger - when I go up against one of my friends with his Powerhouse turbo he always has me by a second (he is in the mid 11's now). It's much more involved to install a turbo, requires some more mechanical and maybe some welding skills too (I don't know if it is connected with clamps everywhere or if you have to weld some of the piping).

For street use the Xcharger has the low end power, the turbo on the street won't give you the same "oomph" when trying to quickly change lanes on the expressway. With the turbo you will want to upgrade the valve springs because the back pressure caused by the turbo will cause valve float at high rpm - the Xcharger doesn't create the same issue.

You'll be happy with either kit, but from what you describe as your intended use the Xcharger sounds like the right system for you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang