Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Turbo vs. Supercharger

33K views 83 replies 24 participants last post by  Sbales88 
#1 ·
Ok let's put an end to all the discussion and solve it right now.

If I put a turbo or supercharger on my 08 v6 first of all what is the best brand for each and second which one will leave the v8 junkies scratching there heads trying to figure out wtf just happened?!?

GO!!

#2 ·
Its a matter of opinion on brands. And neither will leave me scratching my head without a built engine

#11 ·
Turbos will give the most power and quickest track times. The turbo and centrifugal superchargers (basically a belt driven turbo) will continue to build power as the go through the 1/4 mile. They take longer to build power and torque though.

So it isn't enough to say "turbo for track and supercharger for street" because of the similarity of the turbo and centrifugal supercharger. The centrifugal is more street friendly than the turbo though, and the turbo is still tops for power.

The roots type of supercharger has more torque down low in the rpm, which makes it great on the street. But at the top end of the 1/4 mile it can't make any more power and the turbo and centrifugal can run it down. I always can get out quicker than my turbo friends, and they usually can run me down; the difference is I can run mid 12's at best and they can run mid 11's. The only roots type - positive displacement - for the 4.0 is the Explorer Express Xcharger.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

KenneBell doesn't make a blower for the 4.0. And you actually wouldn't feed the positive displacement with the turbo since the positive displacement blower starts out making power right away, while the turbo needs time to build boost. With a dual system the positive displacement has to feed the turbo to spool the turbo up quicker. But then the blower becomes the bottle neck in the system. It is possible, but not an easy balance and a real trick to tune the set up; which is why you don't see it often, tuning and balance plus the bottle neck messing with the flow of air.

#12 ·
JimC said:
Turbos will give the most power and quickest track times. The turbo and centrifugal superchargers (basically a belt driven turbo) will continue to build power as the go through the 1/4 mile. They take longer to build power and torque though.

So it isn't enough to say "turbo for track and supercharger for street" because of the similarity of the turbo and centrifugal supercharger. The centrifugal is more street friendly than the turbo though, and the turbo is still tops for power.

The roots type of supercharger has more torque down low in the rpm, which makes it great on the street. But at the top end of the 1/4 mile it can't make any more power and the turbo and centrifugal can run it down. I always can get out quicker than my turbo friends, and they usually can run me down; the difference is I can run mid 12's at best and they can run mid 11's. The only roots type - positive displacement - for the 4.0 is the Explorer Express Xcharger.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

KenneBell doesn't make a blower for the 4.0. And you actually wouldn't feed the positive displacement with the turbo since the positive displacement blower starts out making power right away, while the turbo needs time to build boost. With a dual system the positive displacement has to feed the turbo to spool the turbo up quicker. But then the blower becomes the bottle neck in the system. It is possible, but not an easy balance and a real trick to tune the set up; which is why you don't see it often, tuning and balance plus the bottle neck messing with the flow of air.
Actually the turbo feeds into the SC!.. How can you feed a Positive SC into a turbo??.... You can't!...

#13 ·
edponder824 said:
Ok let's put an end to all the discussion and solve it right now.

If I put a turbo or supercharger on my 08 v6 first of all what is the best brand for each and second which one will leave the v8 junkies scratching there heads trying to figure out wtf just happened?!?

GO!!
I have a sts rear mount turbo setup on my 08 mustang along with tons of other upgrades.... 373hp at the wheels... Leaves gt's with their jaws on the floor everytime lol

#25 ·
Thread necro from 2012. Sell your car and at least get a 11+ V6, or get a GT which is the better option. By the time you put forced induction on a 05-10 V6 and beef up the rest of the car enough to take it you will have spent more money than just buying something with a much better start.

Well all power adders make a big difference for your vehicle so its really more of a preference matter. Superchargers centrifugal and roots style are good turbos are good as well originally i wanted to get a roots intercooled style supercharger because its instant power and keeps building through high rpms . it was going to cost me about 7,000 to 8,000 thousand for that so i checked into a turbo kit and i found a custom turbo manifold for a 4.0 v6 mustang through mrt performance but its in a complete kit for 3,200 single turbo front mount percision turbo i think its 58mm or 60mm turbo on a 4.0 they said because of the engine is a cast iron block you can run 12 psi max and be safe i would run 10psi. They also have a twin turbo kit but thats a sts rear mount style no need for intercooler because the system is exposed but it costs 12,000 i am not going to spend all that for a twin turbo set up. I hope that helps it also depends if you want to drag race or daily driver. There is a lot of people with roots style superchargers and turbos on mustang collective. Explorerexpress.com for roots style supercharger. I hope this helps but the battle between superchargers vs turbo is a never ending battle honestly why cant we all get a long lol either way you go your modding your car so good for you your not stock.
There are plenty of options for most cars. I don't think STS is in business anymore and if they are... not worth it. As far as roots building power till the high RPM, nope. Instant power but heat machines and will get torched by a centri car or a turbo at the track every time. Great for the street tho.

Building a 4.0 is not exactly the best platform either... Its really good for just one thing... a good rolling S197 chassis to use as the base for a full out race build because there is no "budget" at that point.

I prefer turbo, even tho superchargers are stronger as soon as you turn on the car, but they also spend more gas than turbo (also i like the sound of turbocharged)

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

This makes absolutely no sense at all.

#23 ·
Well all power adders make a big difference for your vehicle so its really more of a preference matter. Superchargers centrifugal and roots style are good turbos are good as well originally i wanted to get a roots intercooled style supercharger because its instant power and keeps building through high rpms . it was going to cost me about 7,000 to 8,000 thousand for that so i checked into a turbo kit and i found a custom turbo manifold for a 4.0 v6 mustang through mrt performance but its in a complete kit for 3,200 single turbo front mount percision turbo i think its 58mm or 60mm turbo on a 4.0 they said because of the engine is a cast iron block you can run 12 psi max and be safe i would run 10psi. They also have a twin turbo kit but thats a sts rear mount style no need for intercooler because the system is exposed but it costs 12,000 i am not going to spend all that for a twin turbo set up. I hope that helps it also depends if you want to drag race or daily driver. There is a lot of people with roots style superchargers and turbos on mustang collective. Explorerexpress.com for roots style supercharger. I hope this helps but the battle between superchargers vs turbo is a never ending battle honestly why cant we all get a long lol either way you go your modding your car so good for you your not stock.

#27 · (Edited)
Well actually it makes perfect sense its about building a high performance car and modding it for budget cost you can pickup a 4.0 for a cheap price. You can mod anything with an engine there is a 06 4.0 v6 mustang running 10s truly impressive. After modding a vehicle for a cheaper price then buying a vehicle at a higher price with more power like a v8 its truly respected. For an example if a v6 modded out and beats a modded v8 in a race then what was the point of buying a v8. If a modded v8 beats a modded v6 big wow congrats a v8 beat a v6. Dont under estimate a smaller engine and sts rear mount is still available through a lot of companies that still have them in their inventory i am just not a fan of sts rear mount set up.

#28 ·
You're going to spend more money doing that than you would if you just bought a coyote and then the coyotes still going to win

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#29 ·
I have seen a hyundai veloster turbo modded and beating coyote engines and a v6 gtr doing the same thing there are 4.0 v6 modded out and beating coyote engines and giving them a good run. For the price point i am not rich but if i can buy a car and mod it for a cheaper price then why hate. Plus if my engine ever blew then i can engine swap. So the answer is yes. Dont hate because i might be building a sleeper and enjoy modding cars dont hate because i bought a v6 instead of a coyote 5.0 v8 or a gt500, gt350, saleen, boss 302, roush the list goes on.

#30 ·
Lmao, I'm not saying you can't take an Elantra and build it to beat anything, I am saying for the cost. And yes, you will spend DRASTICALLY more money building the 4.0, boosting it, transmission, rear, driveline, fuel etc... to run 10s when a bolt on tune Coyote is a low 11 car or 10s with a small shot of nitrous.

As for what you have seen... whatever. I live near 2 big tracks and nothing like that ever shows up and if it did it would get its butthole pushed in by the 9 second street cars. None of them are the stuff you are describing btw.

#32 ·
I c well there is a lot more tracks in the u.s then the one in your area so honestly you always have the possiblity of seeing some amazing vehicles doing the impossible. As far as drastically cost more money for modding your vehicle well thats any vehicle. Just plain and simple if you plan on modding your no matter what car it is expect it not be cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.