NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm desperate and in need of lots of help! I've got a stuck a bolt without a head! Anyone know to fix the problem??

This bolt attaches to the throttle body. See the image below:

Thank-you in advance!

Attachment 41881
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Re: NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions? I'm desperate. So far I've heated it up and turned with pliers.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Vice Gripes?... I've heard of ways to cut the remainder off then drill and tap!.. But I've never had to do that before so I don't know!..

Maybe use two Vice Gripes on it!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
File two sides down and use pliers or vice grips.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
I can't get the pic to load but you have some options.

If any of it is sticking out you can soak in penetrating lube like sea foam and try to use Vise-Gips to turn it out.

You can drill a small pilot hole and try an extractor/ez out bit(be careful as they break ez)

You can just drill straight through it.

You can weld something to it to turn it out.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

you could file what's left down to the shape of a hex bolt then use a wrench or impact wrench but you won't have a very big head to work with. Just make sure you use a lot of penetrating oil before you try to get it off. If you don't fix the seizing issue, you will continue to snap the bolt, you're lucky you still have enough bolt remain to weld to
jamin22786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

An old pipe fitter told me once if you can't tighten it you can't break it loose.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Thanks for the suggestions! I went back to home depot and bought 2 sets of vise grips a soldering iron, a heat gun, and bolt off. Finally got it! They used some blue stuff to secure it in place.

It took all day today, and half of yesterday. Everything is back in place now yay!
Old 02-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford
Thanks for the suggestions! I went back to home depot and bought 2 sets of vise grips a soldering iron, a heat gun, and bolt off. Finally got it! They used some blue stuff to secure it in place.

It took all day today, and half of yesterday. Everything is back in place now yay!
The blue stuff is blue loc tite, usually not that hard to get loose. When you replace the bolt I'd suggest using green loc tite, which isn't quite as strong, just make sure everything is clean. glad you got it off!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

The blue stuff is blue loc tite, usually not that hard to get loose. When you replace the bolt I'd suggest using green loc tite, which isn't quite as strong, just make sure everything is clean. glad you got it off!
A bolt on the TB shouldn't need any loc tite!..
Old 02-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Mmmm I respectfully disagree.. I put blue on almost everything, and never had any issues and blue's stronger then green. For me it comes down to better safe then sorry, over the years I've seen all types of bolts that shouldn't need loc tite end up needing it.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

congrats! i had an oil filter get stuck on one time, ripped it clear off and ended up having to take the housing off to remove, worst mustang day ever, never let somebody else touch the stang again!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin22786
congrats! i had an oil filter get stuck on one time, ripped it clear off and ended up having to take the housing off to remove, worst mustang day ever, never let somebody else touch the stang again!
Oil filters should only be hand tight lol
Old 02-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Oil filters should only be hand tight lol
Congrats! You're more qualified to change oil than a certain mechanic!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

Congrats! You're more qualified to change oil than a certain mechanic!
I don't work on cars to often but I make a decent living turning wrenches proving it doesn't take a genius lol
Old 02-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Thanks I completely feel your pain! I was like this should be easy maybe a 2 hour job, i only had two things to do. 1.Clean throttle body-check. That took 30mins total. 2 Replace throttle position sensor- install new ( at this point I was like another 2 hours tops the directions were straight forward). The bolts were so tight. And to top things off, I stripped the bolt for the battery terminal- i should've stopped and came back. I just want to forget today ever happened what a nightmare! I'm sure you felt that way after you finished.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Mmmm I respectfully disagree.. I put blue on almost everything, and never had any issues and blue's stronger then green. For me it comes down to better safe then sorry, over the years I've seen all types of bolts that shouldn't need loc tite end up needing it.
That's what Ford put on it, from what I read on the internet they've been making them that way since at least 94. Loc tite locks tight lol! The throttle body alone doesn't have anything on those bolts. But w/o loc tite, it wouldn't stay put those are open holes on the end.

Just to clarify I won't take this off again! It will be the next guys problem.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I replaced my TB about five years ago and didn't use any loc tite on it and had zero problems!.. There really is no good reason to use loc tite on those bolts!.. There is no amount of torque, tension, or vibration going through them to justify using loc tite!.. And clearly what happened to the OP is case and point!..

And ya I don't let just anyone touch my cars either!.. Just because some one works as a mechanic doesn't mean they know what they are doing!.. Back when me and my wife were still dating I thought I would do the nice thing, and change the oil in her car for her!.. The last time her oil was changed was about a year earlier, and was done by a small shop that her whole family uses!.. Took me about a day to get the drain plug off!.. Come to find out the idiot put it on with a F***ing impact wrench!..
Old 02-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner
I replaced my TB about five years ago and didn't use any loc tite on it and had zero problems!.. There really is no good reason to use loc tite on those bolts!.. There is no amount of torque, tension, or vibration going through them to justify using loc tite!.. And clearly what happened to the OP is case and point!..

And ya I don't let just anyone touch my cars either!.. Just because some one works as a mechanic doesn't mean they know what they are doing!.. Back when me and my wife were still dating I thought I would do the nice thing, and change the oil in her car for her!.. The last time her oil was changed was about a year earlier, and was done by a small shop that her whole family uses!.. Took me about a day to get the drain plug off!.. Come to find out the idiot put it on with a F***ing impact wrench!..
If you take a second to look, the man said it came that way from Ford. Any way my exp has always been better safe then sorry and if you don't want to do it right the first time you won't like doing it twice, and it's attached to the engine, it's hot and vibrating constantly. Right?
Old 02-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you take a second to look, the man said it came that way from Ford. Any way my exp has always been better safe then sorry and if you don't want to do it right the first time you won't like doing it twice, and it's attached to the engine, it's hot and vibrating constantly. Right?
Yes I saw that he said it came from the factory like that!.. Just because it came that way from the factory don't mean it's the best idea either!.. Plus if you take a look at what I was saying!.. There is no vibration going directly through your TB bolts!.. Loc tite isn't needed there!.. He'll I replaced the TB on my '96 Monte and there was no loc tite put on those bolts by the factory nore by me!.. And still had zero problems!.. Not to mention that when I replaced the TB on my Mustang it had no loc tite on it either!.. Clearly loc tite is not needed on TB bolts!..

Now if your talking about things like head bolts!.. Then he'll ya loc tite those B****s!!... Lol. They are much closer and directly related to the source of your vibration!.. If those loosen up then your looking at some major problems!..
Old 02-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

I think I'll leave the engineering to the engineers………
Old 02-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

so we all agree to meet in the middle, green loc-tite! now everybody hug!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think I'll leave the engineering to the engineers………
True!.. But like I said, just because that's they way they designed it doesn't mean it was the best way!..

The way the alternator was placed on my Monte was idiotic at best!.. You either had to pull the engine, or completely rip out the passenger side wheel assembly to get the alternator off!.. Engineers designed that!.. Lol. Not me!..
Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

My wife has a buick that requires removing the engine to replace spark plugs...
Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

True!.. But like I said, just because that's they way they designed it doesn't mean it was the best way!..

The way the alternator was placed on my Monte was idiotic at best!.. You either had to pull the engine, or completely rip out the passenger side wheel assembly to get the alternator off!.. Engineers designed that!.. Lol. Not me!..
wow……it's a Chevy………seriously……the loc tite and other thread lockers are there for a reason………to insure that they NEVER come loose w/o help……
Old 02-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Yet another GM product.....smh
Old 02-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My dad had a Buick that had a plastic timing gear!.. Lol. I only had to remove the the ignition coils and the entire intake, to include the the plenum, to replace the back three plugs!.. Lol. Thing was a complete B**** to work on but it was still a ton of fun to drive!.. I still kinda miss that car!..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang