Overdrive and Tuners - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #1

Region: North Carolina
Overdrive and Tuners

So I am about to buy a tuner! It'd help with gas prices, which is a big feature for me. A few questions though...

First: Is the overdirve for the mustang always on when you start the car? Because mine is, and I have to turn it off otherwise I wast more gas than I should.

Second: Is there a way I could keep the over drive off? And turn it on when I want?

Third: With the tuner, could I change the way the overdrive runs? For example... Have the overdrive be the power mode, and overdrive off would be gas saver for me. If that makes sense... Thanks guys!
horsin_around is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Overdrive and Tuners

Your overdrive should be on when you start the car, so there will be no light or indicator on the dash. The O/D button will turn it "off" which locks out that overdrive gear, which will decrease your mileage and cause your engine to run at higher rpms, especially at higher speeds.

I'm assuming the 05+ work the same as the 99-04's which is what I have.

When I added a new shifter knob and boot etc I had to relocate the O/D button. The first time I relocated the button I installed the wires backwards, so the O/D would be "off" when I started the car lol. I simply switched them and it worked just like it did before when it was on the shifter knob.

Not sure whether the tuner would be able to adjust the overdrive settings, but that's a good question..the tuning service would probably know.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Your overdrive should be on when you start the car, so there will be no light or indicator on the dash. The O/D button will turn it "off" which locks out that overdrive gear, which will decrease your mileage and cause your engine to run at higher rpms, especially at higher speeds.

I'm assuming the 05+ work the same as the 99-04's which is what I have.

When I added a new shifter knob and boot etc I had to relocate the O/D button. The first time I relocated the button I installed the wires backwards, so the O/D would be "off" when I started the car lol. I simply switched them and it worked just like it did before when it was on the shifter knob.

Not sure whether the tuner would be able to adjust the overdrive settings, but that's a good question..the tuning service would probably know.
So...is the overdrive actually better for my car? Since the rpm is lower?

Don't know anything about wiring..I should learn. Well, you knocked down 2 of my questions! Thanks a lot

gonna order my tuner tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California

Overdrive is pretty much the final gear in automatics... Your car will want to change to this gear as much as it can because it makes the engine run at lower rpm's which makes the engine run less and save gas... So you pretty much want to keep it on at all times. The only time people take it off is when in a truck pulling heavy loads because it will constantly go between o/d and the next highest gear which will (over time) damage your transmission.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
That sucks cause to me driving my car with the over drive off is alot more fun. My car respond faster and any time you press the gas it just picks up and goes effortlessly.
Mr. SoloDolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. SoloDolo View Post
That sucks cause to me driving my car with the over drive off is alot more fun. My car respond faster and any time you press the gas it just picks up and goes effortlessly.
That's what should happen when o/d is off... When you go full throttle the computer will automatically go from o/d into a lower gear to provide for better acceleration... o/d is basically for better engine/fuel efficiency.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
That's what should happen when o/d is off... When you go full throttle the computer will automatically go from o/d into a lower gear to provide for better acceleration... o/d is basically for better engine/fuel efficiency.
Wow, I have completely misunderstood the o/d....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang