Ignition Systems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Ignition Systems

How much horsepower gains can be attained from platinum spark plugs, the accel coil pack, and the spark plug wires on am?
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Re: Ignition Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
How much horsepower gains can be attained from platinum spark plugs, the accel coil pack, and the spark plug wires on am?
ive heard very mixed reviews on those. some people swear they get almost 20hp, others say they didnt notice any difference
angelofrat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
That's the reason I'm asking
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
That's the reason I'm asking
well ive heard more bad things about them than good
angelofrat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I think it depends on your mileage. Worn out electrical systems can really benefit from upgrading. I put a similar system on my car, couldn't really tell a difference, but I only had 7,000 miles at the time.
jamin22786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan

You won't get anything more to speak of for the cost. The stock coil pack is pretty good as it is, and the stock plugs are good too. Many of us running forced induction use the stock plugs - cheap, so can be replaced without spending a bundle. I just replaced mine last weekend like I do every spring and it only cost me $12. The old plugs could still be left in because the gaps were only opened up a little on 3 plugs but at the $2 a plug price just as easy to put new ones in rather than re-gap and clean the old ones.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
You won't get anything more to speak of for the cost. The stock coil pack is pretty good as it is, and the stock plugs are good too. Many of us running forced induction use the stock plugs - cheap, so can be replaced without spending a bundle. I just replaced mine last weekend like I do every spring and it only cost me $12. The old plugs could still be left in because the gaps were only opened up a little on 3 plugs but at the $2 a plug price just as easy to put new ones in rather than re-gap and clean the old ones.
Do you replace your COP's at a certain mileage, or wait until they die? My car has just over 36,000 miles, but was wondering about their age now.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan

The 4.0 doesn't use the COP design. We have a separate coil pack. And they will last a long time. with 150,000 miles on my car I swapped coil packs only because (1) I was having an issue and was trying to isolate what was causing it and (2) I had a spare coil pack in the garage that we scavenged off another car when he blew the engine.

It didn't change the issue I was having and the car now has 201,500 on it. So with only 36,000 your coil pack should be fine.

As far as plugs, I swap mine every spring but only because they are cheap ($2 each) and with forced induction I like to check them before each race season starts (and I am somewhere between 24,000 and 30,000 on them at that point). Since I have to pull them to check them might as well toss new ones in since it is only $12 total to swap. Generally the plugs are fine though and I keep them on hand for spares; gaps might open up some but they could still be used.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
The 4.0 doesn't use the COP design. We have a separate coil pack. And they will last a long time. with 150,000 miles on my car I swapped coil packs only because (1) I was having an issue and was trying to isolate what was causing it and (2) I had a spare coil pack in the garage that we scavenged off another car when he blew the engine.

It didn't change the issue I was having and the car now has 201,500 on it. So with only 36,000 your coil pack should be fine.

As far as plugs, I swap mine every spring but only because they are cheap ($2 each) and with forced induction I like to check them before each race season starts (and I am somewhere between 24,000 and 30,000 on them at that point). Since I have to pull them to check them might as well toss new ones in since it is only $12 total to swap. Generally the plugs are fine though and I keep them on hand for spares; gaps might open up some but they could still be used.
Thanks for the info

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang