Turbo Kit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Turbo Kit

I was on eBay and saw a new $900 turbo kit for my v6, buy it said I would have customize the turbo manifold and downpipe...any idea how much those would cost??
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Re: Turbo Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
I was on eBay and saw a new $900 turbo kit for my v6, buy it said I would have customize the turbo manifold and downpipe...any idea how much those would cost??
ive heard some pretty nasty horror stories about f/i products off of ebay. i would call a garage that would do the install and ask them what they would suggest before purchasing anything, that way youll have a definite price of everything before spending any money. there are some pretty reputable turbo kits with everything that you need already set up online that will give you some really good power. and turbo manifolds and downpipes are pretty expensive
angelofrat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelofrat42

ive heard some pretty nasty horror stories about f/i products off of ebay. i would call a garage that would do the install and ask them what they would suggest before purchasing anything, that way youll have a definite price of everything before spending any money. there are some pretty reputable turbo kits with everything that you need already set up online that will give you some really good power. and turbo manifolds and downpipes are pretty expensive
Alright thanks...only problems I've heard are the drivetrain, the transmission stays ok but the gears, shaft, and that 7.5 have had problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Stay away from eBay kits. Visit a local speed shop and discuss a build with a professional tech to get some real info on pricing and results.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan

You will have way more into trying to make that ebay kit work, and tune the car, than you will pay to just buy the proven kit from Powerhouse (PowerHouse411) They have already done all the design and testing for you and the kit is ready to install.

Plus on my friend's car it put him into the 11's at the track.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
You will have way more into trying to make that ebay kit work, and tune the car, than you will pay to just buy the proven kit from Powerhouse (PowerHouse411) They have already done all the design and testing for you and the kit is ready to install.

Plus on my friend's car it put him into the 11's at the track.
How much?? I'm looking at around $2000 to spend
Old 04-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
How much?? I'm looking at around $2000 to spend
Unless you are good at fabrication yourself, or find a used one (and there was one at mustangcollective.com just recently) you aren't going to find any forced induction for $2,000 - at least one that is proven, complete, and won't blow you up or require you to buy a lot more to make it work.

For a turbo for example it isn't just buy a turbo and slap it on. You need to put together the hot and cold side piping, you will need properly sized fuel injectors, a tune ......

That kit on ebay won't have the fuel injectors - and tuning will require you to go to a dyno and get the car tuned. You will need to buy the hand held (so figure another $350-400 for that) and tuning will run you easily another $600 for the time. Unless you can weld aluminum you will have to find someone to weld your pipe that they send you - which also will require someone who can figure out how to best route the pipe before they start to weld. Your fabrication time and cost could run you $2,000

Even if you were to buy the turbo kit off ebay figure a lot more expense just to get it on the car then, and then the tuning time and cost.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Unless you are good at fabrication yourself, or find a used one (and there was one at mustangcollective.com just recently) you aren't going to find any forced induction for $2,000 - at least one that is proven, complete, and won't blow you up or require you to buy a lot more to make it work.

For a turbo for example it isn't just buy a turbo and slap it on. You need to put together the hot and cold side piping, you will need properly sized fuel injectors, a tune ......

That kit on ebay won't have the fuel injectors - and tuning will require you to go to a dyno and get the car tuned. You will need to buy the hand held (so figure another $350-400 for that) and tuning will run you easily another $600 for the time. Unless you can weld aluminum you will have to find someone to weld your pipe that they send you - which also will require someone who can figure out how to best route the pipe before they start to weld. Your fabrication time and cost could run you $2,000

Even if you were to buy the turbo kit off ebay figure a lot more expense just to get it on the car then, and then the tuning time and cost.
I know that I'll need new driveshaft, tuner, full exhaust, and custom manifold and downpipe...and that it'll be installed. I'm asking how much the manifold and downpipe will cost?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

That question only your fabricator can answer - and you need to research this and determine every piece you will need. It is going to be a lot of custom fabrication. You will not be able to do this for $2,000 total. If that is your budget you need to hold off and accumulate some more funds.

Really it is going to be cheaper I think to just buy the Powerhouse kit. You don't have to do custom fabrication, figure out whether you have the right sized turbo, the right wastegate, did you put the MAF in the correct spot and do you need to change to a different MAF - it is pretty involved to build your own turbo from scratch.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That question only your fabricator can answer - and you need to research this and determine every piece you will need. It is going to be a lot of custom fabrication. You will not be able to do this for $2,000 total. If that is your budget you need to hold off and accumulate some more funds.

Really it is going to be cheaper I think to just buy the Powerhouse kit. You don't have to do custom fabrication, figure out whether you have the right sized turbo, the right wastegate, did you put the MAF in the correct spot and do you need to change to a different MAF - it is pretty involved to build your own turbo from scratch.
I'm not building the turbo...it comes with everything except the turbo manifold and downpipe, those are the pieces not including cause those aren't universial...id get a bama tune and get installed then.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

I think you are missing the point. You ARE building the turbo.

You are looking at a "universal kit". That means it isn't designed for your car, and you have to figure out how to make it work.

It won't include many of the necessary and miscellaneous pieces. Like the fuel injectors - you won't be able to use your stock fuel injectors so what size will you need and where will you source them from? How will you know that they are the correct size?

You will receive a box of pipes - you then have to figure out which pipe will be your hot side and which your cold side. Where will you cut and weld the pieces together? Where will your MAF be placed, will it be blow through or draw through? Will you need to upgrade to a bigger MAF or will you need to put a booster of some kind on it?

Are you going to use an air-to-air or air-to-water intercooler?

Where and how will you mount the turbo itself? Where are you going to tap for the oil line? Will you need an auxiliary pump to move the oil? Is that turbo sized properly for your car or will it take too long to spool up because it is too big, or will you not build enough power because it is too small and burn it out?

All you are buying is a turbo and pieces of piping with maybe some connectors.
Is this the universal kit you are looking at:
HUGE GT45 TURBO/TURBOCHARGER UNIVERSAL KIT BOOOST PSI | eBay

This one says "for the most part" all you need to buy "manifold, downpipe, and silicone reducers". They don't mention the injectors - the stock injectors don't flow enough to handle the boost. If you are happy with a box of parts and trying to figure out how to put it together with no instructions (who needs instructions, those are just another person's opinion right?) then have at it.

But I think you are going to find out that it takes a lot more to make this kit work than you think. I'll be watching your build thread with interest.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'd go with a twin Turbo. My neighbors know a guy that works for summit and he's hooking me up with a sweet deal. Its all about who you know.
H1tmanevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Sounds to me like JimC knows a little bout what he's sayin, believe I'd listen to him. But its only money, glad It's yours.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you get what you pay for.... going cheap just ends up costing you more for less than doing it right
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think you are missing the point. You ARE building the turbo.

You are looking at a "universal kit". That means it isn't designed for your car, and you have to figure out how to make it work.

It won't include many of the necessary and miscellaneous pieces. Like the fuel injectors - you won't be able to use your stock fuel injectors so what size will you need and where will you source them from? How will you know that they are the correct size?

You will receive a box of pipes - you then have to figure out which pipe will be your hot side and which your cold side. Where will you cut and weld the pieces together? Where will your MAF be placed, will it be blow through or draw through? Will you need to upgrade to a bigger MAF or will you need to put a booster of some kind on it?

Are you going to use an air-to-air or air-to-water intercooler?

Where and how will you mount the turbo itself? Where are you going to tap for the oil line? Will you need an auxiliary pump to move the oil? Is that turbo sized properly for your car or will it take too long to spool up because it is too big, or will you not build enough power because it is too small and burn it out?

All you are buying is a turbo and pieces of piping with maybe some connectors.
Is this the universal kit you are looking at:
HUGE GT45 TURBO/TURBOCHARGER UNIVERSAL KIT BOOOST PSI | eBay

This one says "for the most part" all you need to buy "manifold, downpipe, and silicone reducers". They don't mention the injectors - the stock injectors don't flow enough to handle the boost. If you are happy with a box of parts and trying to figure out how to put it together with no instructions (who needs instructions, those are just another person's opinion right?) then have at it.

But I think you are going to find out that it takes a lot more to make this kit work than you think. I'll be watching your build thread with interest.
Buddy it is not that complicated!! It's called "getting it installed" and I'd get 36 or higher lb injectors and yes I do know what else I need for the last time! Holy crap!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Please post up your build thread when you start, I'll be watching with interest.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
+1
jamin22786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
What ^ he said.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Just curious if you have started on your turbo build.

I've been reading the book "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell (recommended by the turbo guy I've been talking with) to study up on designing my system for the new car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang