Shaker hood kit and vortech supercharger? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Shaker hood kit and vortech supercharger?

What do you think? I want to save up for a hood shaker kit and then a vortech super charger, i think it'd look sweet. But would it actually work and be worth the money? Or should I just save up for the x-charger h/o supercharger and a new hood?
Atrav83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If you live in a smogable state I'd get a vortech. The xcharger with a manual transmission is not smog legal in California yet. "I went with vortech" the shaker hood will not work with either kit. If you look at the intake piping that you would need to hook up you will understand why. That is unless you want custom piping...again depending on if you have to smog your car.
Enorym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Re: Shaker hood kit and vortech supercharger?

It takes some fabrication but it can be used with the Vortech, I know several that have done so.

It can also be used with an Xcharger, just takes some more fabrication

Or as I just did with my Xcharger - fabricate a hood mounted system

Just takes a lot more work to use with an Xcharger
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
It takes some fabrication but it can be used with the Vortech, I know several that have done so.

It can also be used with an Xcharger, just takes some more fabrication

Or as I just did with my Xcharger - fabricate a hood mounted system

Just takes a lot more work to use with an Xcharger
That's pretty awsome. What super charger is better though? The extreme xcharger or the HO vortech?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Better is a very relative term - they both have good points and bad points. If you are looking for the most power and a dyno sheet to show off, then the Vortech will give you higher numbers than the Xcharger. If you want instant torque and immediate boost on the street than the Xcharger will be better suited.

So what are you looking for is the first question you have to answer. For me, the Xcharger Xtreme is the best balance for my application. I wanted the instant power on the highway when changing lanes, and the ease of installation of the Xcharger. At the track, the Vortech guys will typically run me down at the top end - although there are several of my friends with the Vortech that have not beaten me on the 1/4 mile. A friend who road courses his car he said that the Xcharger fit his application better because coming out of a turn he can get power right away - but on the straights the centri blowers like the Vortech will catch him.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well my car is a daily driver so it definitely has to do on the street, is the vortech safe for a stang that has around 80000?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Well considering that JimC put his charger on at 90k miles and is now over 200k miles, you are safe as long as you keep up on maintainance.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Forsure, thanks for the input guys.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

If you want a "street boss", ease of installation, great product support (Dave and Patty at explorerexpress.com are just a phone call away), and reliability then get the Xcharger. The only Xchargers I am aware of that had an engine failure was the result first of a guy who couldn't wait for his tune and drove the car on the stock tune - then bad mouthed the Xcharger for blowing up his car; no he was stupid and put a high performance mod on the car but didn't tune for it and made a bunch of wide open throttle runs.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I'll probably go with that, but was it really hard to so what you did with the shaker hood? Cuz that look is so much better then and hood scoop
Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrav83
Well my car is a daily driver so it definitely has to do on the street, is the vortech safe for a stang that has around 80000?
I put mine on at 70,000 have 130,000 now no problems.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrav83 View Post
Yea I'll probably go with that, but was it really hard to so what you did with the shaker hood? Cuz that look is so much better then and hood scoop
It took some time to fabricate, lot of measuring and cutting. But a lot of that was because it isn't a flat hood like the stock Mustang hood. So the trim ring had to be modified to fit. The shaker engine shroud is pretty much gone, I saved one small piece that the scoop sits on is all; that basically is there to hide the aluminum C channel that I used for the riser from the flat aluminum plate.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
If you want a "street boss", ease of installation, great product support (Dave and Patty at explorerexpress.com are just a phone call away), and reliability then get the Xcharger. The only Xchargers I am aware of that had an engine failure was the result first of a guy who couldn't wait for his tune and drove the car on the stock tune - then bad mouthed the Xcharger for blowing up his car; no he was stupid and put a high performance mod on the car but didn't tune for it and made a bunch of wide open throttle runs.
I would have gone with the xcharger but at the time the kit for the manual was not smog legal in California. I then went with the vortech. The xcharger will be a lot easier to install. There are little things that arnt mentioned in the instructions for the vortech that you will have to do for installation. Some brackets just were not made properly for my kit for the power steering reservoir. I had to cut my fan shroud because some ppiping was rubbing. And drilling into the timing cover is not for the faint hearted "for the earlier v2 kits"

So yeah if your looking for an easier install go with the xcharger for sure. The only thing Jimc failed to mention in the differences is the sound. The xcharger sounds like a screaming banshee its badass. The vortech sounds are more like a turbo you get a nice psssssht from the bov aka "recirculation" valve.

Parts pulleys and stuff for the xcharger are everywhere as well. With the vortech you have to order vortech parts. Infact I just had to order a new idler pully for mine cost only $50 but the bearing in the original unit didn't have part numbers on it so I just bought an entire new pully.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

That's true about the Xcharger Scream - all of my friends say that they don't even have to look up at the track, they know who is making a pass.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Xcharger it is haha hopefully I'll have enough by the end of the summer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang