would you turbo your 4.0? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
would you turbo your 4.0?

Im in the process of making a bolt on turbo kit for the 05-09 v6 mustangs. I started doing it because i wanted to boost my car but the superchagers are alot more than i was looking to spend rite now. That and my buddy is looking to turbo his. So ive been doing my research and figuring out where to mount and everything. But i wanted to know if anyone else was interested in a turbo that produces 10 psi and costs prob half or less of the vortech or procharger kits.
kirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #2

Region: Illinois
Re: would you turbo your 4.0?

I would be interested since everyone seems to do the x-charger I like to be different. I should have the Supersix stage3 heads and lowers by December this year, already have the 8.8 with a stock auto gearing so I will have to get the 3.73 in there.

Are you looking to mass produce this or just one off kind of thing? Under hood or rear turbos? Dual or single? Blow off or Recuirculating like the Cobalts? And what PSi are you trying to get this to handle? Sorry just like to know all the details.
Redfire05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

What my plan is is to run a single turbo and looking to produce 10psi of boost. Ive seen the other turbo design where they run piping off both headers back in front of the engine and do a single turbo. Its nice because there running both exhaust for a supply but i dislike the amount of heat just sitting there and that your sucking in for the turbo air supply. I did lik the fact that there set up let you use either stock or shorty headers. So my plan is to fab some pipes up so i can mount them off the passenger header and run my air forward into an intercooler then into the intake manifold. Im hoping to have it all welded or bent so im not using a bunch of mechanical couplings.

Im still waiting to hear more back about which turbos would work best. And ill prob contact a programing company to see if i can get plug and play for the person purchasing it. Its all just a thought rite now. Im just trying to see if anyone is going to want it.

As of rite now im hoping to keep the over all price to the low 2,000 mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

And the reason i want to mount the turbo under the car is like the theory of a cold air intake. The air is more compressed before it even hits the intercooler.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
For me, I'd be worried about putting it under the car... Unless it was way tucked up in there.

I was just picturing a very expensive speed-bump scrape.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeMods View Post
For me, I'd be worried about putting it under the car... Unless it was way tucked up in there.

I was just picturing a very expensive speed-bump scrape.
Good point but definally not that low. Ive already thought about that. I dont think iy should ever hit.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan

So your plan is to only use half the exhaust flow to spin the turbo? I'm not sure I understand your plan
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
So your plan is to only use half the exhaust flow to spin the turbo? I'm not sure I understand your plan
As of now yes. Im still waiting to hear back from a couple turbo techs to see if it would be enough exhaust flow. So far because of the size of the engine and how fast it revs i can probably get by with a 4 cylinder turbo. Because im only running 10lbsin of boost. But there doing more research and will get back to me.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

I'm just starting to learn turbos (my new car will probably get a turbo rather than supercharger so I'm studying them) but it seems to me that tuning could be an issue and you may have a tough time keeping boost with only half the exhaust. But like I said, I don't know much about them yet.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I hear what your saying . Im talking with the techs with Greddy and Garrett. And we are trying to figure out if it will work or not. Its just in the designing stages now. Once i get what u can figured out i can start trying to build it. Then ill test it and if all goes good and people want to buy it ill put it up for sale. Im just seeing if there is an interest out there for people to turbocharge or not.

My other thought is it should have enough to produce the psi but even if theres lag this is intended for the stock use. And it might be better if first doesnt have gear shredding torque.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Good luck, the lag will be a concern with only half the exhaust. But if you can properly size the turbo you may get rid of most of the lag.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I see your concern. But with the correct size turbo im pretty sure it wont have much of a lag. But i wont be able to tell you till i get everything organized and put together. I just wanted to see if people were interested in it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang