loss of hp? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
loss of hp?

I have a 2008 mustang I heard most cars lose a few HP eery year? I Don know what mines at but what should it be near?
Audicrashdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Re: loss of hp?

Get it dynoed, thats the only way to find out the exact numbers
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan

Can't tell you about the "loosing HP every year" question - in fact I can't tell you what my car dyno sheet looks like since I pulled some base line numbers a couple of years ago.

I can tell you that 4 years ago, and LOTS of miles ago, my car was running low 13's. This year and since 2010 I run in the 12's.

So whatever the HP is it is enough to move a heavy convertible, with 200,000+ miles on it to 12 second passes.

And without a list of your mods there is no way anyone could guess what your potential RWHP is.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Can't tell you about the "loosing HP every year" question - in fact I can't tell you what my car dyno sheet looks like since I pulled some base line numbers a couple of years ago.

I can tell you that 4 years ago, and LOTS of miles ago, my car was running low 13's. This year and since 2010 I run in the 12's.

So whatever the HP is it is enough to move a heavy convertible, with 200,000+ miles on it to 12 second passes.

And without a list of your mods there is no way anyone could guess what your potential RWHP is.
Those are pretty good #'s for a 4.0 vert. props man
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC

Yeah that's really good
Audicrashdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

With proper maintenance and proper driving you still probably have near 200 hp (if your stang is stock). If you don't maintain it and you drive with attitude then possibly less. A tune-up might help out a little. Clean the valves, put some platinum or iridium spark plugs in, things like that MIGHT get you back to your original HP.

Modern Technology in Modern Engines reduces some of this loss of HP. A 289 or 351 Windsor back in the day would have lost several HP each year, even with proper maintenance. Todays 5.0s and 4.0s... not as much.
sixty4half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Something you should really do is cleanse the system of your stang... Next time you do an oil change use seafoam in the oil reservoir, there are a couple ways to go about using it so you should search it up online for best feedback. You can also put it in your gas tank, when it goes though the cylinders it helps clean out all the gunk that collects in them. Some people say that after they use it they can see a noticeable difference in engine function... I'm not saying you will gain power off of it, it is jus meant as something to help with maintenance. (I would go more in depth on the sea foam but I'm doing this from my phone lol)

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I would run engine cleaner in my car every oil change. I had an 02 eclipse and 175k miles on the engine before the great hail storm we just had an my insurance totaled the car ( but that's another story) I still had as much power as I did when it was new. Keep up with your maint an change the spark plugs like mentioned above you should be ok.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang