Coolant Explosion - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
I fixed my brakes yesterday, but I went out to bed them in this afternoon, I'm almost finished, and I hear a horrible sound and look behind me, and fluid v is everywhere, I wasn't far from home in fact less than a mile, so I was able to "limp back" basically. I figured out it was coolant when I got back home, but how do I bleed the air? and why is it over by the brake fluid resivor? Is it easy to flush the system?
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford
I fixed my brakes yesterday, but I went out to bed them in this afternoon, I'm almost finished, and I hear a horrible sound and look behind me, and fluid v is everywhere, I wasn't far from home in fact less than a mile, so I was able to "limp back" basically. I figured out it was coolant when I got back home, but how do I bleed the air? and why is it over by the brake fluid resivor? Is it easy to flush the system?
I tried adding water to the expansion tank but it's like pouring water down a drain.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Anyone have an idea?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Re: Coolant Explosion

What is over by the brake fluid reservoir? There isn't anything to fill for the cooling system over there. You fill it through the reservoir cap.

If you are pouring it in and it is running out then obviously you have a split hose or thermostat housing is split or you lost a plug somewhere.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Staff
Blogger
Staff

I'm thinking thermostat housing now. I evaluated the situation today and it appears that it is indeed coming from the thermostat housing, as I squeeze on the upper radiator hose it squirts out from the housing. In addition to squeezing on it, I filled the reservoir back up, and as I fill it it runs out slowly like a that of a nice tranquil stream.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Yikes! Get to work!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
Yikes! Get to work!
I guess I have to order the freaking parts. Ugh!!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan

The thermostat housing is fairly easy to replace. I just had to do it on mine with 199,881 miles on it so mine lasted longer than most. The local O'Reilly's had one for me in one day.

Now on my car it was a little more difficult because of the Xcharger. I had to remove the blower and lower intake to get to the third bolt that holds the housing in place because it is trapped under the lower intake for the supercharger.

On a naturally aspirated car everything should be exposed to you and it will take a half hour to complete the job.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The thermostat housing is fairly easy to replace. I just had to do it on mine with 199,881 miles on it so mine lasted longer than most. The local O'Reilly's had one for me in one day.

Now on my car it was a little more difficult because of the Xcharger. I had to remove the blower and lower intake to get to the third bolt that holds the housing in place because it is trapped under the lower intake for the supercharger.

On a naturally aspirated car everything should be exposed to you and it will take a half hour to complete the job.
Thanks Jim.. And by the way, I took your advice on the brakes that really made them quiet. I also sanded down the rotors.

I ended up having it towed to my Mechanic. I was just exhusted on Monday, and I was like there is no way in hell I am going to finish this before I have to leave town. The repair manual made it seem like a daunting task. I guess, I acted in the "heat of the moment" rather than thinking.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Yep, you gotta "Focus" Grasshopper!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl
Yep, you gotta "Focus" Grasshopper!
True! Focus is sometimes in my vocab.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

« Gears | Tinting »