Headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Headers

So ive been looking around for some mods to do for my car that will give me an increase in power that i can feel. I dont expect massive gains in horsepower but id like to see some better throttle response and was wondering if anyone thought that headers would be a good way to go. I also am considering headers for a difference in sound as well. I already have a magnaflow muffler on my car right now and think the headers might help. Id also like to do some mods to my car on my own without a shop and was wondering if anyone had headers put on their car and what their thoughts were.
45thMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Shorty headers will give you very little power change. If you got longtubes then you will get great increases in power but they're very expensive because you have to get a shorty catted midpipe. The v6 sounds like crap with no cats
angelofrat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #3

Region: Massachusetts
Re: Headers

i had a complete stainless works v6 true dual exhaust and long tube headers on my car.. no cats. it sounds better then some Gt's ive heard. Their kits are expensive but well worth the $$. i can get you 10% off their systems or even just the headers if your interested. I put another stainless works exhaust on my car when i swapped it to a 5.0 coyote. so worth the $$, the thing sounds mean as hell
OutlawTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelofrat42
Shorty headers will give you very little power change. If you got longtubes then you will get great increases in power but they're very expensive because you have to get a shorty catted midpipe. The v6 sounds like crap with no cats
I am under the impression that long tubes are illegal, I live in ny and am looking to do the sane thing but I dont want to buy something illegal and not be able to put it on
Giffmastaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #5

Region: Massachusetts

long tube headers are not illegal. If its a street car and your county requires emissions all you need are cats.

record holder of fastest nmra factory stock coyote & aod. :)
OutlawTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawTT
long tube headers are not illegal. If its a street car and your county requires emissions all you need are cats.
I second that!
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawTT View Post
It depends on how strict the area is... Try getting any of that to fly in California
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawTT
If there are cats then won't it eliminate the throaty sound that it is suppose to give?
Old 06-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Road Trip!

No I had A v6 06 and well if it didn't have cats to tone it down it would have sounded really bad
Mady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mady
No I had A v6 06 and well if it didn't have cats to tone it down it would have sounded really bad
What would you recommend for an exhaust set up?
Old 06-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Well I had a shop custom fab a h pipe for me and all the piping back to slp loudmouths and lol a Camaro SS driver mistook it for a gt and the idle will be loud and deep lol louder then my gt and if I had to say the idle is also as deep
Old 06-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I want to get a system to mimic the classic cars that people usually see at car shows, anything that you know of?
Old 06-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giffmastaflex
I want to get a system to mimic the classic cars that people usually see at car shows, anything that you know of?
Lol a v6 will never be able to do that and if it's the loopy idle u want u need cams and no one makes them unless it's custom also u can't make something sound like something it's not and most classics are v8's
Old 06-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol a v6 will never be able to do that and if it's the loopy idle u want u need cams and no one makes them unless it's custom also u can't make something sound like something it's not and most classics are v8's
It's Unfortunate that your right, but I just want something that will get performance and a mean sound that will get peoples attention
Old 06-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Well I had a shop custom fab a h pipe for me and all the piping back to slp loudmouths and lol a Camaro SS driver mistook it for a gt and the idle will be loud and deep lol louder then my gt and if I had to say the idle is also as deep
^^
This is what you need then
Old 06-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Your smart as a whip!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well I feel that that route will be expensive and I like to do all my own work myself and I don't know if I can fabricate my own pipes lol
Old 06-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Well I feel that that route will be expensive and I like to do all my own work myself and I don't know if I can fabricate my own pipes lol
Just buy the slp cat back and have a muffler shop bend the pipes for you to get true duals with a h pipe and that's all you need single exhaust is nowhere as good as true duals and for a shop to bend it and weld it'll be 600 with the shop making the hangers for it that's what I had done and it was well worth it
Old 06-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe haha I don't trust mechanics and shops
Old 06-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Maybe haha I don't trust mechanics and shops
Go to minakie or any other muffler shop u trust
Old 06-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

We will see I still want to shop around but ill keep that in mind about the shops if you really trust them
Old 06-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
We will see I still want to shop around but ill keep that in mind about the shops if you really trust them
I did and I got perfect results and they give u a year warranty with the work too
Old 06-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If you are looking for performance gains bassiani is the only company that has shown decent gains in their systems, up to 15 hp, shorty's will give you no gain as they don't flow any better than stock headers, only do long tubes of you go FI or you will lose some bottom end and torque
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360
If you are looking for performance gains bassiani is the only company that has shown decent gains in their systems, up to 15 hp, shorty's will give you no gain as they don't flow any better than stock headers, only do long tubes of you go FI or you will lose some bottom end and torque
Bassani isn't the only muffler that adds gains misinformation and is biased based on sound :p
Old 06-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Bassani isn't the only muffler that adds gains misinformation and is biased based on sound :p
Kenne bell and vortech both did studies on different exhaust systems both studies showed bassiani to yield the highest amount of gains , we are talking about the exhaust system not just the muffler , and I'm not biased based on sound because I have a flow master system , I think it sounds better than bassani
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Lol he's asking on sound and as far as the testing it's under their conditions not every day people conditions so it's not reall applicable to average cars in average conditions
Old 06-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol he's asking on sound and as far as the testing it's under their conditions not every day people conditions so it's not reall applicable to average cars in average conditions
O but it is , if the system is giving 15hp under there conditions it's safe to say it would yield 5-8 hp in an average car the system is less restrictive so it flows better
Old 06-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:

O but it is , if the system is giving 15hp under there conditions it's safe to say it would yield 5-8 hp in an average car the system is less restrictive so it flows better
So other systems can do that that's not true at all lol maybe true for a v6 but not a v8
Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So other systems can do that that's not true at all lol maybe true for a v6 but not a v8
Sure it is , all the tubbing is mandrel bent so it's all less restrictive , the restrictions come from how the companies manufacture their product, baffles inside mufflers and cats not only give the company it's sound but what also caused these restrictions in flow
Old 06-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:

Sure it is , all the tubbing is mandrel bent so it's all less restrictive , the restrictions come from how the companies manufacture their product, baffles inside mufflers and cats not only give the company it's sound but what also caused these restrictions in flow
U won't see the same power gains mod for mod when comparing same mods on a v6 with a v8 the v8 will always make more power from the same mods
Old 06-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

U won't see the same power gains mod for mod when comparing same mods on a v6 with a v8 the v8 will always make more power from the same mods
I can't argue with you there! but IMO the exhaust system is a mod that will give you the same gain in either application
Old 06-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:

I can't argue with you there! but IMO the exhaust system is a mod that will give you the same gain in either application
No not at all XD haha sorry but any mod on a gt will give u more then a v6
Old 06-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No not at all XD haha sorry but any mod on a gt will give u more then a v6
That's not what I'm saying of course the v8 is going to put out better #'s but a mod like an exhaust system will free up the same amount of horse power in both applications
Old 06-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
It's not always a comparison lol

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #35
Road Trip!

Quote:

That's not what I'm saying of course the v8 is going to put out better #'s but a mod like an exhaust system will free up the same amount of horse power in both applications
No the gt will make more power from exhaust mods then the v6 lol idk what ur saying ur saying it'll make better numbers then say a v6 will match it mod for mod in the exhaust department which is untrue

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang