performance vs. looks - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
performance vs. looks

Just wondering what others would prefer doing to their mustangs first, increase performance or make the car look bada$$, in the end both performance and looks will be maximized for my car just don't know what to focus on first
Giffmastaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #2

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giffmastaflex
Just wondering what others would prefer doing to their mustangs first, increase performance or make the car look bada$$, in the end both performance and looks will be maximized for my car just don't know what to focus on first
To me, Mustangs are sexy-even stock. Power it up and get it runnin FASTER and do your make up later!
TreyBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: performance vs. looks

Im going cheapest to expensive. Make a list of the things you want to do and get the prices and go for it. Make your build list on americanmuscle.com everything on my list adds up to about 3k so I just started small.
Rogue Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Slider
Im going cheapest to expensive. Make a list of the things you want to do and get the prices and go for it. Make your build list on americanmuscle.com everything on my list adds up to about 3k so I just started small.
Lucky... Mine added up to 7k lol
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Mine adds up to 10k but it's not all from AM

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

That's only AM, my true build is 15k....
Old 06-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
I am up to 15k right now. I started with looks only because mustangs are so popular I wanted to give it a distinguished look to separate it from the heard and now I am over 600 horses so I have both now.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy
I am up to 15k right now. I started with looks only because mustangs are so popular I wanted to give it a distinguished look to separate it from the heard and now I am over 600 horses so I have both now.
I agree!
SET IT APART!
Make people know "WOW! This mustang, this is one of a kind, he/she must really love their car!"
Then surprise them with a few horses to the wheels, or should I say more than a few hundred.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
What mods do you have?
DAG 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAG 01

What mods do you have?
Yeah. What do you have?
scorpiouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What mods do you have?
I have rear window lovers, trufiber venom hood, Eleanor grille, CS lower grille, boss splitter, ford racing front brake cooling kit, all lights tinted, roush side splitters roush rear lower valence, square tips for roush mufflers lines everything up, 5.0 plaques painted gun metal matching the rims. Faux gas cap delete panel. If you check out my garage you should be able to see a lot of it.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have rear window lovers, trufiber venom hood, Eleanor grille, CS lower grille, boss splitter, ford racing front brake cooling kit, all lights tinted, roush side splitters roush rear lower valence, square tips for roush mufflers lines everything up, 5.0 plaques painted gun metal matching the rims. Faux gas cap delete panel. If you check out my garage you should be able to see a lot of it.
All of those in a 2000 v6?
scorpiouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

No 2011 gt. I know American muscle has a lot of items to dress up the car, also stage3motorsports late model restoration just look around I have only mentioned a couple of companies

Old 06-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
No 2011 gt. I know American muscle has a lot of items to dress up the car, also stage3motorsports late model restoration just look around I have only mentioned a couple of companies
Nice...I was actually asking what performance mods you have to put your car over 600 HP.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nice...I was actually asking what performance mods you have to put your car over 600 HP.
I have a 2.3L whipple pushing 9 psi JLT 123mm intake and an aluminum drive shaft 20 pounds less rotational weight vs stock. LT headers and a catted x

Old 06-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
I have a 2.3L whipple pushing 9 psi JLT 123mm intake and an aluminum drive shaft 20 pounds less rotational weight vs stock. LT headers and a catted x
That's sick man.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks here's a shortcut to the video

Old 06-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #18

Region: Massachusetts

when my car was a v6 i put the xcharger on it, true dual exhaust, a circle d converter (3400 stall, have it for sale if anyone is interested 8.8 rear end with 4.10 gears and a roush cai. it ran mid 12's. I only did performance mods, never looks.. i ended up gutting the entire car and making it a track car.

record holder of fastest nmra factory stock coyote & aod. :)
OutlawTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am up to 15k right now. I started with looks only because mustangs are so popular I wanted to give it a distinguished look to separate it from the heard.
THIS. I went with looks first. Some minor things. Grill, rims, plastidipped blackout panel and grill pony. Mine needs to look different than the rendom 18 year olds mustang. I'm also reminded of what Matt Leblanc said on Top Gear (BBCA version). He said (paraphrased) I really love cars so why shouldn't mine go faster than joe-six-pack's? Anyone can go to the dealer and get a fast car. If I get the same car mine SHOULD go faster.
sixty4half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4half

THIS. I went with looks first. Some minor things. Grill, rims, plastidipped blackout panel and grill pony. Mine needs to look different than the rendom 18 year olds mustang. I'm also reminded of what Matt Leblanc said on Top Gear (BBCA version). He said (paraphrased) I really love cars so why shouldn't mine go faster than joe-six-pack's? Anyone can go to the dealer and get a fast car. If I get the same car mine SHOULD go faster.
Agreed, it is definitely an opinion based situation. Something that works both performance and not looks so much I guess unless u r really exposed is exhaust. My set up gets people's attention before they even see my car and it also adds performance

Old 06-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I say do looks up to the point where you get lots of head turns and pics being taken. Once you get to that point beef up the car's performance to match its looks.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

But exhaust IMO should always be the first thing.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

The one problem I have is the after market warranty. 98% of the stuff I want to do puts me out of warranty which means I wasted 2500.
sixty4half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawTT
when my car was a v6 i put the xcharger on it, true dual exhaust, a circle d converter (3400 stall, have it for sale if anyone is interested 8.8 rear end with 4.10 gears and a roush cai. it ran mid 12's. I only did performance mods, never looks.. i ended up gutting the entire car and making it a track car.
I'm considering saving up for an xcharger. Do you recommend it? Are there any other mods needed to run that supercharger such as upgraded clutch or rear end or anything else?
Old 06-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAG 01 View Post
I'm considering saving up for an xcharger. Do you recommend it? Are there any other mods needed to run that supercharger such as upgraded clutch or rear end or anything else?
To drive on the street, its awesome to have. I raced my v6 in a bracket class in the nmra before i did a complete swap to what the car is now. I will say I personally had BAD luck with it. blew up 2 engines... i had a basic tune for it - so it wasn't whipped up. all that 4.0L wanted to do was cork the boost. that's my personal experience with it, iv read a lot of posts on other forums about the xcharger and people have better luck. I def recommend putting an 8.8 read end in the car...no matter what direction you go in. You can find them pretty cheap online or swap meets. Def put a true dual exhaust on, it will help the engine breathe better. I had a Stainless Works LT headers and exhaust system on the car when it was a v6. Car sounded like a GT, and when i got into boost it screamed. it was pretty cool, people thought it was a GT till they looked under the hood and saw each header only had 3 tubes on each side lol. I had an automatic when i had mine as the supercharged v6 but im sure an upgraded clutch wouldn't hurt but probably not necessary if its only a daily driver, but don't quote me on that...someone with a stick would probably know better.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

To drive on the street, its awesome to have. I raced my v6 in a bracket class in the nmra before i did a complete swap to what the car is now. I will say I personally had BAD luck with it. blew up 2 engines... i had a basic tune for it - so it wasn't whipped up. all that 4.0L wanted to do was cork the boost. that's my personal experience with it, iv read a lot of posts on other forums about the xcharger and people have better luck. I def recommend putting an 8.8 read end in the car...no matter what direction you go in. You can find them pretty cheap online or swap meets. Def put a true dual exhaust on, it will help the engine breathe better. I had a Stainless Works LT headers and exhaust system on the car when it was a v6. Car sounded like a GT, and when i got into boost it screamed. it was pretty cool, people thought it was a GT till they looked under the hood and saw each header only had 3 tubes on each side lol. I had an automatic when i had mine as the supercharged v6 but im sure an upgraded clutch wouldn't hurt but probably not necessary if its only a daily driver, but don't quote me on that...someone with a stick would probably know better.
What horsepower numbers were you putting out with the xcharger and exhaust?
Old 06-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #26

over 331rwhp with it. not bad for the v6. ran 12's. but with that came a headache of problems (2 blown engines) for me. but others have better luck

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

the dyno pull before the xcharger we made like 197rwhp or something sad like that, after the install of the xcharger and a basic tune it was 331rwhp.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
over 331rwhp with it. not bad for the v6. ran 12's. but with that came a headache of problems (2 blown engines) for me. but others have better luck
I hear you. You said that the blown engines were most likely due to frequently racing it right? Daily driving with the xcharger would be reliable wouldn't it?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:
I hope you have forged internals then mister :p

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Quote:

I hate to break it to you but I have owned a v6 06 and then got a 03 GT you really can't make it sound like a GT it has different firing sequence as well as having more displacement though from what I had you can still get it to sound pretty mean
Mady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mady

I hope you have forged internals then mister :p

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

I hate to break it to you but I have owned a v6 06 and then got a 03 GT you really can't make it sound like a GT it has different firing sequence as well as having more displacement though from what I had you can still get it to sound pretty mean
Nope stock internals less then 10 psi of boost. My internals should be fine for awhile and I don't jump on it too much

Old 06-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:

Nope stock internals less then 10 psi of boost. My internals should be fine for awhile and I don't jump on it too much
Psi is part of it but the block and internals are rated under 600 do ur just lucky mister
Old 06-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Psi is part of it but the block and internals are rated under 600 do ur just lucky mister
There are a few people running around mid 600s right now and have over 20k miles with the sc installed similar set ups. While I do agree that I am pushing my luck a little with the block iI do have my eye on some other people running similar set ups to know what to watch for when it does et to that point and I already have an aftermarket block picked out as a replacement.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:

There are a few people running around mid 600s right now and have over 20k miles with the sc installed similar set ups. While I do agree that I am pushing my luck a little with the block iI do have my eye on some other people running similar set ups to know what to watch for when it does et to that point and I already have an aftermarket block picked out as a replacement.
Wait r we still talking about a 05-10 v6 cuase a blower will not get it too 600hp lol XD
Old 06-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Lol no ms mady I am talking about my 5.0 sorry I am talking my set up in the wrong thread. Watch this and u will understand my set up

Old 06-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
Lol no ms mady I am talking about my 5.0 sorry I am talking my set up in the wrong thread. Watch this and u will understand my set up

Uuuugggghhhh!!!!!!!!!! Mady 2 you 1 :p I win lol a v6 is lucky to get 400 lol
Old 06-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Uuuugggghhhh!!!!!!!!!! Mady 2 you 1 :p I win lol a v6 is lucky to get 400 lol
Agreed ms mady I was getting confused. My block can handle a little more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang