Cleaning the engine! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Cleaning the engine!

What's up guys, I'm Zack and I'm new to this forum, I bought my first mustang two months ago, it's an 05 v6 redfire, i bought it from a guy that he kept it out for long time without using it, and under the hood there is a lot of dust, I was wondering if there is a way to clean the engine and make shine, or take it to a place that they can clean it for me, coz I tried to do that but it wasn't really easy, any suggestions please?
The car is a basic model so I'm planning to add some exterior kits, I'll post some pictures later to get some of your suggestions about the exterior.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Try that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-724320796.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	52935  
Old 06-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Re: Cleaning the engine!

If its just dust use hot water and soap.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yes it's just dust, other than that the engine is very clean and no oil spots!

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Slider
Try that
Thanks man, I will try it!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan

Put a plastic bag over the fuse box (passenger side) and over the air intake (especially if you have a open CAI). I spray down the engine bay regularly on my car -- 203,000 miles on it and no problems.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Also, don't hit the alternator too hard. About 200 bucks to replace, mine fried after running into a large puddle, I don't take any chances washing the engine either.
gc19662007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc19662007 View Post
Also, don't hit the alternator too hard. About 200 bucks to replace, mine fried after running into a large puddle, I don't take any chances washing the engine either.
On that note, put a plastic bag around the alternator also lol
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Actually after reading this, I don't really want to take the risk and maybe damage something under the hood, as long as its only dust I'm thinking to just go through each part of the engine and wipe it out with a wet cloth, and still I'm gonna cover the parts that you told me about.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Put a plastic bag over the fuse box (passenger side) and over the air intake (especially if you have a open CAI). I spray down the engine bay regularly on my car -- 203,000 miles on it and no problems.
What about the sparking plugs, do you think it will be affected?

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc19662007
Absolutely I don't have that budget now to put it on the alternator lol, better put it on something to enhance the exterior looking.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakhwk View Post
Actually after reading this, I don't really want to take the risk and maybe damage something under the hood, as long as its only dust I'm thinking to just go through each part of the engine and wipe it out with a wet cloth, and still I'm gonna cover the parts that you told me about.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

What about the sparking plugs, do you think it will be affected?

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Absolutely I don't have that budget now to put it on the alternator lol, better put it on something to enhance the exterior looking.
I have 203,000 miles on my car and washing it down has never affected the spark plugs. Check your owners manual, it even says you can do it just cover the fuse box, the intake, and the battery.

I never covered the alternator and it lasted for 178,000 miles. But if you think it can be a problem then bag it up and don't worry about it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC

I have 203,000 miles on my car and washing it down has never affected the spark plugs. Check your owners manual, it even says you can do it just cover the fuse box, the intake, and the battery.

I never covered the alternator and it lasted for 178,000 miles. But if you think it can be a problem then bag it up and don't worry about it.
Awesome, I think I can wash it now with confidence, I will definitely check the manual also.
Thanks for the advice

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang