Cleaning the engine! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blakhwk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 321
Cleaning the engine!

What's up guys, I'm Zack and I'm new to this forum, I bought my first mustang two months ago, it's an 05 v6 redfire, i bought it from a guy that he kept it out for long time without using it, and under the hood there is a lot of dust, I was wondering if there is a way to clean the engine and make shine, or take it to a place that they can clean it for me, coz I tried to do that but it wasn't really easy, any suggestions please?
The car is a basic model so I'm planning to add some exterior kits, I'll post some pictures later to get some of your suggestions about the exterior.
Thanks a lot in advance.
__________________
Visca Barça
Blakhwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rogue Slider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW
Region: Texas
Posts: 586
Try that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-724320796.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	52935  
__________________
Rogue Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
jdavis96gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,014
Re: Cleaning the engine!

If its just dust use hot water and soap.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blakhwk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 321
Yes it's just dust, other than that the engine is very clean and no oil spots!

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Slider
Try that
Thanks man, I will try it!
__________________
Visca Barça
Blakhwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular
 
JimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 1,224
Re: Cleaning the engine!

Put a plastic bag over the fuse box (passenger side) and over the air intake (especially if you have a open CAI). I spray down the engine bay regularly on my car -- 203,000 miles on it and no problems.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
gc19662007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 216
Also, don't hit the alternator too hard. About 200 bucks to replace, mine fried after running into a large puddle, I don't take any chances washing the engine either.
gc19662007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Re: Cleaning the engine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc19662007 View Post
Also, don't hit the alternator too hard. About 200 bucks to replace, mine fried after running into a large puddle, I don't take any chances washing the engine either.
On that note, put a plastic bag around the alternator also lol
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blakhwk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 321
Actually after reading this, I don't really want to take the risk and maybe damage something under the hood, as long as its only dust I'm thinking to just go through each part of the engine and wipe it out with a wet cloth, and still I'm gonna cover the parts that you told me about.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Put a plastic bag over the fuse box (passenger side) and over the air intake (especially if you have a open CAI). I spray down the engine bay regularly on my car -- 203,000 miles on it and no problems.
What about the sparking plugs, do you think it will be affected?

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc19662007
Also, don't hit the alternator too hard. About 200 bucks to replace, mine fried after running into a large puddle, I don't take any chances washing the engine either.
Absolutely I don't have that budget now to put it on the alternator lol, better put it on something to enhance the exterior looking.
__________________
Visca Barça
Blakhwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular
 
JimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 1,224
Re: Cleaning the engine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakhwk View Post
Actually after reading this, I don't really want to take the risk and maybe damage something under the hood, as long as its only dust I'm thinking to just go through each part of the engine and wipe it out with a wet cloth, and still I'm gonna cover the parts that you told me about.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------



What about the sparking plugs, do you think it will be affected?

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------



Absolutely I don't have that budget now to put it on the alternator lol, better put it on something to enhance the exterior looking.
I have 203,000 miles on my car and washing it down has never affected the spark plugs. Check your owners manual, it even says you can do it just cover the fuse box, the intake, and the battery.

I never covered the alternator and it lasted for 178,000 miles. But if you think it can be a problem then bag it up and don't worry about it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blakhwk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC

I have 203,000 miles on my car and washing it down has never affected the spark plugs. Check your owners manual, it even says you can do it just cover the fuse box, the intake, and the battery.

I never covered the alternator and it lasted for 178,000 miles. But if you think it can be a problem then bag it up and don't worry about it.
Awesome, I think I can wash it now with confidence, I will definitely check the manual also.
Thanks for the advice
__________________
Visca Barça
Blakhwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



10:35 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.