Radio - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #1

Region: Arkansas
Radio

Okay,
I went and hooked up a new Panasonic apradio 2 (sweet radio!)
As I was running everything, I wired the constant and the 12 volt together. (idiotic)
So, the reason I did it is because it wouldn't come on with the constants wired together, and the 12 volts together... So I had them all wired together and I was putting the radio away, and bumped the wires on the metal part of the body... EVERYTHING SHORTED OUT!

We tested the radio, and it's still fine. How can I run the radio correctly and not blow anything out?
TreyBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Haven't installed a stereo since the old square Punch 45 amps were popular, but.....
1. What were you tying into for constant power?
2. What were you tying into for the 12v power?
3. We're connections made properly (butt connectors, insulated terminals connections) or just twisted together with some tape?

---------- Post added at 08:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Ok thought a out the post for a minute.
The constant needs to be wired into a circuit that always has power (horn, lights,etc).
The 12v power needs to be wired into a circuit that only has power when the key is on (radio, wipers,etc).
You need to have a good ground.
The best way to wire in a new radio is to figure out the wiring from the old radio, might have to hunt in the Internet to find it but it will give you every wire you need to install another radio using the factory wiring.
gc19662007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #3

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc19662007
Haven't installed a stereo since the old square Punch 45 amps were popular, but.....
1. What were you tying into for constant power?
2. What were you tying into for the 12v power?
3. We're connections made properly (butt connectors, insulated terminals connections) or just twisted together with some tape?

---------- Post added at 08:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Ok thought a out the post for a minute.
The constant needs to be wired into a circuit that always has power (horn, lights,etc).
The 12v power needs to be wired into a circuit that only has power when the key is on (radio, wipers,etc).
You need to have a good ground.
The best way to wire in a new radio is to figure out the wiring from the old radio, might have to hunt in the Internet to find it but it will give you every wire you need to install another radio using the factory wiring.
So let's say the horn (constant) and the ignition?
TreyBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Best I can do from phone. Please verify factory wires match up with what you have before proceeding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3147378859.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	52971  
Old 06-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyBo

So let's say the horn (constant) and the ignition?
Horn will work for constant. Ignition would be best if you can find the factory wire but, indicators can work but the fuse may need to be sized up. I have done this before in the past and have had no issues but not sure how correct it is. Whatever you tie to, if the fuse isn't rated properly, you will lose it if the fuse pops.
But I stress, find and use the correct factory wiring.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
What year is your stang? It may not have a switched 12V some only have a data line to turn on the radio and would require a relay to operate on switch power.

Never mind found a post ware you say that it's a 08

If the wire is their it will be a gray/yel for 12v switch power. If its not then its using a data line and you will need a relay to operate it off of switch power.

Or you can go to scosche or metra and buy the correct harness for around 120-140 and it will give you the correct 12V switch power using a module attached to the harness
Tec_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang