nitrous on a v6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
nitrous on a v6

Are there any negatives or other needed mods when running spray?
245ciPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Three words...DON'T DO IT!!
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I take it, its not the best power adder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 245ciPony
I take it, its not the best power adder
Correction, it's not the safest. Our 4.0s are not nitrous friendly
Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have any suggestions on other power add ons, excluding a Turbo or supercharger?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions on other power add ons, excluding a Turbo or supercharger?
X-pipe dual exhaust, shorty headers, coil pack, cold air intake with tuner, throttle body spacer, larger throttle body...all together will be pushing upper 200s in horsepower
Old 06-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang
+100! Don't be a bottle baby!
Old 06-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Can a throttle body spacer be used with an upgraded throttle body?
Old 06-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, just needs longer screws which you can buy at home depot or lowes or somewhere
Old 06-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Re: nitrous on a v6

Nothing wrong with spraying the 4.0 - lots of us have done it. The only time it is a problem is if you
1. spray too low in the rpm (no spray below 2,300 rpm)
2. use nitrous with a supercharger or turbo charger (the 4.0 does not play nice with dual power adders)
3. spray without getting a tune for it

I ran 2 seasons with a 75 shot on the car. At 90,000 miles I pulled the Zex kit off the car and put the Xcharger on it. The car has 203,000 miles on it, still runs 12's.

Despite the 'Fast and Furious' movies showing cars blowing up with nitrous they weren't anywhere near reality. Nitrous itself is inert and won't blow up - even if the car is on fire (so the screams of "nawwssss" with the burning car in the movie and the big explosion was not real, same as anyone other than the ricers of F&F calling nitrous "naws" isn't accurate). Properly installed and tuned the car will be fine.

And as far as the throttle body spacer - sure it will make you faster because your wallet will be lighter. Other than that it won't do anything for you. This isn't like the carburetor cars where changing the intake runner length with a spacer will affect the power curve. Moving the throttle body out further doesn't do anything. Don't waste your money on that paperweight.

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
Quote:
Correction, it's not the safest. Our 4.0s are not nitrous friendly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justasix98 View Post
+100! Don't be a bottle baby!
Have you used nitrous? There are lots of 4.0's running nitrous with no problems. The only problems were those who tried dual power adders, tried to run a 150 shot, and one of my friends who didn't use a window switch and sprayed out of the hole on a 100 shot and ended up spraying at 1,000 rpm. Get a window switch and don't rely on the kit learning wide open throttle - it will read you at WOT even very low. Before I put the window switch on I was staging and bringing the idle up to 1500 - the Zex kit read that as WOT and fired off. Got the window switch the next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 245ciPony View Post
Quote:
Yeah, just needs longer screws which you can buy at home depot or lowes or somewhere
Big waste of cash, don't do it. And don't believe the hype of those trying to sell it to you.

One other thing on nitrous. It is not a street power adder, it is a track use only one. A 10 lb bottle of nitrous will only last you about 8 passes at the track before it is too low to get adequate pressure. It isn't something you leave turned on all the time and use for daily driving (filling the bottle at $4+ a lb and using it up on the street every day will get very expensive) and leaving it armed will wear out the solenoid from the constant pressure against them
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:56 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Nitrous can **** your engine up badly.

PROJECT "6APPEAL"

Founder of Topeka Mustang Club
MTilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTilly View Post
Nitrous can **** your engine up badly.
Have you used nitrous? The engine doesn't know if the boost is from a turbo, supercharger, or nitrous.

If you properly tune the car for nitrous, don't spray too low in the rpm (never below 2,300), and don't get greedy on the size of the shot (100 is probably the max) it is safe to use. I ran it for two race seasons on a 75 shot with a lot of passes on the juice. I was hitting the track every other weekend from April through November with it.

Then pulled it for the Xcharger at 90,000 miles and put another 113,000 miles on that engine and it was still making 12 second passes with no issues. Sold it recently when I ordered my 2013 and the new owner is having no problems at all with the car.

Nitrous can be harder on the drivetrain than turbos or superchargers, but that is because the torque hit comes all at once and isn't linear like a turbo or supercharger.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC

Have you used nitrous? The engine doesn't know if the boost is from a turbo, supercharger, or nitrous.

If you properly tune the car for nitrous, don't spray too low in the rpm (never below 2,300), and don't get greedy on the size of the shot (100 is probably the max) it is safe to use. I ran it for two race seasons on a 75 shot with a lot of passes on the juice. I was hitting the track every other weekend from April through November with it.

Then pulled it for the Xcharger at 90,000 miles and put another 113,000 miles on that engine and it was still making 12 second passes with no issues. Sold it recently when I ordered my 2013 and the new owner is having no problems at all with the car.

Nitrous can be harder on the drivetrain than turbos or superchargers, but that is because the torque hit comes all at once and isn't linear like a turbo or supercharger.
Haven't used it, but I have seen a extremely good driver that knew what e was doing destroy his engine with nitrous.

PROJECT "6APPEAL"

Old 06-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Nothing wrong with spraying the 4.0 - lots of us have done it. The only time it is a problem is if you
1. spray too low in the rpm (no spray below 2,300 rpm)
2. use nitrous with a supercharger or turbo charger (the 4.0 does not play nice with dual power adders)
3. spray without getting a tune for it

I ran 2 seasons with a 75 shot on the car. At 90,000 miles I pulled the Zex kit off the car and put the Xcharger on it. The car has 203,000 miles on it, still runs 12's.

Despite the 'Fast and Furious' movies showing cars blowing up with nitrous they weren't anywhere near reality. Nitrous itself is inert and won't blow up - even if the car is on fire (so the screams of "nawwssss" with the burning car in the movie and the big explosion was not real, same as anyone other than the ricers of F&F calling nitrous "naws" isn't accurate). Properly installed and tuned the car will be fine.

And as far as the throttle body spacer - sure it will make you faster because your wallet will be lighter. Other than that it won't do anything for you. This isn't like the carburetor cars where changing the intake runner length with a spacer will affect the power curve. Moving the throttle body out further doesn't do anything. Don't waste your money on that paperweight.

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Have you used nitrous? There are lots of 4.0's running nitrous with no problems. The only problems were those who tried dual power adders, tried to run a 150 shot, and one of my friends who didn't use a window switch and sprayed out of the hole on a 100 shot and ended up spraying at 1,000 rpm. Get a window switch and don't rely on the kit learning wide open throttle - it will read you at WOT even very low. Before I put the window switch on I was staging and bringing the idle up to 1500 - the Zex kit read that as WOT and fired off. Got the window switch the next week.

Big waste of cash, don't do it. And don't believe the hype of those trying to sell it to you.

One other thing on nitrous. It is not a street power adder, it is a track use only one. A 10 lb bottle of nitrous will only last you about 8 passes at the track before it is too low to get adequate pressure. It isn't something you leave turned on all the time and use for daily driving (filling the bottle at $4+ a lb and using it up on the street every day will get very expensive) and leaving it armed will wear out the solenoid from the constant pressure against them
+1

Get a window switch for the nitrous and you'll be fine. People who have issue with nitrous have it because they ran too much at too low RPM.

I have a throttle body spacer, worst waste of money I've spent on my car. There are a lot of add-ons that only add hp in the mind the ones who spend the money on them.
jamin22786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTilly View Post
Haven't used it, but I have seen a extremely good driver that knew what e was doing destroy his engine with nitrous.
What did he do to destroy the engine?

The only ones that I know of were the result of spraying too early and not using a window switch.

Even the Zex kit which is supposed to learn when you are at wide open throttle will spray low. Happened to me lining up. Was bringing the RPM up to bump forward and stage and the Zex kit decided that 1800 rpm was wide open throttle and fired it off. Was lucky because I immediately lifted before any damage. The learning capability is not a substitute for a window switch.

My friends weren't so lucky, they started spraying on 100 and 150 shots at 1,500 rpm and windowed the block. That wasn't nitrous itself, that was driver error allowing it to spray too soon.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTilly

He must not of been to good of a driver. It is perfectly safe for the 4.0 with the right set up. Cooler plugs. Injectors etc. and if u wAtch them build the 05 project car. They install 100 shot. If u know how to use it. It's fine
dolfin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It might be late but AM did a 08 project car and added nitrous.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Slider
It might be late but AM did a 08 project car and added nitrous.
They did it to a 13 ( might have been a 12 not too sure) v6 and turboed it and had nitrous. Then again they are professionals.

PROJECT "6APPEAL"

Old 07-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

They did it to a 13 ( might have been a 12 not too sure) v6 and turboed it and had nitrous. Then again they are professionals.
Here is the link to the 05V6 with nitrous
http://www.americanmuscle.com/2005-v6-project-car.html
Old 07-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

i can always tell when someone hasn't used something they say don't use...
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
Agree
dolfin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
If your implying this to me, as least man up and call me out. You should also correct yourself because I clearly said I hadn't used it. So where does this "i think i can tell" crap. It's my opinion (from what I've seen) I don't think it's good on a v6. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I could 100% agree that it could be bad because of the user and not on the actual nitrous. I'm not trying to start anything cause this is a forum topic, not a keyboard warrior zone

PROJECT "6APPEAL"

Old 07-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:

If your implying this to me, as least man up and call me out. You should also correct yourself because I clearly said I hadn't used it. So where does this "i think i can tell" crap. It's my opinion (from what I've seen) I don't think it's good on a v6. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I could 100% agree that it could be bad because of the user and not on the actual nitrous. I'm not trying to start anything cause this is a forum topic, not a keyboard warrior zone
lmao snap oh no he didnt!!
Mr. SoloDolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. SoloDolo

lmao snap oh no he didnt!!
Gurlllllll I went there lolol

PROJECT "6APPEAL"

Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:

Gurlllllll I went there lolol
LMFAO hahaha i heard him say yo momma you need to grab your mase lol! funny thing Is i was just with my girlfriend and she had a conversation on the phone with her "bff" that sounded just like this!!!
Mr. SoloDolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. SoloDolo

LMFAO hahaha i heard him say yo momma you need to grab your mase lol! funny thing Is i was just with my girlfriend and she had a conversation on the phone with her "bff" that sounded just like this!!!
Lmao good ****

PROJECT "6APPEAL"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Tags
nitrous