CAI Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
CAI Question

How are y'all getting around using a tuned CAI and not voiding your warranty? I want a CAI but I'm worrying about the tune. So can I just get the CAI and not tune it or should I just wait until my warranty is over?

Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Slider
How are y'all getting around using a tuned CAI and not voiding your warranty? I want a CAI but I'm worrying about the tune. So can I just get the CAI and not tune it or should I just wait until my warranty is over?
You could get a BBK
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang

You could get a BBK
This one
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-2005-v6-cai.html

Old 06-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
CAIs do little to nothing realistically, it helps slightly with airflow but all the gains come from the tune.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
CAIs do little to nothing realistically, it helps slightly with airflow but all the gains come from the tune.
Yeah they do are you kidding. A tune gets 16hp but couple that with a cai, you get 25-30hp so yeah they do help.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

On a dyno. How often do you have your hood open with a fan blowing on it while you are driving... Yes they show gains in HP and TQ but while driving on the street the CAI gives little gains. I'm not saying they give nothing but they dont give as nearly as much as they claim.

HID end all thread
Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It will look sexy under the hood until my warranty runs out and then I will get my tune. Hahahaha
Old 06-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
On a dyno. How often do you have your hood open with a fan blowing on it while you are driving... Yes they show gains in HP and TQ but while driving on the street the CAI gives little gains. I'm not saying they give nothing but they dont give as nearly as much as they claim.
That fan isn't blowing 60mph wind so when you're going 60mph yeah you'll get the same gains
Old 06-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Cai with a tune adds a lot, without a tune adds a little. Really not worth the money without a tune IMO. Some tuners make a copy of your factory tune so you can set it back if need be.
jamin22786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I just put on a bbk intake with no tune. I intend on tuning later but it has a little increase in power without it. Not a lot but honestly the look and sound are my favorite part.
45thMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Slider
Wouldn't installing the CAI itself void the warranty, regardless of a tune or not?
sixty4half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thMustang
I just put on a bbk intake with no tune. I intend on tuning later but it has a little increase in power without it. Not a lot but honestly the look and sound are my favorite part.
That's what I'm going for right now.

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4half

Wouldn't installing the CAI itself void the warranty, regardless of a tune or not?
I don't know about that. I will call and ask Ford. Sorry about the double post. I couldn't double quote on my phone[COLOR="Silver"]

Cool it didn't double post
Old 06-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:

Yes, it will void the warranty, so keep the stock one and swap it back off if you have issues.
jamin22786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Re: CAI Question

The "no tune required" CAI doesn't do anything other than cause you to spend a lot of money "to make it look pretty" under the hood. Think about it, if the aftermarket CAI doesn't require a tune, then that tells you that it did nothing to change the air flow to the engine and the car is running stock still.

As far as warranty issues - I never had an issue with my car when it came to warranty work with all of my mods; thankfully I never had much warranty work needed. They knew it was modified, and knew it was tuned. I even brought it in with a blown head gasket and it was not an issue.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Lolololol they do little to nothing then why are people still buying them? Obviously they are worth it of people still buy them. Why would people creat hood scoops? Because the air gets pushed into the CAI...

---------- Post added at 03:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

Quote:

No it would not void your warranty. 1. You can clear your tune as re-install your factory tune. 2. Ford sells their own tuner (ford racing) look it up.

---------- Post added at 03:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
The "no tune required" CAI doesn't do anything other than cause you to spend a lot of money "to make it look pretty" under the hood. Think about it, if the aftermarket CAI doesn't require a tune, then that tells you that it did nothing to change the air flow to the engine and the car is running stock still.

As far as warranty issues - I never had an issue with my car when it came to warranty work with all of my mods; thankfully I never had much warranty work needed. They knew it was modified, and knew it was tuned. I even brought it in with a blown head gasket and it was not an issue.
You do see a difference even without a tune. Only Noticable gain is a bit more acceleration response time. Other than that 99.999999999999% of all CAIs will preform wayyyyy better with a tune.

PROJECT "6APPEAL"

Founder of Topeka Mustang Club
MTilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so get the CAI with tune then if I need service use the tune to return to factory. I'm new to the CAI tune non tune thing that's why I posted the question. I was just going to get the $120 CAI that AM sells that's a non tune.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
The best cai for the money I could find that doesn't require a tune is the bbk blackout. Probably the safest route to go if you aren't going to tune at the time of the install.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm looking at getting the BBK
Old 07-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The bbk will give you an extra 7 rwhp without a tune. With a race tune, you will get an extra 16, with a combined total of 23 rwhp
Old 07-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Re: CAI Question

Without a tune a CAI isn't going to do much beside give you a couple of HP and a cool sound. The CAI lets more air into your car, in some vehicles, without properly adjusting the engine management to handle that extra air, you will actually be doing a detriment to the engine.
carlspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

This is most likely the tuned you would buy. Cheap, reliable, and comes with free tunes. Notice the dyno run and horse gains.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/x3-cus...er-0510v6.html

Now here is the bbk cai that does not require a tune from the same website. On the dyno, they install the tune anyways for whatever reasons. Now look at the hp gains of the cai coupled with the tune, and do the math.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-bl...ai-0510v6.html

Regardless of which cai you decide to buy, get the tune.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Roma5
This is most likely the tuned you would buy. Cheap, reliable, and comes with free tunes. Notice the dyno run and horse gains.

Now here is the bbk cai that does not require a tune from the same website. On the dyno, they install the tune anyways for whatever reasons. Now look at the hp gains of the cai coupled with the tune, and do the math.

Every car is different so the gains you are seeing are not going to be the exact gains.
If you think of it this way a CAI that does not require a tune means that it is either not letting any more air in than stock or you are going to run on too much air. CAIs that require a tune changes the amount of air going into the engine which creates better airflow and more power.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

So yes always get a tune.

HID end all thread
Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I have heard that it is possible to avoid running lean by purchasing a higher grade of fuel. Can anyone verify this?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Roma5

Agreed. Some CAIs give more HP than others ( not running a tune. I talked to a
AM sales rep about the difference with the $200 BBK, and the $104 American Miscle CAI ( both for 05-09 v6 mustangs). He said the BBK will give more HP because of the fact that it has a better heat shield. The American Muscle CAI had a thin flimsy heat shield, which won't keep heat away from the filter as well, resulting in more heat soak.

PROJECT "6APPEAL"

Founder of Topeka Mustang Club
MTilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Just installed the bbk blackout cai (The one in the link above). No tune, and the only other mod I have is true dual x pipes. There is a small boost in hp, but large enough to the point where you can notice.

The instructions recommend that you use a higher grade of fuel, which was fine because I buy 91 anyways. I will get a performance tune soon, (the same tuned in the link above) and I am excited to see all the ricers in my rear view haha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai