car show wax - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
car show wax

So I just came back from a car show and saw a lot of nice mustangs and all the cars there had a sort of shine to it that one can see from a distance, does anyone have any suggestions for a good wax that will get that appearance?
Giffmastaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Get a glaze, it won't protect as much as a real wax will but it gives your car that nice wet shine.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

But is there anything in a wax? I washed my car then cleaned it then polished it and I'm thinking about using the wax called simx supreme shield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
What color is your stang
ponypackage07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponypackage07
What color is your stang
Satin silver pearl metallic, color code TL and I know that reads and blacks will shine alittle better than silver
Old 06-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Collinite 845 wax try it
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I use to use liquid glass but its 25 dollars here
Old 06-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: car show wax

i would recommend not just wax but going the distance on a full detail.

wash with dawn, clay bar it really good, wash with dawn, go over it with rubbing compound, wash with dawn.

Then you can apply your polish/wax/etc as you want. Dont forget trim~ no protection = oxidation = crappy looking.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
i would recommend not just wax but going the distance on a full detail.

wash with dawn, clay bar it really good, wash with dawn, go over it with rubbing compound, wash with dawn.

Then you can apply your polish/wax/etc as you want. Dont forget trim~ no protection = oxidation = crappy looking.
What brand of rubbing compound have you used? Do you think it could help with tiny spots (or something?) in the clearcoat?

Attachment 55633

I used a clay bar on it, but it had no affect on the spots.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you need to be really careful with what rubbing compound to use, it needs to be cleat coat safe as well. I use 3m brand rubbing compound thats clear coat safe, works great.

I would recommend leaving a buffer to the professionals~ but that works great if you know someone that knows what they are doing.

If the paint isnt that bad and has no real oxidation the above works great, just do as many trips around the car as are needed to remove swirls etc.

Rubbing compound removes clear coat so it should handle those spots depending on how many applications are needed. If a couple dont get it maybe up to 3 then let a buffer have at it~

water spots (hard water) can be caused from washing the car with bad water and a filter may can be used. Sometimes rain can do it if you are in a bad area (city etc)
Old 06-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
you need to be really careful with what rubbing compound to use, it needs to be cleat coat safe as well. I use 3m brand rubbing compound thats clear coat safe, works great.

I would recommend leaving a buffer to the professionals~ but that works great if you know someone that knows what they are doing.

If the paint isnt that bad and has no real oxidation the above works great, just do as many trips around the car as are needed to remove swirls etc.

Rubbing compound removes clear coat so it should handle those spots depending on how many applications are needed. If a couple dont get it maybe up to 3 then let a buffer have at it~

water spots (hard water) can be caused from washing the car with bad water and a filter may can be used. Sometimes rain can do it if you are in a bad area (city etc)
The guy who owned the car before me used a car cover. I think it might have been from that. It's only on the hood and roof. Almost like he put the cover on when it was wet maybe.

So using a buffer might be a little dangerous to correct this prob? I have never used a buffer.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

if you have never used a buffer, dont. Get a pro to do the car, you can prep the car (clean the wax off etc) then let them buff it as abrasive as they see needed. Let them know of any body work done if there has been any before hand.

I had mine buffed, but nothing major just think of a clay bar on steroids~ depending on the stuff they use they can cut the paint X amount and clean it up as they buff up in levels to a great shine. You can only do it so many times though.

rubbing compound is not very abrasive in clear coat safe form~ and by hand at that so it may take many coats to get it good and elbow grease is needed
Old 06-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
if you have never used a buffer, dont. Get a pro to do the car, you can prep the car (clean the wax off etc) then let them buff it as abrasive as they see needed. Let them know of any body work done if there has been any before hand.

I had mine buffed, but nothing major just think of a clay bar on steroids~ depending on the stuff they use they can cut the paint X amount and clean it up as they buff up in levels to a great shine. You can only do it so many times though.

rubbing compound is not very abrasive in clear coat safe form~ and by hand at that so it may take many coats to get it good and elbow grease is needed
Sorry, one final Q.. When you had yours buffed, did you go to a detailer or an actual paint & body shop?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang