Vortech - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Vortech

Does anyone have a Vortech supercharger. I've looked ant turbos and superchargers and Vortech seems to be the best. But I want to get an opinion from someone who actually has one. Pros and cons?
Claypops is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypops
Does anyone have a Vortech supercharger. I've looked ant turbos and superchargers and Vortech seems to be the best. But I want to get an opinion from someone who actually has one. Pros and cons?

The pro's:

Yes...and I've installed two. One on my friends 99' cougar which he has had installed since 2001 and one on my 06' mustang which I installed back in 2009.

It's an extremely reliable kit that's the entire reason I went with it. Considering my friend with the cougar that I helped install over 11 going on 12 years ago has had not one episode.

That being said I have 128,000miles on my mustang, I installed it just below 70,000miles meaning I've logged 50,000 miles on it already.

The newer kits for the 4.0 will be an easier install since you don't have to drill a oil line for return oil in the front of your engine. The new kits are designated v3. I have a v2 kit and am happy with it. It's a slightly different supercharger kit.

Ps make sure you buy new plugs "champion rs10lc" they are the coldest plugs I could find that arnt silver and gap them to .030-.035.

So that's the pros.

The cons:

I had to cut the **** out of my fan shroud so the piping would not rub against my fan shroud "attached photo". I only discovered this problem after 10,000miles. Make sure you use Teflon tape on all your fittings so it won't leak. My friend with the cougars leaked a bit where there was no teflon tape.

Keep your engine bay dry. My vortech tensioner pulley went bad at around 40,000miles I live in San Francisco where it's always damp and foggy. And since I live near the ocean things tend to rust when induced to moisture. This only happened because I removed my rubber seal that helps keep rain water out. Which I've recently reinstalled. It was a $50 pulley the bearings were little rusty on the old unit causing the noise.

Conclusion:

In my eyes I couldn't have made a better choice. Especially since I live in California and laws impede on my freedoms to mod "smog legalities". All of my parts have to have a carb eo# and they do. I don't have to worry about being pulled over for illegal mods and have my car towed like a lot of the Honda and Toyota guys. It produces a lot of power, affordable and most of all the number one thing in my book it's reliable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-501183712.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	58986  
Enorym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks. That really helps. Did you buy it from the Vortech website?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Nope...I found a better deal on eBay.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok thanks. That really helps. Did you buy it from the Vortech website?
I paid $2900 for the satin kit. The intercooled kit is not smog legal in California.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enorym

I paid $2900 for the satin kit. The intercooled kit is not smog legal in California.
Are you not worried about internals damage?
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang

Are you not worried about internals damage?
Haha no I dyno tuned it at a Friends shop. I still have it running rich. And have no desire to lean it out for any more power.

Besides if I blow it up I'll just buy a ecoboost 3.5
Old 07-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Re: Vortech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enorym View Post
Did you buy the kit new or used?
DAG 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

eBay seems sketchy to me. Especially for something that expensive. But I will look. The kit on Vortech said it came with a tuner. Did it not?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAG 01

Did you buy the kit new or used?
New of course.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Quote:
eBay seems sketchy to me. Especially for something that expensive. But I will look. The kit on Vortech said it came with a tuner. Did it not?
Yes comes with injectors, diablo sport tuner, k&n air filter and instructions. Of course all supporting hardware. Saved me $1100 on eBay. I was thinking about getting the xcharger kit since I lived in the napa area "where xcharger is located". But then found out it was not smog legal for manual transmissions.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Honestly "eBay" I hate it. But if they f' up something you just call PayPal and they refund your money 30 days later.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang