Electronic throttle control - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
So I was driving couple days ago with my stang, dropped my friend and drove, while I was driving in the neighborhood about 30 mph, and without prior notice I saw the wrench light came on and the car started to act weird, I pulled off and looked in the manual and it said the light related to the ETC, I had the same issue with my previous Chevy so I knew how to deal with it, I turned off the car waited 10 seconds and start again and everything was normal after that, drove it for more than 30 miles and also everything was normal, I was wondering if anyone experienced the same issue, or have any information about what's wrong.
In my previous chevy the case was worse than that which I had to replace the throttle control from Chevy for about $700, I hope nothing wrong with the throttle coz I dont have that money now lol.
My stang is 2005 V6.
Btw, I installed a new aftermarket grille with fog lights, do you think maybe this is causing the problem in any possible way!?
Thanks
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I am going through the exact same problems and its aggravating as hell especially when your cruising on the interstate and the stupid limp home mode engages. I've replaced the throttle positioning sensor, changed the filters, and cleaned maf sensor. Also I've disconnected the battery and let it sit for about 35 minutes or so but sooner or later the wrench comes back with the same CEL code saying ETC is bad.Its driving me nuts so any advice is greatly appreciated!
Mr. SoloDolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. SoloDolo
I am going through the exact same problems and its aggravating as hell especially when your cruising on the interstate and the stupid limp home mode engages. I've replaced the throttle positioning sensor, changed the filters, and cleaned maf sensor. Also I've disconnected the battery and let it sit for about 35 minutes or so but sooner or later the wrench comes back with the same CEL code saying ETC is bad.Its driving me nuts so any advice is greatly appreciated!
So you still have the problem after replacing these parts! Did you checked which codes are showing up on your car, I checked other forums and ppl had different codes and they had solutions for some of the codes.
In my case, It's four days since it happened and it didn't show up again, some ppl in other forums said if it didn't come back again, that's mean the computer sometimes just got a wrong signal, some ppl happened to them after installing a new stereo, so I'm still confused about it.
And another thing started to happen sometimes and I don't know if it's related to it or not, sometime when I park the car and put the transmission on P, the rpm will go below the normal like the car is going to turn off and then directly come back to normal in like two seconds. Confusing!
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
well last night i disconnected the battery and let it sit and it hasn't happened since. paint that it continues to run as awesome as it has its like a new machine!
Mr. SoloDolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakhwk
So I was driving couple days ago with my stang, dropped my friend and drove, while I was driving in the neighborhood about 30 mph, and without prior notice I saw the wrench light came on and the car started to act weird, I pulled off and looked in the manual and it said the light related to the ETC, I had the same issue with my previous Chevy so I knew how to deal with it, I turned off the car waited 10 seconds and start again and everything was normal after that, drove it for more than 30 miles and also everything was normal, I was wondering if anyone experienced the same issue, or have any information about what's wrong.
In my previous chevy the case was worse than that which I had to replace the throttle control from Chevy for about $700, I hope nothing wrong with the throttle coz I dont have that money now lol.
My stang is 2005 V6.
Btw, I installed a new aftermarket grille with fog lights, do you think maybe this is causing the problem in any possible way!?
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. SoloDolo
I think I have the solution to your problem. The Throttle Position Sensor. I had the same problem. I found mine at autopartstomorrow.com it should cost you about $80.00. It's plug and play.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

I think I have the solution to your problem. The Throttle Position Sensor. I had the same problem. I found mine at autopartstomorrow.com it should cost you about $80.00. It's plug and play.
Thanks for the information, it's good to know it will cost about $80 in case it will come back again, that's easy.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakhwk

Thanks for the information, it's good to know it will cost about $80 in case it will come back again, that's easy.
No problem I'm about 98% positive it will fix it. I drove for almost 2 years with it on and off sporadically. I found a TSB about on another forum. One day it just stayed on for good right before emissions. It really has little to do with emissions ( but the state would say it does), so I cleared the code, drove 100 miles got the emissions checked. Saved a little bought the part spent 2 days fixing it.

Just make sure you put a little heat on the part with a heat gun, before unscrewing the screws.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang