Louvers and paint. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Louvers and paint.

So i put side louvers on and the tape thing that came with is loosing its stickyness so i have been using super glue to hold the louver on the tape. Is there something i can buy that will hold the louvers?

My mustang had the spoiler held down by putty. While taking it of we had to use a knife. So now theres marks. Can i just get the trunk painted or is it better to get the whole car repainted?
MustangGirl1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Id say just the trunk its a big enough piece to where, done right, you can't tell it got repainted. My cheaper opinion =}
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks do you know how much? ( price range)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Not a clue , look around your area, ask around. Dont just want any cheap shop to do it, me personally id pay a little more to get it done right.
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Also consider the color difference or fading. My black 2007 for example has had the driver front fender, driver door, driverside rear quarter, rear bumper, trunklid and passenger rear quarter replaced and painted due to wreck and don't match the rest. My 07 was bought in 08 was garage parked during both day and night, still can see the difference.
Another tip, DO NOT EVER USE SERVICE KING.
gc19662007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:15 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Hmm I'd remove the louvers, clean and remove all traces of the old tape off the car/louvers and buy some new double sided tape. Take your time putting it on and try to maximize coverage and they should be alright.

As for the trunk I'd try to have that repainted but just that part mostly due to the higher cost of getting the entire car painted. If done correctly it might not be so bad. Of course afterwards if it turns out bad you could then decide to have the rest done.
BigRob1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Is there a certain tape thats better than another tape?
Old 08-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob1127
Hmm I'd remove the louvers, clean and remove all traces of the old tape off the car/louvers and buy some new double sided tape. Take your time putting it on and try to maximize coverage and they should be alright.

As for the trunk I'd try to have that repainted but just that part mostly due to the higher cost of getting the entire car painted. If done correctly it might not be so bad. Of course afterwards if it turns out bad you could then decide to have the rest done.
Will soap and water work to get tape off?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
3M tape should be good. I had to do this for my Roush hood scoop that was giving me some technical difficulties.

To get all traces of the tape off the scoop I had to resort to some goo be gone which did the trick. On the car hood itself just soapy water and some elbow grease was enough.
BigRob1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you! I bought some 3M tape
Old 08-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
First, you have to prepare the area before you apply the 3M doublesided tape, otherwise you will the same problem again!! I will tell you I did and two years later, my Quarter Panel Louvers are just as tight as the day I put them on. Also, if you bought them from AmericanMuscle.com, if so, you should have gotten installation instructions. It's all in the preparations!!!
1. Mark where you want the louvers to be placed!
2. You need to clean or remove all polish and or waxes! I used liquid ultra dawn dishsoap because it strips all wax and polish from the area!! Rinse and dry it well!
3. If your kit didn't come with an accellerator use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, you can find it at the nearest drugstore and pick some up! It's cheap! Less than $2.00 for a 16oz bottle. Plus it's good for cuts and scrapes. But, I digress.
4. Using a cottonball or pad with the alcohol, carefully apply to painted surface where the 3M tape will be place. ONLY!! (on louver as well as car) let it dry! And be careful!
5. Now, apply tape to louver and louver to car. Applying pressure evenly!
Paying Close Attention To Where You Placed Your Marks!
There you have it! Most importantly follow the instruction that came with the kit!
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Louvers and paint.

Luckily, Silver is one of the easier colors to panel paint, in my experience. Any GOOD (not decent!) shop should be able to do it for you and blend correctly.

SCCofSV, love your directions, couldn't have put it better myself!

Good luck!
05.BCA.Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05.BCA.Mach1 View Post
Luckily, Silver is one of the easier colors to panel paint, in my experience. Any GOOD (not decent!) shop should be able to do it for you and blend correctly.

SCCofSV, love your directions, couldn't have put it better myself!

Good luck!

WoW! Thank you! Thank you very much... I see it only took 5 months to do it, but hey, better late than never, I say!
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
No sure if everyone knows already, but a trick I learned when removing anything held on by double sided tape, if you can get behind it with a seesaw motion with some tough floss or fishing line. It will literally cut through the adhesive, no scratches.
Zhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoles08stang View Post
So i put side louvers on and the tape thing that came with is loosing its stickyness so i have been using super glue to hold the louver on the tape. Is there something i can buy that will hold the louvers?

My mustang had the spoiler held down by putty. While taking it of we had to use a knife. So now theres marks. Can i just get the trunk painted or is it better to get the whole car repainted?
In my experience super glue wouldn't hold a postage stamp to paper, try double sided tape from an automotive parts store that usually works if you want to use glue try gorilla glue, that stuf will stick anything together but make sure to get the clear dry not the white dry. Iv'e used it on my aero farings before and it works wonders.
as far as painting goes it depends on how old the car is and how much paint fade has occured, if any fading it's best to take it to auto body shop they can scan it and match the paint to the amount of fade your car has.
pamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCofSV View Post
First, you have to prepare the area before you apply the 3M doublesided tape, otherwise you will the same problem again!! I will tell you I did and two years later, my Quarter Panel Louvers are just as tight as the day I put them on. Also, if you bought them from AmericanMuscle.com, if so, you should have gotten installation instructions. It's all in the preparations!!!
1. Mark where you want the louvers to be placed!
2. You need to clean or remove all polish and or waxes! I used liquid ultra dawn dishsoap because it strips all wax and polish from the area!! Rinse and dry it well!
3. If your kit didn't come with an accellerator use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, you can find it at the nearest drugstore and pick some up! It's cheap! Less than $2.00 for a 16oz bottle. Plus it's good for cuts and scrapes. But, I digress.
4. Using a cottonball or pad with the alcohol, carefully apply to painted surface where the 3M tape will be place. ONLY!! (on louver as well as car) let it dry! And be careful!
5. Now, apply tape to louver and louver to car. Applying pressure evenly!
Paying Close Attention To Where You Placed Your Marks!
There you have it! Most importantly follow the instruction that came with the kit!
And deffintly do what she is saying, She really knows what she is talking about! I've done quite a bit of add ons and that's exactly how it has to be done. GREAT advice SCCofSV
pamson is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang