Question about Brakes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Question about Brakes

I have a 2008 V6 Premium Pony Package, only 30k miles had it since day 1 and single digit miles. I have a question about the stock brake system though. My master cylinder went bad a while back and I had it replaced because my pedal would go all the way to the floor and grind like the abs kept engaging mostly while braking while going down slopes or hitting bumps. Now I've been in other cars where you barely tap the brakes and they stop on a dime. Since I've had it fixed I still have to push the pedal about halfway down before the brakes engage. I don't remember if it was always like this from the start. I was wondering is this just how muscle/pony cars and mustangs are with braking vs other cars that have really touchy and sensitive brakes? People always think I have a prob with the brakes except the ford techs and myself I have no trouble braking only prob I had was when the master cylinder went right after the stock warranty went out. It wasn't totally bad just the pressure was weak so it was on the verge of failing. I could've not replaced it but if it would've eventually failed I could've had some major issues. Brakes, rotors, calipers, lines, all of that stuff is OK nothing else needs work I'm just guessing the stock brakes are normal to have to be pressed down quite a ways vs say something like a Honda?
cjd_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: Question about Brakes

Well a honda doesnt go very fast,,so thats why it doesnt take much to stop..lol..jk..On a serious not i work with fords and chevys,,and the fords seem to have a more firm brake ,,where as a chevy you dont have to apply has hard,,but your pedal really shouldnt go down halfway...Try this,,, with the car idling,,hit the brakes and hold,,and then quickly hit them again,,if the pedal seems to go down less the second time,,then you still have air in the system...
Old 08-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It just seems that other cars including Fords like the suvs if you say are going 5-15 mph and you press the brake an inch or two it stops quick and easily the brakes feel firm. Mine more or less feels loose like I have to press it 3 or 4 inches like the first few inches dont mean anything but engage the brake light.

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

When you drive it you gotta push it down kind of far for it to stop. It was believed to be from the failing master cylinder once it got fixed it got way better it didn't go to the floor but you still have to push it down a little bit vs tap it like other cars. I think it might just be a mustang thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Try what i said ,,to make sure you dont have any air,,it not uncommon to trap air when you change the master cylinder
Old 08-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

So if air is trapped how do i let it out?

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

I also remember it knocking a few times when it hit the floor I mean it works it just concerns me that it still seems to go a little low not as low as before you can stop, it never actually truly hits the floor just you gotta hold the pedal down a good couple of inches to stay stopped. Master cylinder was the only concern but if there is air trapped I need to get it out so the vacuum works properly.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd_1986
It just seems that other cars including Fords like the suvs if you say are going 5-15 mph and you press the brake an inch or two it stops quick and easily the brakes feel firm. Mine more or less feels loose like I have to press it 3 or 4 inches like the first few inches dont mean anything but engage the brake light.

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

When you drive it you gotta push it down kind of far for it to stop. It was believed to be from the failing master cylinder once it got fixed it got way better it didn't go to the floor but you still have to push it down a little bit vs tap it like other cars. I think it might just be a mustang thing.
My wife had a 08 ford edge that does the same thing, in 07 they did a redesign of the brake booster set up and proportioning valves this is why the brakes feel sloppy , it's a common , annoying problem with edge owners . A fix is to upgrade the rubber brake line to the caliper to a stainless braided line, upgrade to drilled and slotted rotors, and a high quality brake pad. There are also other fixes on some other edge and mustang forums ,
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ahh okay thanks yeah I was looking for all around feedback like this possible potential defect, flaw, redesign, etc. Only reason I couldn't rule it out was because I don't know anyone personally with the same car stock to see how it works. I always thought about an upgrade should fix it, its not a big deal for me I'm used to having to push it a little harder. When I get in other cars I have to get used to the touchy sensitive brakes usually I'll have a few quick jerk stops then get used to it and when I go back in my own car I gotta get re used to having to push it a little harder. Normally I don't let anyone else drive it but as long as its not like the master cylinder issue where it could potentially become something more than an annoyance and actually a safety hazard/issue. I stop no problem otherwise it doesn't affect braking distance at all. It's kind of nice cause I can just tap it to engage the brake light w/o braking if someones tailing your bumper just to get them to back off a little lol.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd_1986
Ahh okay thanks yeah I was looking for all around feedback like this possible potential defect, flaw, redesign, etc. Only reason I couldn't rule it out was because I don't know anyone personally with the same car stock to see how it works. I always thought about an upgrade should fix it, its not a big deal for me I'm used to having to push it a little harder. When I get in other cars I have to get used to the touchy sensitive brakes usually I'll have a few quick jerk stops then get used to it and when I go back in my own car I gotta get re used to having to push it a little harder. Normally I don't let anyone else drive it but as long as its not like the master cylinder issue where it could potentially become something more than an annoyance and actually a safety hazard/issue. I stop no problem otherwise it doesn't affect braking distance at all. It's kind of nice cause I can just tap it to engage the brake light w/o braking if someones tailing your bumper just to get them to back off a little lol.
For us in the beginning it was annoying as hell ,we did a master cylinder , bleed the system of air like a hundred times , bothered the crap out of ford Lol , it was that way from day one and now we are just used to it, we also bought the car new .
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Same bought new April 08 single digit mileage, no problems all the way through the stock warranty just bad mc otherwise everything works great.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang