Help Me! Rattling under my hood - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Help Me! Rattling under my hood

My car recently started making this metallic clicking sound. Well, it's more of a ticking sound. It doesn't do it at idle or while at high RPM while I'm cruising on the highway. It does become more pronounced while accelerating.

Before it started I filled the car up, having let the tank get down to about 1.2 gallons (I put little over 14.5 gallons in it). This was the first time had let it get that low since getting the car about 4 months ago. 1/2 a mile after filling the car up the seal around the water pump went out and it started leaking coolant. I had no other choice but to take the car to pick the kids up at school, but the car never lost more than .6 liters of water (that's how much i put back in it to "top it off").

I was taking the car in to the dealer to have the seal replaced, as well as have the stepper motors looked at, when I noticed the ticking. It was much more pronounced when I first noticed it and has seemed to chill out a little since being in the shop. They replaced the Alternator and the leaking seal while it was in the shop.

Once the car warms up, the ticking seems to subside. Even sitting out in the sun all day while I'm at work, I can barely notice the sound as I'm leaving work. It's much more pronounced in the morning when I'm leaving for work after having set in my garage all night.

After looking under the hood I did notice a wire that seems to have become disconnected, I'll post the pic from my phone here in a minute.

Any thoughts guys?
sixty4half is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120831_155929.png
Views:	90
Size:	905.4 KB
ID:	66464

That red wire seems like it should be attached to that green one via the blue tube thingy.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Help Me! Rattling under my hood

By googling the cylindrical shaped object that wire comes from, it is apparently the aftermarket car alarm that was installed, so I don't think that is what is causing the problem. It might explain why i've had problems with my alarm though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm new to mustangs but in my older car when I had a rattle like that it was my rocker arms in the engine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang