Differential Advice! Noises? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Differential Advice! Noises?

I have already drained my differential by removing the cover. I cleaned the cover by wiping it with a clean cloth and then spray 3M Brake cleaner then wiped it complete dry. It is free of all lint. Will it harm the gears and or bearings if I use the the same on them? Or use WD40? Or should I use nothing. I need some advice quickly as I have a concert to go yo tonight!! I thank you in advance for your help!
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I wouldnt sweat it to much. The amount left over will be so minimal to the couple quarts of oil I. It.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
I wouldnt sweat it to much. The amount left over will be so minimal to the couple quarts of oil I. It.
What if there were microsize flakes, not really flakes they were so small. But, its still metal. You could see them in the cloth if the sun hit it just right. Like tip of a needle. Would that be considered normal wear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCofSV

What if there were microsize flakes, not really flakes they were so small. But, its still metal. You could see them in the cloth if the sun hit it just right. Like tip of a needle. Would that be considered normal wear?
How long has the oil been in it? It's probably just normal wear unless there is an excessive amount.

What rear end do you have?
I would be concerned if it either whines or if its an 8.8 and only one tire spins.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Approximately two years. It's when I changed over to Royal Purple. But I have been hearing a off sounding noise coming from either Diff, Trans or I thought Wheel bearing. And that's when I decided to change the trans fluid and gear oil. I now believe its drivers side wheelbearing.

No whining at all. What I did do. Was when I had it on jackstands, I spun the rear left wheel and it duplicated the sound I have been hearing. Almost like metal against metal or a ultrasound sound. Does that make sense?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Oh! Sorry, it is V6 with 7.5. Also, not sure if this makes a difference. But, I pulled my deadened up onto ramps but have jackstands underneath my rear axle. The weight is on my wheels. So when I decided to turn my wheels I placed a secondary jack next to primary jackstands just enough that it was free turning. The other side was stationary. I hope I am explaining this correctly. And thank you so for helping me. I would be lost!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCofSV
Oh! Sorry, it is V6 with 7.5. Also, not sure if this makes a difference. But, I pulled my deadened up onto ramps but have jackstands underneath my rear axle. The weight is on my wheels. So when I decided to turn my wheels I placed a secondary jack next to primary jackstands just enough that it was free turning. The other side was stationary. I hope I am explaining this correctly. And thank you so for helping me. I would be lost!
Yeah sorry I had to eat and shower. Now I'm not experienced with the 7.5 rearend. But I do THINK its similar just smaller.

So I'm guessing that you had to pull the cover.is it still off? If it is can you take a pic of the gears? That will tell the tail.

And yes you are explaing good. It's hard for me to pin point your noise without being there. But I do believe wheel bearing are gonna be pretty cheap. And they are easy to change.

P.s. keep in mind I am going off the fact that I THINK they are similar to an 8.8.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCofSV View Post
Approximately two years. It's when I changed over to Royal Purple. But I have been hearing a off sounding noise coming from either Diff, Trans or I thought Wheel bearing. And that's when I decided to change the trans fluid and gear oil. I now believe its drivers side wheelbearing.

No whining at all. What I did do. Was when I had it on jackstands, I spun the rear left wheel and it duplicated the sound I have been hearing. Almost like metal against metal or a ultrasound sound. Does that make sense?
I know on mine they have a TSB on some of the noises,,its a dampener you get from ford that goes on each end of the diff..While you got the cover off,see if you can move the ring gear side to side,,you shouldnt have any play,,Hold it tight so you dont move the backlash,,Also grab the drive shaft yolk and see if there is any movement up and down..Mine was good it had a little whirling noise on certain roads,,the dampeners from ford is suppose to help..not sure if thats your problem though..Also look at the magnet and see if there is excessive metal on it
Old 10-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi! Thank you for responding! What is a TSB? I have never heard that term before. As for the Ring gears, there was no play what so ever! Actually I couldn't get anything to move in the Diff. When I moved or twisted the driveshaft slightly right to left, believe that was the only time anything in the differential would move I also also had taken long flat screwdriver with a piece of a clean T-shirt wrapped around the tip. And used that to try and get movement and I would have more leverage. But still was unable to get movement. So everything was as it should be. And NO scarred marks anywhere.

I asked my neighbor who is a retired Heavy Machinery Mechanic and had just recently finished his resto of a 1948 GMC 3/4 Ton Pickup from the ground up. Total Engine, Drivetrain and Electrical rebuild as well as upgraded from 6 to 12 volt. To crawl under my car and take a look. He had already done what you told me to do. And explained what and why he was doing it. I forgot the What and Why. Yet, t will ask him again. I did watch him mess with he driveshaft while looking into the differential.. He did say something to the effect, that he didn't think it was in the differential. But, I could be mistaken.

I'm going to take it for a test drive and will let you know if the noise is still there
Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCofSV View Post
Hi! Thank you for responding! What is a TSB? I have never heard that term before. As for the Ring gears, there was no play what so ever! Actually I couldn't get anything to move in the Diff. When I moved or twisted the driveshaft slightly right to left, believe that was the only time anything in the differential would move I also also had taken long flat screwdriver with a piece of a clean T-shirt wrapped around the tip. And used that to try and get movement and I would have more leverage. But still was unable to get movement. So everything was as it should be. And NO scarred marks anywhere.

I asked my neighbor who is a retired Heavy Machinery Mechanic and had just recently finished his resto of a 1948 GMC 3/4 Ton Pickup from the ground up. Total Engine, Drivetrain and Electrical rebuild as well as upgraded from 6 to 12 volt. To crawl under my car and take a look. He had already done what you told me to do. And explained what and why he was doing it. I forgot the What and Why. Yet, t will ask him again. I did watch him mess with he driveshaft while looking into the differential.. He did say something to the effect, that he didn't think it was in the differential. But, I could be mistaken.

I'm going to take it for a test drive and will let you know if the noise is still there
Technical service bulletin,,its info that the dealership and other places put out about vehicle that have similar problems,,and usually has a fix for it
Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

My Mustang, what year is your car? I haven't had a chance to drive it but will be doing so in a few minutes. I hope I didn't forget anything.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang