Engine Code P0171 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #1

Region: South Carolina
Engine Code P0171

I have a 2006 V6 auto w/ ~70,000 miles and I recently installed a Stack Racing CAI about 2 months ago. A week after the install my CEL came on and the DTC code came back as P0171. After several code clears and an ECM reset, the code keeps popping up. I've recently done a few things to try to find a cure:

Smoke test to try to find a leak in the intake gasket, vacuum hoses, and exhaust- no leaks found
Cleaned and eventually replaced my MAF due to a separate but resolved problem ( DTC P0113)

However the CEL continues to pop back up about 50 miles or so after each code clear. The freeze frame form the most recent code read (about 4 hours ago) reads:

Trouble Code: P0171
Fuel System 1: CL, using H02S
Fuel System 2: N/A
Calculated Load: 64.3%
Coolant Temp: 185 F
Short Term Fuel Trim 1: 5.4%
Long Term Fuel Trim 1: 24.9%
Short Term Fuel Trim 2: 2.3 %
Long Term Fuel Trim 2: 24.9%
MAP (in. Hg): 21.5
Engine RPM: 1857
Vehicle Speed: 32 MPH
Ignition Advance: 31.5 Degrees
Intake Air Temp: 54 F
Mass Air Flow: 3.765 lb/min
Absolute Throttle Position: 23.1%
O2S11: 0.415 v and 10.1%
O2S12: 0.730 v and N/A %
O2S21: 0.840 v and 3.1%
O2S22: 0.810 v and N/A%

I/M Status

MIL Status: on
Misfire Monitor: ok
Fuel System Monitor: ok
Comp. Component: ok
Catalyst Monitor: ok
Htd Catalyst: n/a
Evap System Monitor: inc
Sec Air System: n/a
A/C Refridg Monitor: n/a
O2 Sensor Monitor: ok
O2 Sensor Heater: ok
EGR System: ok

I'm only 17 and this is the first time I've ever had to deal with problems like these so any info y'all can give will really help! Let me know what y'all think! Thanks!
Dako1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I don't know if it will work on a 2006, but as far as I know there is a self analysis test that you can preform on your speedo for 99-2004's. Put your key in the ignition ,turn key one time, then push your trip button in and hold it down while at the same time turning your key for a second time.. After five seconds the words "Gage" will appear. Once all your gates sweep right than back left you can let go of your trip and start your car.. It'll show problem codes if you have any(which you can look up in your user manual to see what's wrong). This self analysis will also show you other cool things like fuel level, battery level, rpm's and mph while you're driving. Hope that helps. Sorry if it gets kind of confusing. It's easier to do than it sounds
813floridaracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Some of the many things it'll show
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-421844811.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	71702   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1452342069.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	71703  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-437649268.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	71704   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4194784517.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	71705  

813floridaracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
That code is telling you:

Diagnostic Trouble Codes P0171 (System too Lean Bank 1)

Looks like this is in the stuff you captured:
Quote:
Short term is different for bank 1.

Did you retune for the CAI? Sounds like that is causing your lean code. Especially given the timing of putting the CAI on the car and the resulting CEL and code.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Make sure you don't have any leaks in your CAI setup that are bypassing the MAF. Check your MAF connection too.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #6

I've checked the CAI connections and MAF several times over and I haven't found any leaks or spaces. As for the retune, American Muscle (where I got the CAI from) said a tune was not required for this particular CAI. But if it was an issue with the intake, wouldn't affect both sides of my engine and not just bank 1?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dako1994 View Post
I've checked the CAI connections and MAF several times over and I haven't found any leaks or spaces. As for the retune, American Muscle (where I got the CAI from) said a tune was not required for this particular CAI. But if it was an issue with the intake, wouldn't affect both sides of my engine and not just bank 1?
AM is correct, no tune is required for nearly all CAI setups. An easy way to determine if its the tune is to flash back to the stock tune. Anytime you flash a new tune, you should perform the idle re-learn. It allows the ECU time to adjust the idle and fuel trim.

Idle Re-Learn

Disconnect NEG from battery for 5min

Reconnect and start car, let idle until engine gets to operating temp. Let idle a little over a minute

Turn on A/C to MAX, let idle little over a minute, turn off A/C

Then drive the car for at least 10 miles
Old 10-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #8

I'll give the ECM reset and idle relearn another shot. I haven't done any tuning so the ECM still has the stock tune. I'll go by Autozone as well to get some fuel injector cleaner as well to see if that will make a difference.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #9

Here's an update on what I've done:

My grand dad and I flipped the O2 sensors before the cats in order to rule out them causing the p0171 code. We did a code clear and ECM reset afterwards but the code came back. So now the only thing I can think of now are the fuel injectors. I've been thinking about a Seafoam treatment to see what it would do for them. What do y'all think?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Here's an update on what I've done:

My grand dad and I flipped the O2 sensors before the cats in order to rule out them causing the p0171 code. We did a code clear and ECM reset afterwards but the code came back. So now the only thing I can think of now are the fuel injectors. I've been thinking about a Seafoam treatment to see what it would do for them. What do y'all think?
Flipped the O2 sensors...does that mean you swapped them out with the others to see if they were bad?

Checkout this website and see if there is any other testing you can try before you buy and new injectors, etc.
Troubleshooting p0171 and p0174 codes

I'm looking for a link that was posted on how to test injectors. I'll post that when I find it.

If you do Seafoam, make sure you do it as the instructions on their website suggest. The only Seafoaming I've done is to dump it in the gas tank. Anybody else have some Seafoam suggestions?
Old 10-23-2012, 12:47 AM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Here's a link to a method to clean your injectors from Trojan Horse. If you try this, be careful. I can't seem to find the injector testing link, but I'll keep looking.

Useful Mustang Info - Homemade Injector Cleaner
Old 10-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #12

We just moved the O2 sensor from bank 1 to bank 2 and vice versa. We were hoping when the light came back on that the code would come up on bank 2 but it didn't. I think I'm gonna do a Seafoam treatment this weekend when I have the time to do it
Old 10-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
We just moved the O2 sensor from bank 1 to bank 2 and vice versa. We were hoping when the light came back on that the code would come up on bank 2 but it didn't. I think I'm gonna do a Seafoam treatment this weekend when I have the time to do it
Cool, let us know how it goes.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Did you recently oil your CAI filter? Or over oiled it from when you installed it? Before you waste a bunch of time and monies on other stuff see if you can get a new filter and install it. I know the ones for my car I can pick up at Oriely for $20. The same thing happened to my stang about 6 months ago. I had over oiled the filter. No matter how much I cleaned it I still got the codes. I put a new filter on and no more codes. Also, don't forget to clean your MAF sensor.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #15

I just got home from school and popped the hood to take a peek. When I did I heard a hissing sound coming from the left side of the engine that's throwing the codes. Is that normal? Or should there be any hissing what so ever to release heat or something like that?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
I just got home from school and popped the hood to take a peek. When I did I heard a hissing sound coming from the left side of the engine that's throwing the codes. Is that normal? Or should there be any hissing what so ever to release heat or something like that?
That could be a vacuum leak.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #17

But wouldn't the smoke test show that leak? When we did it, there wasn't any noticeable smoke coming from the engine bay
Old 10-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #18
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
But wouldn't the smoke test show that leak? When we did it, there wasn't any noticeable smoke coming from the engine bay
If its a smoke test where you hold it around the engine, I would think so.

If it was a manifold leak in you exhaust, I don't think it would throw a code, so I don't think could explain the noise. Is it loud enough to determine what side of the engine it's on?

Also, you may want to double-check your intake for leaks. Piping, around the MAF, maybe close to the throttle body. That could give the sound you hear, if it was big enough of a leak.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #19

Never mind about the hissing sound now. I found out that was my A/C pressurizing lol. I realized that I was running the air conditioning full blast since it gets pretty hot down here in South Carolina and I ran it today with the windows down and no A/C. No hissing when I popped the hood! No change with the engine light though
Old 10-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #20
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Never mind about the hissing sound now. I found out that was my A/C pressurizing lol. I realized that I was running the air conditioning full blast since it gets pretty hot down here in South Carolina and I ran it today with the windows down and no A/C. No hissing when I popped the hood! No change with the engine light though
That's good, Lol. At least there's not another prob going on.

For your CEL code, take a look at this website and see if there is some info here that will help.
[URL="http://www.aa1car.com/library/ford_lean_codes.htm["]Ford Lean Codes/URL]
Old 10-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
I have a 2006 V6 auto w/ ~70,000 miles and I recently installed a Stack Racing CAI about 2 months ago. A week after the install my CEL came on and the DTC code came back as P0171. After several code clears and an ECM reset, the code keeps popping up. I've recently done a few things to try to find a cure:

Smoke test to try to find a leak in the intake gasket, vacuum hoses, and exhaust- no leaks found
Cleaned and eventually replaced my MAF due to a separate but resolved problem ( DTC P0113)

However the CEL continues to pop back up about 50 miles or so after each code clear. The freeze frame form the most recent code read (about 4 hours ago) reads:

Trouble Code: P0171
Fuel System 1: CL, using H02S
Fuel System 2: N/A
Calculated Load: 64.3%
Coolant Temp: 185 F
MAP (in. Hg): 21.5
Engine RPM: 1857
Vehicle Speed: 32 MPH
Ignition Advance: 31.5 Degrees
Intake Air Temp: 54 F
Mass Air Flow: 3.765 lb/min
Absolute Throttle Position: 23.1%
O2S11: 0.415 v and 10.1%
O2S12: 0.730 v and N/A %
O2S21: 0.840 v and 3.1%
O2S22: 0.810 v and N/A%

I/M Status

MIL Status: on
Misfire Monitor: ok
Fuel System Monitor: ok
Comp. Component: ok
Catalyst Monitor: ok
Htd Catalyst: n/a
Evap System Monitor: inc
Sec Air System: n/a
A/C Refridg Monitor: n/a
O2 Sensor Monitor: ok
O2 Sensor Heater: ok
EGR System: ok

I'm only 17 and this is the first time I've ever had to deal with problems like these so any info y'all can give will really help! Let me know what y'all think! Thanks!
Wow thats a terrible long term..I noticed you were moving ,,usually if the trims are bad at idle,,but good driving its a vacuum leak,,but bad trims while driving a real low Baro reading,,maybe the PCV valve stuck open causing a internal leak,,Can you read the baro numbers,,Ive also seen low fuel pressure send that code,,(fuel filter),,fuel pump..If everythings good try and put your factory air filter back on and see what happens..
Old 10-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #22
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post

Wow thats a terrible long term..I noticed you were moving ,,usually if the trims are bad at idle,,but good driving its a vacuum leak,,but bad trims while driving a real low Baro reading,,maybe the PCV valve stuck open causing a internal leak,,Can you read the baro numbers,,Ive also seen low fuel pressure send that code,,(fuel filter),,fuel pump..If everythings good try and put your factory air filter back on and see what happens..
Thanks for the help Hope that helps OP out, Lol cause I haven't been much help.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #23

But how would I go about checking my fuel pressure and where exactly are my PCV valves? And how would I check my PCV valves to see if they're stuck open?

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

And thanks Azure! You've taught me a thing or two since I'm new at this I really appreciate it!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #24

Well I found my PCV valve and I went ahead and did a check to see if the valve was stuck open. I unhooked the PCV hose and attached a rubber hose to the PCV valve neck sticking out of the valve cover. I blew into it to only find the air to build up in the hose and blow back in my face after taking my mouth off. And then I quickly sucked on the hose to see if it opened with the vacuum which it did. So I think I ruled out the PCV valve being stuck open isn't my issue
Old 10-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #25
Lorraine's driver

Regular

That's good. Sorry I haven't responded since your last post.

For your fuel pressure check, you should have a pressure tap on your fuel rails. It's a shrader fitting, similar to what you find on your wheels for airing up your tires.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #26
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Attachment 73570
It will look similar to this.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #27

Ok thanks! I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can find it! I'll ask my grand dad or my uncles if they have a fuel pressure gauge somewhere
Old 10-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok thanks! I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can find it! I'll ask my grand dad or my uncles if they have a fuel pressure gauge somewhere
If you cant find one,,sometimes autozone or advance does loaner tools..

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Thanks for the help Hope that helps OP out, Lol cause I haven't been much help.
Your been plenty of help,,its just a matter of brainstorming ,,to figure something out..I dont know anything about performance stuff,,except the old school stuff,,this site has helped me out alot
Old 10-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #29

I've also been meaning to ask what the ideal range for the fuel pressure would be. And also I've checked several times and there is no spot to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail. What should I do to have it checked?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Woah. K guys I think this thread has gone a little sideways. I've had this issue too. Same error code. The car throws it if the cars fuel trim is past 10% for too long. The car isn't actually running rich. It's just the written tune is allocating too much fuel for what is actually going on. My bama tunes have all been way way too rich. First couple were 32% fuel trim. Most recent is down to 19 and that's still way too much imo. Get your a/f ratio tested on a dynojet if your really worried about rich it will show up there for sure.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #31
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
Woah. K guys I think this thread has gone a little sideways. I've had this issue too. Same error code. The car throws it if the cars fuel trim is past 10% for too long. The car isn't actually running rich. It's just the written tune is allocating too much fuel for what is actually going on. My bama tunes have all been way way too rich. First couple were 32% fuel trim. Most recent is down to 19 and that's still way too much imo. Get your a/f ratio tested on a dynojet if your really worried about rich it will show up there for sure.
If I remember right, OP is running on a stock tune. He does not have a tuner yet.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #32

Yeah I haven't done anything to mess with the ECM besides having to reset the idle when I installed the CAI. I just can't figure out why I'm pulling that large of a fuel trim but the code tells me I'm running lean
Old 10-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #33

I went to put gas in my car and just decided to rescan the car. Everything is pretty much the same except now P0174 showed up for bank 2. This is starting to get annoying :/
Old 10-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You could still get excessive fuel trim on a stock tune. Definitely get the a/f readings done. If it's global in the engine and the a/f is ok then
Start checking everything that could restrict air flow or air delivery including sticky tb or a gummed up maf sensor.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
Some computers will wait until 20%,,before it throws the code,,19 is still too high,,thats acually represents corrections that its making,,Mine is +7 to -7 roughly

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang