Really bad vibrating after dual exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via MSN to dudeitsdylan
Really bad vibrating after dual exhaust

A few weeks ago I got Magnaflow dual exhaust put on. I have had really bad vibrating since they have been on. When I am idling it vibrates so bad it makes my hand shake when it's on the steering wheel. Also, around 40-45 I get a really high pitched almost whistle like noise. Does anybody have any idea what either of these things is from? I took it back to the exhaust shop and they spent hours looking at it and they said the exhaust isn't touching anything and the hangers are fine. They put a 8in flex pipe on it thinking that might fix it, but it didn't. They had no idea what it might be and said to try driving it for a while to see if that fixes it, but it hasn't. They can't seem to figure out the problem and neither can my dad. Anybody have any ideas what it might be? It's really embarrassing cause you can hear it outside vibrating too.
dudeitsdylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
did you take pics during the install so we can see under the car? or can you just take some for us. Maybe go to another shop to get a 2nd opinion because something is either loose or touching....did they use solid hangers or did they use rubber hangers?

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't take pics of install but I just went out and took some pics. If you need any other specific angles let me know, I didn't really know what angles to get. Also, the hangers are rubber. Could it be vibrating if the exhaust it too tight? When you try to move the exhaust it doesn't move at all, it moves the whole car instead. My uncle was saying it seems like that is the reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2728153120.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	394.1 KB
ID:	82117   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1352150477.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	82118  

Name:	image-2389202708.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	82119   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3338024232.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	372.4 KB
ID:	82120  

Name:	image-2042394723.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	82121  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

did u figure it out yet? there cant be only a few things that it can be? you say it vibrates when your not moving at an idle?? it may sound stupid but did they check the exhaust with the suspension loaded? I know mine was very close to the driveshaft when it was loaded or the rear end vent ? just some ideas, it has to b something simple if your feeling it at idle it has to be touching SOMETHING?
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
did u figure it out yet? there cant be only a few things that it can be? you say it vibrates when your not moving at an idle?? it may sound stupid but did they check the exhaust with the suspension loaded? I know mine was very close to the driveshaft when it was loaded or the rear end vent ? just some ideas, it has to b something simple if your feeling it at idle it has to be touching SOMETHING?
Yeah, it was loaded. The weird thing is the shop I took it to has done hundreds of dual exhausts on V6 mustangs and they said this is the first time this has ever happened. My uncle suggested after Christmas take it back to the shop and have them loosen it a bit. So I will do that if I can't figure out what is wrong with it, but he looked too and he even said it is definitely not touching anything. So 8 people have looked and said it's not touching, they even had everyone at the shop try to figure out what was wrong and everyone was just dumbfounded at what it could be. This is just my luck, lol.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I have the same problem lol
Atrav83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Find a New Shop.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

well there is only two places where the rubber hangers are, did by chance one of them didnt get put in the rubber> maybe its wedged against metal? after that im stumped?
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64
well there is only two places where the rubber hangers are, did by chance one of them didnt get put in the rubber> maybe its wedged against metal? after that im stumped?
Make sure the metal piece is going thru the center 0 that It's suppose to in the rubber hanger. When I changed my axle backs I realized Ford installed mine and just poked the metal thru but not thru the center. That could be your problem. And you probably wouldn't think to look there bc its suppose to be thru the rubber. Just an idea, but wouldn't hurt to check. Also make sure all of the places that they loosened the pipes are tightened good.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

Make sure the metal piece is going thru the center 0 that It's suppose to in the rubber hanger. When I changed my axle backs I realized Ford installed mine and just poked the metal thru but not thru the center. That could be your problem. And you probably wouldn't think to look there bc its suppose to be thru the rubber. Just an idea, but wouldn't hurt to check. Also make sure all of the places that they loosened the pipes are tightened good.
That happened to me once i bet they ****ed up the welding an the angle is bad on over the axle but its when the heat expands the pipe an it's hitting the floor of your car its a common problem where I'm from an it's from two specific shops in my city that it only happens to but that's why I do everything I can by myself an some friends ...shops that tend to **** people over alot .. the hard part is trying to find someone who u can trust
Wmcgrattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmcgrattan View Post

That happened to me once i bet they ****ed up the welding an the angle is bad on over the axle but its when the heat expands the pipe an it's hitting the floor of your car its a common problem where I'm from an it's from two specific shops in my city that it only happens to but that's why I do everything I can by myself an some friends ...shops that tend to **** people over alot .. the hard part is trying to find someone who u can trust
It seems like that could be a big possibility. I just know next time I'm ordering from AM and doing it myself. My dad was the one who talked me into an exhaust shop instead of ordering from AM. I realized now when it comes to cars you really so get what you pay for.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeitsdylan View Post

It seems like that could be a big possibility. I just know next time I'm ordering from AM and doing it myself. My dad was the one who talked me into an exhaust shop instead of ordering from AM. I realized now when it comes to cars you really so get what you pay for.
Its pretty sad how hard it is to find a reliable place to take your car that won't rob you on the price, that's always annoyed me. Which is why I'm trying to learn how to do my own stuff too
Old 12-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrav83 View Post

Its pretty sad how hard it is to find a reliable place to take your car that won't rob you on the price, that's always annoyed me. Which is why I'm trying to learn how to do my own stuff too
Yeah, it does suck. Everybody wants the money but doesn't want to do any work. I just noticed today the body shop must of messed something up with my hood cause it is shaking pretty bad on the interstate now. All these issues are happening all at once to me, ugh.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah, it does suck. Everybody wants the money but doesn't want to do any work. I just noticed today the body shop must of messed something up with my hood cause it is shaking pretty bad on the interstate now. All these issues are happening all at once to me, ugh.
Do you have pins on there? Most aftermarket hoods you need one
Old 12-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrav83 View Post

Do you have pins on there? Most aftermarket hoods you need one
It's the stock hood, he just pulled the dents out. The tip of the hood was wrapped under and he just pulled it out.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's the stock hood, he just pulled the dents out. The tip of the hood was wrapped under and he just pulled it out.
Ya he messed something up lol
Old 12-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
V6's aren't designed to have duals right, so the left side is gonna be real tight and there's probably a total if 1/2" play. I was doing my own on ramps and it touched the body somewhere that caused vibrations around the shifter. working on my back, I didn't have much room to maneuver, so I brought it to a muffler shop where they heated and played with it a little bit and fixed it within 15 min. Just bring it back to the shop and bring it to their attention. it's most likely an easy fix
Zhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:50 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeitsdylan

Bro not to sound like a bad a$$ but if I were you, I'd have filed a small claim law suit against the people that installed your exhaust and fixed your hood. Cause obviously they screwed it up to the point that you noticed it. Either tell them to fix the hood and/or exhaust or I'd go with my listed opinion. Depending on your state, most small claims cost around $65-75. Hope you get your problem resolved!

PROJECT "6APPEAL"

Founder of Topeka Mustang Club
MTilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:38 AM   #19
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
I didn't take pics of install but I just went out and took some pics. If you need any other specific angles let me know, I didn't really know what angles to get. Also, the hangers are rubber. Could it be vibrating if the exhaust it too tight? When you try to move the exhaust it doesn't move at all, it moves the whole car instead. My uncle was saying it seems like that is the reason.
Yeah, the third pic your exhaust is clearly touching the underbody. They need to cut off the hangers and weld longer ones on.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:59 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yep
Old 01-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTilly View Post
Bro not to sound like a bad a$$ but if I were you, I'd have filed a small claim law suit against the people that installed your exhaust and fixed your hood. Cause obviously they screwed it up to the point that you noticed it. Either tell them to fix the hood and/or exhaust or I'd go with my listed opinion. Depending on your state, most small claims cost around $65-75. Hope you get your problem resolved!
The exhaust and the hood aren't the same people. I guess I have bad luck choosing shops. I'm taking my car back to the place who did the body work soon because he said he will repaint a few spots where white bled through. I will see if he can fix the hood while I'm there. I noticed the front bumper and the back bumper are aligned good either, in some spots there are big gaps from the fender to bumper and some are spots are so close a fingernail probably couldn't fit through. So if he can't do something small claims court definitely is an option. As for the exhaust I'm taking it to them this week if I am free enough and I will see if what they can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Yeah, the third pic your exhaust is clearly touching the underbody. They need to cut off the hangers and weld longer ones on.
I will ask them to do that when I bring the car back to them this week if I'm free enough. It sucks I have such horrible luck with this. I guess next time I will take the chance and do it myself. LESSON LEARNED!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust