is it safe to run high octane without a tuner?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:56 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: California
is it safe to run high octane without a tuner??

I had been using the highest octane 91 or 93 not sure.. For the last month and today my car didnt start at all.. Im not using a tune. Is it safe ??
Andy714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 02:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Can foul plugs if your plugs can burn the fuel right but in all honesty running a higher octane fuel will niether help or hurt your car in most cases.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Btw the plug thing isnt tune related of course just an idea where to start looking for the issue..although i dont see a couple fouled plugs causing a no start condition. Did you do anything else? Id check battery and alt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 02:05 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Battery seems fine its only 6 months old.. It might be the alt.. But someones coming to check it out on monday
Old 01-20-2013, 02:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good...

Old 01-20-2013, 02:09 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Thanks man
Old 01-20-2013, 04:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Running the best gas possible is always a good idea. Your mpg's should go up slightly. Higher octane gas has extra additives the lower stuff doesn't. For example: cars that were produced when lead was put in gas, will not run rite on the lower octane gas because of the lack of the extra additives that replace the lead. Your cars computer should advance the timing for the higher octane.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Running higher octane than you are tuned for does nothing more than lighten your wallet. Many many studies on that already. The difference in the octane is the slower burn so that you don't get detonation. If you don't have pinging then you don't need the higher octane and the car won't "run better" nor will it "get better mpg".
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Running higher octane than you are tuned for does nothing more than lighten your wallet. Many many studies on that already. The difference in the octane is the slower burn so that you don't get detonation. If you don't have pinging then you don't need the higher octane and the car won't "run better" nor will it "get better mpg".
agree'd 110%....alot of people get confused over higher octane, but that's to be expected since companies want it to sell

Old 01-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
My math says different on mpgs.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
My math says different on mpgs.
i guess we can all just agree to disagree...i've never persoanally noticed a difference between running 87 or 91 in any of my cars...so i'll just stick with 87

Old 01-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I always used better gas .. Yea it's a little more but if ya do the math .. Here by me it's like 10 cents more .. So for 10 gal ( example ) the difference is one dollar... For better gas and not have my car start pinging ill pay the xtra buck.. I believe ya get Lil more mileage .. So it evens out... Just my opinion...
Bongadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongadier View Post
I always used better gas .. Yea it's a little more but if ya do the math .. Here by me it's like 10 cents more .. So for 10 gal ( example ) the difference is one dollar... For better gas and not have my car start pinging ill pay the xtra buck.. I believe ya get Lil more mileage .. So it evens out... Just my opinion...
Here it is more like $.40 per gallon more.

I tracked mileage for 10 tanks with 87 and 10 tanks with 93 after I had put 10k miles on my car and there was no difference in mileage.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson View Post

Here it is more like $.40 per gallon more.

I tracked mileage for 10 tanks with 87 and 10 tanks with 93 after I had put 10k miles on my car and there was no difference in mileage.
Yea 40 cents alot more... Damn .. Then that's 4 dollars per 10 gallons don't blame ya.... On the miles per gallon... Might not be huge difference or none at all but mentally feels and runs better... Lol... Just feels cleaner in engine.. If it prevents something whatever it is... Ounce of prevention worth more than pound of cure...but for 40 cents more a gallon I wouldn't do it either...
Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea 40 cents alot more... Damn .. Then that's 4 dollars per 10 gallons don't blame ya.... On the miles per gallon... Might not be huge difference or none at all but mentally feels and runs better... Lol... Just feels cleaner in engine.. If it prevents something whatever it is... Ounce of prevention worth more than pound of cure...but for 40 cents more a gallon I wouldn't do it either...
Or maybe not every tank .. Every so often though I don't think would hurt....
Old 01-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Lol its all head games..you want to clean your engine just seafoam it at every 20k. Here its a 30 cent difference ..although i dont mind paying it if it was worth it. If a few bucks break the bank every fill up i shouldnt be in a mustang lol. If a person feels running a high octane helps let them run it...if they feel its the same on a stock tune thats good too.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
Lol its all head games..you want to clean your engine just seafoam it at every 20k. Here its a 30 cent difference ..although i dont mind paying it if it was worth it. If a few bucks break the bank every fill up i shouldnt be in a mustang lol. If a person feels running a high octane helps let them run it...if they feel its the same on a stock tune thats good too.
Does seafoam really helps ?? Cus i did it to my 94 gt and didnt see any difference??
Old 01-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I spent almost $4000 in gas last year. (I only had the Mustang for 8 months of it and my older car got better gas mileage. I drive a lot.) That would mean it is roughly $400 a year more. I would need to see some benefit for $400.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson View Post

I spent almost $4000 in gas last year. (I only had the Mustang for 8 months of it and my older car got better gas mileage. I drive a lot.) That would mean it is roughly $400 a year more. I would need to see some benefit for $400.
I just think better gas helps engine somehow like people say ya don't need it unless your engine starts pinging ... Well there is a reason it started pinging and if ya use better gas to stop it .. Then the better gas is doing something????? I just don't want it to start pinging that's a benefit to me.... But like I was saying its not that much more here like it is in other places so I say why not??????
Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Also this I know for a fact but not saying it was the gas it coulda been anything but..... My grandfather lived in ct. He would always put less octane gas in his vehicle .. Every year to pass emissions he would have to have a tune up and do some work to the vehicle to pass.. As he got older drove a lil less he started putting higher octane in it... Never had to do another thing to pass went through every time flying colors.. He since passed so I can't get any more info about . Was it the gas ??? Who knows ???? It's like like some people say synthetic oil is great others say waste of time ( not trying to start anything about oil so please don't start.. Lol ) I'm just saying its a personal preference and personal experience on what ya want I guess no real right or wrong....

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

But I guess we can say we all love stangs and that should be enough....
Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongadier

I rebuild a lot of Harley motors, and I can tell you who runs the cheap stuff and who don't, I make it a point to ask. Lower octane leaves a lot of carbon build up on top of the pistons . Clean burning is enough for me to justify the .20 cents.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Also this I know for a fact but not saying it was the gas it coulda been anything but..... My grandfather lived in ct. He would always put less octane gas in his vehicle .. Every year to pass emissions he would have to have a tune up and do some work to the vehicle to pass.. As he got older drove a lil less he started putting higher octane in it... Never had to do another thing to pass went through every time flying colors.. He since passed so I can't get any more info about . Was it the gas ??? Who knows ???? It's like like some people say synthetic oil is great others say waste of time ( not trying to start anything about oil so please don't start.. Lol ) I'm just saying its a personal preference and personal experience on what ya want I guess no real right or wrong....

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

But I guess we can say we all love stangs and that should be enough....
If I'm not mistaking somebody will know if I'm wrong please let me know. But the higher octane gas burns hotter and will get the cats hotter which cleans them out. I don't know but sounds legit. Just glad Alabama doesn't have emissions check.......YET
Whiteboss302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboss302 View Post

If I'm not mistaking somebody will know if I'm wrong please let me know. But the higher octane gas burns hotter and will get the cats hotter which cleans them out. I don't know but sounds legit. Just glad Alabama doesn't have emissions check.......YET
I live in Florida they used to have it here but stopped it years ago.... Used to be a pain in the rear having to go there...
Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboss302 View Post
....But the higher octane gas burns hotter and will get the cats hotter which cleans them out. I don't know but sounds legit. .......
Actually higher octane burns slower than lower octane gas so you don't get detonation. The slow burn prevents engine knock when cylinder pressures are high.

High octane fuel has a higher flashpoint for a more controllable combustion. It actually burns a little bit slower and it is harder to ignite. It is necessary for engines with high compression ratios and usually requires a bit more spark advance than a standard engine. The whole idea of high octane fuel is to prevent detonation (that's when the fuel spontaneously combusts in cylinder without spark). If you are determined to waste your money and wish to use high octane fuel in a car with 9.5:1 or less compression ratio you will run the risk premature carbon build up in the combustion chamber which can cause the condition that high octane fuel is intended to cure, and make short lived the span of you catalytic converters.

Some more information on octane - octane level has nothing to do with "quality" of the gas or its additives.

http://mn.gov/commerce/weights-and-m...ctaneFacts.pdf
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Unless you're running a highly tuned and modified engine no reason to go above 91 octane, anything higher will not help at all. defintally do not go av gas ( 103 octane can do serious damage to engine will send cyl. head temps through the roof and warp heads )
pamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
We have 87/89/93 at most stations around here. If they had 91, I might do that, but I cant bring myself to use 89 for a few $ difference, especially with 10% ethanol.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
We have 87/89/93 at most stations around here. If they had 91, I might do that, but I cant bring myself to use 89 for a few $ difference, especially with 10% ethanol.
Agreed
Old 01-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I always run high octane.

I always have.

I've always believed it burns better, cleaner and more efficently. And, even if not, spending that extra bit of cash per tank helps me keep my right foot lighter. Therefore, by virtue of the psychological effect, I get better mileage. As to the issue of burning cleaner, or more efficently... who cares? My car is my baby, and I don't feed my baby no junk food!
Mkolabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Changes the feeling of the car when I put 91 I put 89 and it lags
Next_up23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang