Possible Issue with Tuner/Supercharger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Possible Issue with Tuner/Supercharger

I just ordered the X-Charger Xtreme Supercharger, but am wondering about the tuner that comes with it. It's most likely only programmed with the supercharger in mind, so it's not set up to take into account my dual exhaust system. I also have a Bama tuner, so my question is: Do I need to ask Bama for a retune to take into account exhaust system, as well as my supercharger? Or just use the one that comes with it and let it be?

I'm unsure if the effects are worth the effort.

Thanks.

Ford Racing CIA, X-Pipe, GT500 Takeoffs, Bama Tuned, X-Charger and Intercooler.
Tyrannax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I would get a dyno tune, handheld tuners are crap for FI. You really need a custom tune done to the car in person. Either way, you won't get a FI tune from BAMA

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
The tuners will be the same - SCT units. The difference is in the program loaded. Bama can send you a new Xcharger tune that you can load to your current hand held.

Even if you do a dyno tune you will need the Xcharger tune to get the car there. And then the tuner will load the new tune created on the dyno to your hand held. Most use SCT.

The hand held itself isn't used to tune the car. It is simply the device that stores the tune..

And the soccerluvr is wrong. Bama does have a tune for the Xcharger and other FI systems.

Congratulations on joining the 'X-men'

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

And if you do get a new tune from Bama for your current hand held, don't load the tune from the hand held that comes with your Xcharger. It will be unmarried then so it can be sold easily. Or you can set your car back to stock to unmarry it and just use the Explorer Express provided hand held and sell your old one. There won't be a need to change the tune just for dual exhaust.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannax View Post
I just ordered the X-Charger Xtreme Supercharger, but am wondering about the tuner that comes with it. It's most likely only programmed with the supercharger in mind, so it's not set up to take into account my dual exhaust system. I also have a Bama tuner, so my question is: Do I need to ask Bama for a retune to take into account exhaust system, as well as my supercharger? Or just use the one that comes with it and let it be?

I'm unsure if the effects are worth the effort.

Thanks.
Tyrannax,

Definitely hit our Bama Team up @ 888.226.9764 and talk to them about tune adjustments for your Xcharger. They'll gladly hook you up and take your exhaust and any other mods in consideration when writing the tunes. We've tuned quite a few of these Xcharger's in the past, they make some serious power!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Shane

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, and it's good to be part of the "X-Men", JimC!

So, when I ask to be sent a new tune, is it sent through via the internet? I don't have it on me right now, but I believe there is a port on the tuner. How does receiving a new tune work?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

They send you the new file in an email. Download it to your computer - you need the SCT program "live link" and "updater" installed first so if you haven't done that go to their website. Then connect your tuner to your computer; the port on the tuner is the same as the port on a printer so buy a cheap printer cable to connect your tuner to the computer USB port.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

If you haven't checked the Mustang Collective yet, there are a large number of the X-men there; most of them in fact hang out there and the site has a section for the Xcharger.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Mind if I ask what it's gonna run yah, dollar wise?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, that simple huh? Sounds good. I'll just call in a new tune to compensate for the X-Charger and sell the tuner it comes with. Not sure who wants a tuner programmed for an X-Charger Xtreme, but we'll see. Haha.

Oh and awesome, I'll definitely have to check the place out now that I'm getting one of my own.

Yeah bud, it set me back a good $6,500.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Wow, that simple huh? Sounds good. I'll just call in a new tune to compensate for the X-Charger and sell the tuner it comes with. Not sure who wants a tuner programmed for an X-Charger Xtreme, but we'll see. Haha.

Oh and awesome, I'll definitely have to check the place out now that I'm getting one of my own.

Dayum!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:47 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Whoever buys the tuner will just replace the tunes with their own (they will need to anyway since it has to be a tune for their specific computer code). The important thing will be that it is an unlocked and unmarried tuner that hasn't been used on a car.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannax

There is no way on earth I would trust an email tune from anyone on a forced induction vehicle.
If you go with bama please do several datalogs in different conditions and spend the time to get it right.
To me spending $350-400 for a tune on a dyno is much cheaper than an engine.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

There is no way on earth I would trust an email tune from anyone on a forced induction vehicle.
If you go with bama please do several datalogs in different conditions and spend the time to get it right.
To me spending $350-400 for a tune on a dyno is much cheaper than an engine.
+1
Old 02-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Lots of us successfully run mail order tunes. I had >100,000 miles with no problems on mine. And hundreds of track passes on it too. It is still running strong according to the new owner and he intends to race it this year.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Agreed. ^^^ OP, I can assure you, you're in good hands. Our Bama Team has more than their fair share of custom tuning forced induction cars via email. The Xcharger is one of the more common setups we tune, too!

Also, feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions.

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good guys. I'll most likely just reuse my tuner and sell the one it comes with. I appreciate all the help.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Sounds good guys. I'll most likely just reuse my tuner and sell the one it comes with. I appreciate all the help.
Bama does a good job with data from data logs. I'm sure they'll do a good job of tuning your new setup,
Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Nice. I'm confident they'll do a good job!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang