New to tuners - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
New to tuners

hey guys and gals,

just bought my mustang 3 weeks ago and i'm looking for mods. it already has some work done but i'm not sure what has been done other then some body parts and dual exhaust. I'll post more pictures when it's a little nicer out. Living in Michigan during the winter time with a Mustang isn't all that much fun.. anyways i'm looking for a tuner.. i've seen all the different kinds and i've read all the reviews on their websites but i would like to get some feedback from you.. any help would be great.. thanks..
Bong Toke Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong Toke Bobby View Post
hey guys and gals,

just bought my mustang 3 weeks ago and i'm looking for mods. it already has some work done but i'm not sure what has been done other then some body parts and dual exhaust. I'll post more pictures when it's a little nicer out. Living in Michigan during the winter time with a Mustang isn't all that much fun.. anyways i'm looking for a tuner.. i've seen all the different kinds and i've read all the reviews on their websites but i would like to get some feedback from you.. any help would be great.. thanks..
I like the sct tuner from bama/American muscle. You might to check that out. Is your a v6 and what year is it. Post a pic. Congrats! On your new mustang.
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

it's a v6..2009
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my ride.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	88523  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

That's pretty sick v6 you got. I have a 2013 and I got a tuner from bama and I love it. It chafes the car completely. They will custom make tunes for you for all your mods that you have on your car. I would go this route for sure.
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I don't have massive experience with tuners, but have been reading up on them for the last few weeks and redbeast0712 makes a pretty good recommendation. The SCT and DiabloSport tuners from American Muscle come with tunes for life so if you change anything out, just hit them up, fill out a little survey telling them about the car and they'll send a new custom tune your way for your new mods. I think if I end up getting a tuner, I will be going for the DiabloSport InTune since it allegedly can keep your warranty so long as you flash back to stock before taking it into the dealership, but I don't know how willing I am to risk that. Doubtful it'd be much of an issue on a 2009 though since the warranty is probably over with anyways.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

SCT tuner from AM....AAA+++
Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Hey Bobby, what hood is that?

While it's not to my taste, unless you're running FI, that's a pretty cherry 'Stang you go there Mr.Bong-Toke.

And don't take this as flaming and/or trolling but I just need to know how you could buy a car, with mods done on it, and not know exactly what mods? I only ask because I check out For Sale project cars all the time, and while I'm smart enough to stay away from something someone has monkied around with, I'm always interested in the people who are bold enough to take a shot at buying someone elses modded project.

Again, I'm not trying to spread any hate. I'm just curious.
Mkolabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

i bought the car from a dealership.. someone traded it in. as far as i can tell the only thing done to it is some body work and dual exhaust, Im pretty sure it's the elenor hood.. was hoping you all could help me out with that..along with the front end... i haven't seen one like that on any other mustang. why did i buy it?? it has 30000 miles on it and it was a steal for what i bought it for..someone else paid for all the body mods.. i had to jump on the deal..
Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i bought the car from a dealership.. someone traded it in. as far as i can tell the only thing done to it is some body work and dual exhaust, Im pretty sure it's the elenor hood.. was hoping you all could help me out with that..along with the front end... i haven't seen one like that on any other mustang. why did i buy it?? it has 30000 miles on it and it was a steal for what i bought it for..someone else paid for all the body mods.. i had to jump on the deal..
I hope you had it looked over by an impartial mechanic.

Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty slick looking ride.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

i had a buddy that knows a little about mustang come along with me to take a look.. he told me it was all stock under the hood and just had body work done...so i went with what he said... you got me worried now...lol..trust me i asked the dealer for the original owners number but they would'nt give it to me... i just know that it looks bad *** and runs awesome so i took a chance.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Before I stuck a tune on it, I would make sure no engine mods have been done. I would call the dealership I bought it from and get them to look at it. If you tune it without knowing, some of those tunes might not mix to well and make an inaccurate tune for your car. Nobody wants engine failure. That said, American Muscle is awesome. Everything for both mustangs I have had has came from them. I have the SCT tuner with free BAMA tunes for life. You tell them the mods, they send u the tuner preloaded. You do more mods, they send you tunes by email. The race tune from them in my Shelby is wicked!
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the advice i will have it checked out for sure before i get anything done to it.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Most tuning is done with SCT equipment so I would stick with the SCT. Diablo is second in the aftermarket; nothing wrong with it, but not as common.

Whereabouts in Michigan are you?
JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yikes!

I'd be worried by that; the whole not having it checked out before hand and only having a buddy look at it. However, I'm gonna put some energy out into the universe for you in the hope that you've got yourself one sweet, sick *** deal.

Good luck.

And yeah, best thing to do is get a complete run-down on what's been done.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Don't let that scare you. You are talkin about a day out of life to insure a lifetime of fun. Get it checked and begin to unleash the beast within. No thang like a mustang. Dang, there's another bumper sticker we need made.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Giddyup!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkolabin View Post
Giddyup!
Lol!! We r about make bumper stickers all over this page too! Save a horse, ride in my pony!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

"My pony eats hay... as in, "HAY, GET OUTTA MAH WAY!"
Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Goin goin gone

Or, one that says, U'll never know what it says on the front.

On on the front that reads backwards, u won't be reading this for long. Lol!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

If your underhood is bone stock, like you don't see a supercharger on there, there probably hadn't been all that much done to it. I would take a safe guess to say that given the power of an unboosted v6 even if it is mis tuned it would still run within safe enough parameters not to damage itself

That being said, you could always buy the bama sct tuner, hook it up to your car and a laptop (don't load the tunes), go for a drive to make a datalog and send in the data to bama and have them build a tune from that
Zhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhim View Post
If your underhood is bone stock, like you don't see a supercharger on there, there probably hadn't been all that much done to it. I would take a safe guess to say that given the power of an unboosted v6 even if it is mis tuned it would still run within safe enough parameters not to damage itself

That being said, you could always buy the bama sct tuner, hook it up to your car and a laptop (don't load the tunes), go for a drive to make a datalog and send in the data to bama and have them build a tune from that
Best advice possible.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the advise.I emailed A M and this is what they told me..
Congrats on the new purchase! If the car has been previously tuned, it wont effect anything from our standpoint and we will still be able to make proper adjustments for any modifications you do. If the car has been tuned, and the mods are left on it, sometimes it is not returned to stock settings. So if the tuner didn’t come with a car and the car is tuned, there is no stock file to get from the computer. There are ways of getting it from SCT. But this is mainly a precautionary measure for you incase something goes wrong with a tune or you are taking your car to a dealership to be worked on. Otherwise if it runs fine now, you should be good to go.
If you have any questions about your tunes please feel free to give us a call at 1-888-226-9764.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Just ordered my tuner... Can't wait!!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just ordered my tuner... Can't wait!!!!
installed the tune today and i'm loving it... they weren't kidding when they said it made the automatics shift better... hell yeah it does.. loving it..throttle response is awesome.. and that's only on the 87 tune. just filled the tank with 87 so i am going to try that for a tank of gas and see how that works for me.. then 89 tune and then 93.. can't wait to see the overall difference in all the tunes..
Old 03-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have mine running on 91 race mode, and the throttle response is pretty crazy, definitely better then stock, shifting is WAY faster. try it out bro.
MustacheMustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang