Squealing Noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #1

Region: New York
Squealing Noise

I know this was recently posted but my squealing is slightly different .... At first it would start with the car and idle but once the warmed up it would go away, after a while it would just stay regardless of engine temp and has become louder and alot more obnoxious.

I have been thru every forum on the internet related to the same type of noise but nothing has even slightly muted the squeal.

The noise will increase and decrease with speed, i have pulled and checked the belt and EVERY pulley, none of the pulleys are damaged and they remain quiet as i spin them on my finger, only noticeable thing is that it sounds like it is squealing from the pulley attached to the alternator BUT only when the lettering on the belt passes over that pulley.

But like i said, belt was pulled and checked, the tension is still showing dead center with no slack whatsoever!?

Anyone got any ideas?
KiltedV6Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
power steering pump is known to squeal big time on 99-04 models..a flush and fill of the fluid usually helps. maybe give it a shot on your model

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #3

Region: Louisiana
I just a had a similar problem, turns out the harmonic balancer pulley slipped off the rubber for me so I have to bring it to the shop because the belt won't stay on. I know you said you checked the pulleys, but I'd double check because I thought all of mine were fixed and then the next day the belt pops off on the highway and I need a new pulley.
Nick2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #4

I popped the belt off and checked the belt and then EVERY pulley for wear, damage, how smooth they spin, I honestly dont think its the pulley. The belt hasnt popped or slippef (yet) and the tension is reading fine....realllllyyy annnoooyyyiiinnngggg
Old 02-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Region: Texas
I'm having a squealing on my ride. Mine goes away when my car warms up. I changed my belt & idler pulley & I don't know but I'm thinking about changing my water pump cause I think that's where my squealing is coming from.
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
auto or standard. R u sure it's coming from the engine compartment?
03RedfireGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03RedfireGt View Post
Mines standard. Pretty sure it's under my hood
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. Mine makes a squealing noise to, but mine is the throw out bearing. Sometimes it sounds like its under the hood. Apply a little bit of pressure to your clutch. If it goes away then it could be the throw out.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Quote:
Ok. Mine makes a squealing noise to, but mine is the throw out bearing. Sometimes it sounds like its under the hood. Apply a little bit of pressure to your clutch. If it goes away then it could be the throw out.
It doesn't. My car has 71k clutch & all only has half of that thanks to the previous owner
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Mine is Auto, def coming from the engine compartment, def sounds like its coming from the alternator pulley ONLY when the lettering on the belt passes over that pulley
Old 02-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I did have an 04 v6 that made a squealing noise from under the hood. It turned out that in the front of the water pump there was a little rubber plug. It was missing. A little piece of gravel had gotten down in there an was rubbing the shaft of the water pump. Drove me crazy an took for ever for me to find. Highly unlikely that's what's is wrong with your stangs, just thought I would throw that out there. I changed the idler, an belt on the 04 too, before I figured out what it was. I have learned that sometimes it is best to take it to a pro. Pay them to tell ypu what is wrong then fix it yourself. I have changed alot of unnecessary parts trying to track thing down myself lmao.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #12

Quote:
I did have an 04 v6 that made a squealing noise from under the hood. It turned out that in the front of the water pump there was a little rubber plug. It was missing. A little piece of gravel had gotten down in there an was rubbing the shaft of the water pump. Drove me crazy an took for ever for me to find. Highly unlikely that's what's is wrong with your stangs, just thought I would throw that out there. I changed the idler, an belt on the 04 too, before I figured out what it was. I have learned that sometimes it is best to take it to a pro. Pay them to tell ypu what is wrong then fix it yourself. I have changed alot of unnecessary parts trying to track thing down myself lmao.
Only thing I can do is get a video on my phone and send it to someone to see what they think?
Old 06-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #13

Region: Virginia
I know this is an old thread, but did you figure this out? My '05 GT is doing this now. I took it to 2 garages and they said the trans/clutch are fine. I ask them to check the belts and fluids, too. I'm going to pick it up today and I won't be surprised to hear the squeal if they didn't do anything. From other topics sounds like the problem in my car might be the TOB.
Silkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:08 PM   #14

Region: Ohio
I would have them replace the serpentine belt. mine did this and it was just the belt. and the belt looked new. not worn at all.
Evilwalker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:59 AM   #15

Region: Virginia
Thanks Evilwalker93! I'm convinced that's it.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Silkster is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang