Blown V6. Swap out for V8? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #1

Region: North Carolina
Blown V6. Swap out for V8?

I have blown my 2006 V6 engine. Would it be worth it considering I don't have the money for a new car but have wanted to upgrade to a 4.6L. Would it be worth it and what is the total cost will I be looking at? Thanks!
Tarheel026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel026 View Post
I have blown my 2006 V6 engine. Would it be worth it considering I don't have the money for a new car but have wanted to upgrade to a 4.6L. Would it be worth it and what is the total cost will I be looking at? Thanks!
Ur looking at 10 k + cause u need the drivetrain upgrade to the 8.8 rear end upgrade the brakes an beef up the suspension at least 18" wheels an the labor just to make it fuctional you'd be better of finding another 4.0 you'd be better off buying a gt cause of the cost
Wmcgrattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
if you're already blown then you should be making more then enough power to not want a 4.6.....what's your setup

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #4

Everything is stock and automatic. I blew it up bc it was over heating and I was in the middle of no where so like an idiot I kept pushing it as far as I could get it. Where I live I hear that I can find a V8 for around $1300 and that's from an auto salvage.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
if you're already blown then you should be making more then enough power to not want a 4.6.....what's your setup
He means his motor is blown lol not boosted
Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #6

I don't know too much about cars but I was thinking that it would cost anywhere between $1500-$2,000. I have a friend for the labor that wouldn't charge hardly nothing to install it. It's just the engine and parts that I'm looking at
Old 02-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't know too much about cars but I was thinking that it would cost anywhere between $1500-$2,000. I have a friend for the labor that wouldn't charge hardly nothing to install it. It's just the engine and parts that I'm looking at
2k is cheap for a 4.6 but thats just the motor no tranny an u have to upgrade everything to withstand the weight an power of the 4.6 I looked into it before its alot of work
Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmcgrattan View Post
He means his motor is blown lol not boosted
lol yeah i see that now...hard to read on my phone

well OP in the end it just comes down to if you're willing to spend the money on everything...i'd reccomend finding a donor car

Old 02-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #9

Like something from the junk yard?
Old 02-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

yeah...or look online for a wrecked GT. Finding a donor that's too far gone to fix body wise is a great way to get all you need for a swap...that'll get you the motor, trans, rear, and all supporting upgrades you'll need for it

Old 02-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #11

That's what me and my mechanic were planning on doing. What do u think everything will cost to pull all of that?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You'd be better off just buying a GT cause by the time you spend all the money to get it working it still might have issues that a factory assembled GT won't, just some piece of mind
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
You'd be better off just buying a GT cause by the time you spend all the money to get it working it still might have issues that a factory assembled GT won't, just some piece of mind
Exactly ^^^
Old 02-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
It would e way sweeter to swap an old 5.0 or 5.8 in that and modernize it the swaps not very common but when it's done that's the kind o stuff that journalists look for to put in 5.0 magazine and mustangs and fast fords magazines
StangRick65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangRick65 View Post
It would e way sweeter to swap an old 5.0 or 5.8 in that and modernize it the swaps not very common but when it's done that's the kind o stuff that journalists look for to put in 5.0 magazine and mustangs and fast fords magazines
I'm not sure if I would have enough room to throw something that big In there u less they had to do some cutting
Old 02-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I'd go to moranov6racing and get yourself a 4.3 stroker with block for 4200$ that includes performance cams. Get some ported and polished heads. And put that in. That way you have everything you'll need. You really won't run into problems because its putting the same engine back in. Atleast that's my plan. Mines not blown yet. But I plan on boosting mine this summer.
kirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
A swap isn't going to cost you $10,000. Lots of people have done it. There is a thread at MustangCollective.com that lists everything you need and the steps.

Does that Morana kit use aluminum rods? I know he had something with that. Not good for a daily driver. They stretch and have to be replaced regularly
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

It says everything is forged. Forged I-beam connecting rods.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

And I don't really see the reason to do a V8 swap. Vortex supercharger company put 16psi and racing fuel to make 500 hp on a completley stock block. If you look up bad wolf on YouTube he is running his V6 pony in the 11's runnin last I saw 440hp. It would be cool to have a v8. But it really comes down to is its a lot more weight. And all the extra stuff you would have to do just to say you have a V8.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #20

What's the best turbo to go for the price?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Um $1900 for the on3performance kit. But from what I understand is the turbos are questionable. I'd do the vortex supercharger or pro charger kit. There's a couple other kits out there. But it's still going to be a lot cheaper than doing a v8 swap.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirpy View Post
Um $1900 for the on3performance kit. But from what I understand is the turbos are questionable. I'd do the vortex supercharger or pro charger kit. There's a couple other kits out there. But it's still going to be a lot cheaper than doing a v8 swap.
This is what I'm looking at right now here's the link. What do u think? http://www.stage3motorsports.com/200...rger-Kits.html

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

And i also hear that the bottom end wouldn't last long with either a super charger or a turbo
Old 02-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

[/COLOR]And i also hear that the bottom end wouldn't last long with either a super charger or a turbo
I had a 75 shot of nitrous on my 2006 for two seasons. At 90,000 miles I pulled that off when I installed the Xcharger. I sold the car when I ordered the 2013 and it had 203,000 miles on it and was still making 12 second passes. That was on the stock bottom and top end. A friend had 150,000 miles on his and only blew it when he was doing a road course with less than a 1/4 tank of gas - long sweeping turn and the engine went lean and chipped a piston.

So real world experience says the 4.0 will last with a proper tune and on the stock top and bottom end with a supercharger or turbo (the engine doesn't know how it is boosted - the only difference with the turbo is the back pressure on the exhaust can cause bent valves if you don't change the springs for some stronger ones)
Old 02-28-2013, 05:05 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

And like I posted vortex is running 16psi on there totally stock V6 making 10.8 sec passes. There pretty good engines. And I'm not sure which supercharger your looking at. I'm not a huge fan of the root style. I'd go with the centrifical style.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
And I don't really see the reason to do a V8 swap. Vortex supercharger company put 16psi and racing fuel to make 500 hp on a completley stock block. If you look up bad wolf on YouTube he is running his V6 pony in the 11's runnin last I saw 440hp. It would be cool to have a v8. But it really comes down to is its a lot more weight. And all the extra stuff you would have to do just to say you have a V8.
Except the stock internals won't hold 500horsepower.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

They have tho. It couldn't be DD but if you were making a drag car it would last prob just as long as any other drag engine. I've seen people running 440 on stock internals for a few seasons without a problem.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They have tho. It couldn't be DD but if you were making a drag car it would last prob just as long as any other drag engine. I've seen people running 440 on stock internals for a few seasons without a problem.
I would upgrade anyways just to have peace of mind when ur running it
Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmcgrattan View Post
I would upgrade anyways just to have peace of mind when ur running it
True. But in his case he has to get a new engine anyways. So he should in my mind get a stroker with all forged bottom end. And then he could boost it. They say 30 hp from the stroker. And then do cams and stage 3 heads. With exhaust and even a cold air. He could prob see 300hp. And I think it would be a lot easier than a V8 swap.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

True. But in his case he has to get a new engine anyways. So he should in my mind get a stroker with all forged bottom end. And then he could boost it. They say 30 hp from the stroker. And then do cams and stage 3 heads. With exhaust and even a cold air. He could prob see 300hp. And I think it would be a lot easier than a V8 swap.
Same here alot easier then a v8 swap
Old 03-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #30

Quote:

What's the cost of all this?
Old 03-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

4,550 for the honed block and stroker kit. Extra 700 for performance cams. Anywhere from 700 to 2200 for performance heads. With those parts and a different exhaust your going to see the same hp as the supercharger or the V8 you want to swap. And everything should hold up for awhile then. But if you gna do a V8 your looking for atleast 2500 just in rear end parts. Prob 500 in just shocks to handle the weight. You would also have to get all the parts to do the brakes. So call it another 500. And you still need to get an engine and transimission. And all the components to run it.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
4,550 for the honed block and stroker kit. Extra 700 for performance cams. Anywhere from 700 to 2200 for performance heads. With those parts and a different exhaust your going to see the same hp as the supercharger or the V8 you want to swap. And everything should hold up for awhile then. But if you gna do a V8 your looking for atleast 2500 just in rear end parts. Prob 500 in just shocks to handle the weight. You would also have to get all the parts to do the brakes. So call it another 500. And you still need to get an engine and transimission. And all the components to run it.
^^^^ exactly
Old 03-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
But if you gna do a V8 your looking for at least 2500 just in rear end parts.

Prob 500 in just shocks to handle the weight.

You would also have to get all the parts to do the brakes. So call it another 500.
Where are you pulling these estimates from?

I can get you an 8.8 rear end delivered to your door for a LOT less than you quoted. Tell me where you live and I can go on car-part.com and find one near you for well under $1,000, probably closer to $700 for a low mileage unit.

And if the OP is going to do all of the engine work that you are suggesting, and can achieve the power levels that you think he will, then he is going to need that 8.8 anyway. A 7.5, with open differential, will not let him get the power to the ground and will not last long.

He MAY need new front springs for the added weight of the V8, but that isn't going to be anywhere near $500. The shocks will be fine. But even if he replaced the front struts and springs, a set of take off shocks, struts and springs from a GT can be readily found on the forums; people change those out regularly and have them sitting in their garages taking up space. Or go to CDC and get a Ford Racing Handling Pack with struts, shocks, lowering springs, and you are only looking at $325.

Brakes $500? There are GT guys who swap to the V6 brakes already because of the smaller rotor and have no problems. But even then, the rear brakes are exactly the same so no change there. You can find new take off front brakes for about $100. All you need is the GT bracket for the caliper because that is the same, and the new rotors.

And if he needs new brakes, and a new rear end for the V8 - and can achieve the power levels you think with the build you suggest, then he needs those parts anyway.

People who have done the V8 swap by the way - check on mustangcollective.com - haven't spent anywhere near what you think it will cost.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not going with used prices. I'm going with new parts. Why would you put used shocks and struts in your car. And I wouldn't keep the stock brakes in the front if your adding all the extra weight. Your not comparing apples to apples. And the stock rear end will handle 300 hp. And at the most a brand "new" LSD is 550.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

The 7.5 will not handle 300 RWHP for long - many have blown up on a lot less. All it took was a tune and set of drag radials to blow up the 7.5 that I tried to build (tlok, Richmond racing gears, girdle and studs). A tlok for the 7.5 is difficult to find today - Ford stopped producing them because it makes more sense to anyone modding to swap rear ends. It is actually cheaper to buy a new take off than it is to try to build the 7.5 to handle the extra power you are throwing at it with a build.

And buying all new parts makes no sense when you can get new take off parts - which most people use successfully. You can get the rear end from Roush, the front brakes from Roush, shocks springs and struts, all off cars that they have upgraded.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang