My X-Charger-A Dud? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My X-Charger-A Dud?

I have a problem. A mechanic I know recently installed my X-Charger and Inter-cooler into my 05 v6 Mustang. At first, it attempted to start, but failed. I guess he somehow got it working after about an hour. Anyway, we went to test it out and no more than 10 minutes later and after just a slight test of the charger's strength, we ended up on the side of the road broken down. When it was working, you could a hear a constant "tap-tap-tap" - needless to say it didn't sound right.

We towed it back to the house and he looked at it more closely to see what the issue was. When he removed the spark plugs, 2 had been smashed down and some were coated in aluminum residue. (The spark plugs are less than a day old) He managed to get it working, but the "tap-tap-tap" is still prevalent and he has told me it's not fit to drive as it will most certainly break down if it's driven even a short distance.

All in all, he has no idea what the problem is. He thinks it has something to do with the supercharger itself- that is, he believes it's a dud more or less.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Any help is appreciated.

Ford Racing CIA, X-Pipe, GT500 Takeoffs, Bama Tuned, X-Charger and Intercooler.
Tyrannax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Holy Crap! Sounds like he dropped something into the intake ports when he had the manifold off. You need a new mechanic to check that out.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
If you have smashed plugs then it isn't the supercharger. Your plugs are hitting the piston top - probably the tapping you hear.

What plugs are you using? What tune also?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
+ 1 on the ply size
Cornkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
you have a tune or just installed it and hoped for the best? not tuning it = disaster as well
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It's been tuned with the provided tuner that came with it.

Could it be bent valves?

Old 03-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Sounds to me like your engine is toast. The only way spark plugs get smashed is contact with the piston...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Tyrannax - what plugs are you running? Is it the autolite 5143 or the NGK TR6 or did you use something else? Bent valves won't cause the piston to hit the plug.

Smashed plugs have nothing to do with the blower - something caused the piston and spark plug to meet. So if you changed to a different plug it may have a longer reach.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The autolite 5143 - the one's X-Charger sent us.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

The autolite shouldn't have too long a reach then.

Which leads back to the question of whether the mechanic dropped something in the intake port. Have you done any other modification to the engine?

The next step will be to use a scope to look in and see what the damage is to the piston. Maybe you chipped a piston? What is the AFR on the tune that you loaded, was it running lean? What tune did you load, and did you have the correct octane in the tank for that tune?
Old 03-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The autolite shouldn't have too long a reach then.

Which leads back to the question of whether the mechanic dropped something in the intake port. Have you done any other modification to the engine?

The next step will be to use a scope to look in and see what the damage is to the piston. Maybe you chipped a piston? What is the AFR on the tune that you loaded, was it running lean? What tune did you load, and did you have the correct octane in the tank for that tune?
That's my guess is that you cracked a piston and those bits were hitting
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Damn the sucks ! I feel like that guys not a real mechanic lol
Wmcgrattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have it at a shop now and they're gonna do a compression test on it tomorrow. The mechanic thinks it might be shards of the valves that came off as they scraped against their ports - which is what I originally thought as well. They believe the valves bent because of the stress brought about by the supercharger. Anyway, we'll find out the issue I guess.

As far as the tuner, what's an AFR? Admittedly, when it started up it was tuned for 93 octane rather than the 89 it had in it at the time. It was my fault as I forgot I had added 89 octane rather than 93 octane as a means to save a bit of mula. In fact, I believe it's the first time that car has ever had anything below 93 since I've had it. Regardless, it was only running on that tune for 30 seconds.

Other than that, the engine has not been modded. A simple CAI and tune is all that has ever affected the performance of the car.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannax View Post
I have it at a shop now and they're gonna do a compression test on it tomorrow. The mechanic thinks it might be shards of the valves that came off as they scraped against their ports - which is what I originally thought as well. They believe the valves bent because of the stress brought about by the supercharger. Anyway, we'll find out the issue I guess.
Valves won't bend because of the supercharger. Lots of boosted V6's, and high mileage ones at that. The only time you bend a valve with boost is when you are revving so high that it overpowers the springs and the valve can't retract quick enough before the piston comes up and hits.

Quote:
As far as the tuner, what's an AFR?
AFR= Air Fuel Ratio. You really should be running a wide band AFR gauge if you are running boost so you can make sure you are not running lean (anything more than 13.0) when at wide open throttle (WOT).

Quote:
Admittedly, when it started up it was tuned for 93 octane rather than the 89 it had in it at the time. It was my fault as I forgot I had added 89 octane rather than 93 octane as a means to save a bit of mula. In fact, I believe it's the first time that car has ever had anything below 93 since I've had it. Regardless, it was only running on that tune for 30 seconds.
There is the probably cause of your engine problems. You can't run a boosted car on low octane, and you can't run on your 93 octane tune with 89 octane. You probably broke a piston because of detonation from the low octane. This is almost as bad as trying to run a boosted engine on the stock tune itself. The timing advance is all wrong for what you have in the tank.

The problem you now have has nothing to do with a bad Xcharger assembly. It is an operator error situation.

When you say it was only running on the 93 octane tune for 30 seconds, that doesn't seem to fit with your earlier posting that you took it for a drive. What tune were you trying to drive on then? If it was the stock tune because you had 89 octane in the tank then you added more troubles to the mix.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I have a problem. A mechanic I know recently installed my X-Charger and Inter-cooler into my 05 v6 Mustang. At first, it attempted to start, but failed. I guess he somehow got it working after about an hour. Anyway, we went to test it out and no more than 10 minutes later and after just a slight test of the charger's strength, we ended up on the side of the road broken down. When it was working, you could a hear a constant "tap-tap-tap" - needless to say it didn't sound right.

We towed it back to the house and he looked at it more closely to see what the issue was. When he removed the spark plugs, 2 had been smashed down and some were coated in aluminum residue. (The spark plugs are less than a day old) He managed to get it working, but the "tap-tap-tap" is still prevalent and he has told me it's not fit to drive as it will most certainly break down if it's driven even a short distance..
With the additional information you gave (running 89 octane) your mechanic should have recognized that sound as detonation.

Then, since you said you only started it up and let it run for less than a minute on the 93 octane tune....I have to assume you put the stock tune on the car and took it for a drive. You made your problem worse driving on wrong octane and wrong tune.

Trying to save money with lower octane gas you have now cost yourself an engine. My bet is that detonation from wrong octane, compounded by wrong tune, you broke the top off a couple of pistons. What you are hearing now and caused your car to quit is pieces of piston in the cylinder - which also are what caused the smashed plugs.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, I completely forgot it had the wrong octane- A mistake I'll pay for.

I'm not going to pretend as though I'm an expert whatsoever, but to my knowledge broken pistons would leave the car lifeless. It still drives.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

What usually happens is that the top ring land breaks off - the car will still run, not well, but can start. The chunks will be flying around though and gouging up the cylinder walls - and hitting the valves, head, and spark plug. Get a scope and look in the cylinder through the spark plug hole, especially the one where you had smashed plugs. I bet you see a piece missing off the top of the piston.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I think they're checking that out, but I'll let you know what they find.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang