synthetic oil. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: California
Posts: 610
synthetic oil.

It won't affect the warranty if I change to synthetic oil right?
Andy714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Wmcgrattan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy714 View Post
It won't affect the warranty if I change to synthetic oil right?
No
Wmcgrattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Billymich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 861
You can also switch back to regular at any time, but a lot of ppl will tell you either not too, or to switch only to partial synthetic blends.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,171
Nope, as long as you're using the recommended oil specifications (ex. 5w30). Also, the only time switching back and forth between synthetic and conventional shows to be an issue, is on high mileage cars.

Most synthetic blends have high amounts of detergents in them, which will break apart any "gunk" that's built up in the engines creases. So, a high mileage car is more likely to have "gunk" built up between gaskets, which is actually preventing a potential oil leak, assuming the gasket is on it's last end. When the synthetic oil is used, the detergent will break apart the "gunk" and open up a leak, if the gasket can't hold!

Just a little tech info for ya!

Shane
__________________
Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: California
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
Nope, as long as you're using the recommended oil specifications (ex. 5w30). Also, the only time switching back and forth between synthetic and conventional shows to be an issue, is on high mileage cars.

Most synthetic blends have high amounts of detergents in them, which will break apart any "gunk" that's built up in the engines creases. So, a high mileage car is more likely to have "gunk" built up between gaskets, which is actually preventing a potential oil leak, assuming the gasket is on it's last end. When the synthetic oil is used, the detergent will break apart the "gunk" and open up a leak, if the gasket can't hold!

Just a little tech info for ya!

Shane
So synthetic is more likely to cause leaks than conventional?
Andy714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Wmcgrattan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy714 View Post

So synthetic is more likely to cause leaks than conventional?
No it only causes leaks if you use synthetic an switch back in forth with regular oil cause it will **** your gaskets up but id recommend picking synthetic an sticking with it
Wmcgrattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
08Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmcgrattan View Post

No it only causes leaks if you use synthetic an switch back in forth with regular oil cause it will **** your gaskets up but id recommend picking synthetic an sticking with it
Yeah I've done synthetic since the first change on my 08 when I got it and that was about 15k miles ago
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy714 View Post
So synthetic is more likely to cause leaks than conventional?
No, I'm simply stating that switching back and forth could cause a weak spot in your gaskets. If you stick with synthetic full time and are always prompt on your oil changes, there will be no extra slug to begin with.

Hope this clears things up!

Shane
__________________
Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:06 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bladezx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 389
So I've been using regular oil on my 12 the whole time and it's at 41k so would it be good or bad to change to synthetic? I was thinking about switching to amsoil.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
08Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post
So I've been using regular oil on my 12 the whole time and it's at 41k so would it be good or bad to change to synthetic? I was thinking about switching to amsoil.
It's not gona hurt anything to switch, only beneficial
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Shelby
Region: Michigan
Posts: 31
No
Bakiebruno5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:04 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.