Roll bar question?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Roll bar question??

I'm in Vegas and got an 05 V6 convertible. I have found the stylin bar no problem on a few sites. My question is... Is the a company that makes a true functioning roll bar for the 05 convertible. Not looking for a roll cage but something very similar to the styling bar. If I'm going to install a roll bar, I want a true roll bar. Thank for your suggestion.
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
I had one custom fabricated. When I get home tonight I can post pictures. My guy will do them for others.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I figured I would have to get one fabricated. Appreciate the picture you'll put up. The stang look way to dull without it. And I want the true protection. I got a 4yr old and safety is a must in a convertible. Thanks though for the reply. Looking forward to the picture. Are you and your fab guy in the Vegas area? If not, what type of shop would I go to, to make sure it's done correct and has a good look to it also.
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I'm sure maximum motorsports or someone similar makes one. I wouldn't suggest it for a street car though, more dangerous than helpful.

You are looking for a 4 point cage btw, will render most of the rear seat useless.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I'm sure maximum motorsports or someone similar makes one. I wouldn't suggest it for a street car though, more dangerous than helpful.

You are looking for a 4 point cage btw, will render most of the rear seat useless.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok so basically a fab shop on the street car side of experience. And the description I would use is a 4 point cage... Now that cage is basically fixed to the frame behind and/or the sides of the rear seat and again to the chassis about right behind the front seat if I'm not mistaken??? I mean I'm not going to be drifting or nothing... But i do have my fun, But I also don't want my head splattered. Looks and style is not a big must for me, but I do want it to look clean and original. If you could dont forget to upload your pictures. I'm really interested.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
To be worth anything it should attach to subframe connectors just behind the front seats (well actually beside them) with the main hoop. From the hoop you should have two bars going on either side of the rear tying into the rear frame.

Your weakpoint is still the windshield which will fold like cardboard in case of a roll over. Just remember your head vs metal bar the bar always wins.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
To be worth anything it should attach to subframe connectors just behind the front seats (well actually beside them) with the main hoop. From the hoop you should have two bars going on either side of the rear tying into the rear frame.

Your weakpoint is still the windshield which will fold like cardboard in case of a roll over. Just remember your head vs metal bar the bar always wins.
No I feel what your saying. I saw a picture on maximum Motorsport of the roll bar you were talking about. I actually was seeing that in my head. Is there away to strengthen the windshield with out turning the car into a cage?? This is my first sports car. I've always had trucks. Now I have a mustang with endless options as I'm seeing searching the net. Thank for the wisdom. You have any ideas or tips for where I should start as for as upgrades(suspension, engine, Ect.). I've done some exterior mods to get my stang my style, But I'm a speed demon and like my vehicles to stay put where I take it with clean power and control. Any suggestions.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
The windshield will be a weak point, but I don't think it will "fold like cardboard". The Mustang convertible has a very high rating for crash and roll over.

But you will lose pretty much any back seat usefulness - the back bars will be very close to the head of any back seat passenger. While you can pad the bars, it will be a hard surface still.

This is my roll bar (well it was in my 2006, and will be modified for the 2013 to fit with the CDC light bar now). For drag racing I had to use a 6 point cage, with harness bar. So there are two swing out door bars. If you aren't tracking the car then you can get by with the 4 point.

You can get a sense of how close the back bars are to the heads of any passenger back there

The fabricator did a different set up for a friend, and his back bars are a little further out. It required cutting up the top of the "sill" on each side so that the main hoop bars could go inside that area, but allowed him to move the back bars out some:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I like that. Not to worried about back passengers somewhat. They all mark up my seats....and destroy something somehow. I like the door bars to and how the remove. I had another suggestion to maximum Motorsport. And they have a nice roll bar that is completely out of the way from the pictures at lease, you can also get the side bars with the set up. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...ars_rb_photos6
And this the set up install http://www.maximummotorsports.com/co...Mm5RB-22_1.pdf
Thank for the info tho. Just signed up and am getting great feed back. Thank you

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang