Suspension Questions, Help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Suspension Questions, Help!

Edit: disregard this first post, I'll be updating it with a better build list later.

---

I know very little about suspension/handling, help me decide what to get! Also let me know if I'm leaving any necessary parts out please.

Strut Tower Brace
I don't know how to determine a 'good' strut tower brace, they all look the same. I'm currently looking at:
Ford Racing Strut Tower Brace ($220)
Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace ($180)

Lowering Springs
I want to drop my car to lose the wheel-gaps, but mostly for performance. My Mustang is my DD as well, so I don't want a super-low car. I'm currently looking at:
Ford Racing Mustang N-Springs ($200)
Steeda Sport Mustang Lowering Springs ($275)

I also hear you need these items with lowering your Mustang as well:

Eibach Pro-Alignment Camber Adjustment Bolts ($25)
Ford Racing GT500 Style Strut Mount Upgrade ($110)
Lastly, something about a 'panhard' bar?

Suspension
This is where I really don't know what I'm doing, but have this in mind:
Eibach Anti-Roll Sway Bar Kit ($335)
Rice Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Look into some control arms as well and see if thats a route you want to take.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Istarted with eibach prokit springs. Then I put in tokico shocks n struts with eibach sway bars. Didn't need anything else and mine is also a daily driver. Read this so you know what all the different suspension parts do. http://www.americanmuscle.com/suspen...ide-part1.html
good luck
toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The eibach camber bolts are good for 1.5" drops. But anything over that you'll need new caster camber plates. And upgrade brakes too. If you like to mob through the canyons(safely of course) in Malibu like I do, brakes are heavenly.
Bschmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
On American muscle they have a lowering kit that drops the stang 1.5" it comes with springs, struts, anti roll bars. You should also get the camber plates for correct alignment when your all finished. Run you about $200 for the plates. 850-950 for the kit. A rear control arm kit would be a good add to while your car is disassembled. I also added a strut brace.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach...em-0510v6.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/2005-c...er-plates.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-...race-2005.html
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
As a daily driver and that's it the lowering kit and camber plater will do. For extra support though the rest is a good idea. This is my exact set up I'm saving up to get all at once. Good luck
Old 05-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks a ton to everyone who left some feedback, I've been doing extensive research on the subject and have learned a lot, I also have found it a very interesting learn as well.

I'll report back when I come up with a new and improved build list, now that I know what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bschmidty View Post
The eibach camber bolts are good for 1.5" drops. But anything over that you'll need new caster camber plates. And upgrade brakes too. If you like to mob through the canyons(safely of course) in Malibu like I do, brakes are heavenly.
I think I'll hold off with my brakes for now. I don't intend for any track time anytime soon, and I live in a big city and the country roads I'll cruise on are pretty much straight-aways.

Edit: found another thread which I'll leave here for myself and others' easy access.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...on-sticky.html
Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Destination S19
What do you plan on doing with the car? Give me a little more information on how you plan to drive it, what kind of performance driving you'll want to do and I can put together a list of parts for you.

FRPP HotRods Cams / American Racing Headers Long Tubes with catted X / Stang-Hi dyno tune
Saleen wheels / Steeda CAI / Corsa Xtremes, K Springs, Koni STR.Ts, UMI lca relo. Brackets/r lwr ctrl arms UMI adj. panhard bar / Camber plates / SR Strut Tower Brace.
Destination S19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination S19 View Post
What do you plan on doing with the car? Give me a little more information on how you plan to drive it, what kind of performance driving you'll want to do and I can put together a list of parts for you.
Perfect.

Things to note: this is my daily driver (mostly city streets and interstate). I do like to have fun in this car occasionally. I currently have 18x9 rims. I have the GT front fascia with CDC spoiler which is quite low already and don't want to gash it up. Bolt-ons are preferred, but I'm openminded to any info.

As for plans: no track plans at the moment. Leaning towards a 1.0"/1.25" drop, no more than 1.5". I want to eliminate body roll, wheel gaps (any decrease will satisfy me), and stiffen the overall feel. I wish to keep the ride quality the same, if not better (current ride quality is somewhat rough).

Lastly, I will be adding a CAI and tune in the future (don't forget this is a V6, also doesn't come with a rear sway bar).

I tried to be brief but informational as much as I could. Let me know if you need to know anything else. Your time is appreciated.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Just something to think about is do you go places with speed bumps very often? It's a pain going over some of them. The car bottoms out. Our mustangs are awesome looking lowered and handle great lowered but there's the stupid speed bumps. It seems like where I live every place I go has speed bumps. So I just did the hd sway bar front and rear with a strut tower brace and my car handled great. Just something to think about.
kf4myo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4myo View Post
Just something to think about is do you go places with speed bumps very often? It's a pain going over some of them. The car bottoms out. Our mustangs are awesome looking lowered and handle great lowered but there's the stupid speed bumps. It seems like where I live every place I go has speed bumps. So I just did the hd sway bar front and rear with a strut tower brace and my car handled great. Just something to think about.
Yes, I've thought about speed bumps. None in my daily routes though.

I'm very attentive to the roads and always try to avoid bumps and potholes.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Eater View Post
Perfect.

Things to note: this is my daily driver (mostly city streets and interstate). I do like to have fun in this car occasionally. I currently have 18x9 rims. I have the GT front fascia with CDC spoiler which is quite low already and don't want to gash it up. Bolt-ons are preferred, but I'm openminded to any info.

As for plans: no track plans at the moment. Leaning towards a 1.0"/1.25" drop, no more than 1.5". I want to eliminate body roll, wheel gaps (any decrease will satisfy me), and stiffen the overall feel. I wish to keep the ride quality the same, if not better (current ride quality is somewhat rough).

Lastly, I will be adding a CAI and tune in the future (don't forget this is a V6, also doesn't come with a rear sway bar).

I tried to be brief but informational as much as I could. Let me know if you need to know anything else. Your time is appreciated.
If you want, you could find a used rear sway bar from an 05-09 GT and bolt it up, that would help.

If you're worried about the drop, you can get the FRPP 'P' Springs which drop the car 1" front and rear. The N springs do it 1.25 and K springs 1.5 (I have K springs).

A good starter shock/strut would be the Koni STR.T (orange) but if you want some adjust-ability to make your own ride quality (between stiff or soft), go for the Koni Sports (Yellow)

For camber plates, the J&M ones are good and inexpensive.

The steel J&M adjustable panhard bar is good as well, or the Steeda single adjustable bar is great too.

The budget lowering (that I used) would be J&M camber plates, your choice of the P, N, or K springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, and the J&M adjustable panhard bar. If you plan on visiting the drag strip from time to time, a set of bolt on relocation brackets for the lower control arms would be worth it. The weld in ones aren't required until you get to the 1.7 60ft time, which a 210hp S197 can't do stock.

FRPP HotRods Cams / American Racing Headers Long Tubes with catted X / Stang-Hi dyno tune
Saleen wheels / Steeda CAI / Corsa Xtremes, K Springs, Koni STR.Ts, UMI lca relo. Brackets/r lwr ctrl arms UMI adj. panhard bar / Camber plates / SR Strut Tower Brace.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you want, you could find a used rear sway bar from an 05-09 GT and bolt it up, that would help.

If you're worried about the drop, you can get the FRPP 'P' Springs which drop the car 1" front and rear. The N springs do it 1.25 and K springs 1.5 (I have K springs).

A good starter shock/strut would be the Koni STR.T (orange) but if you want some adjust-ability to make your own ride quality (between stiff or soft), go for the Koni Sports (Yellow)

For camber plates, the J&M ones are good and inexpensive.

The steel J&M adjustable panhard bar is good as well, or the Steeda single adjustable bar is great too.

The budget lowering (that I used) would be J&M camber plates, your choice of the P, N, or K springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, and the J&M adjustable panhard bar. If you plan on visiting the drag strip from time to time, a set of bolt on relocation brackets for the lower control arms would be worth it. The weld in ones aren't required until you get to the 1.7 60ft time, which a 210hp S197 can't do stock.
Excellent information and response time dood, I greatly appreciate it. I didn't know the FRPP P Springs existed, I'll check those out. I'm going to look into the Koni products you suggested as well.

On top of all of that looks like I'll throw in a SR strut tower brace too while everything is apart and in-need of alignment.

Two last questions for now:
1) If I purchased the J&M camber plates, do I/should I purchase the J&M camber adjustment bolts as well?

2) Out of pure curiosity, can the GT500 strut mount upgrade product (linked below) be an alternative to the J&M camber plates? From my understanding, the J&M's are camber-adjustable strut mounts while the GT500's are just a strut mount upgrade over stock...

Ford Racing GT500 Style Strut Mount Upgrade
Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Excellent information and response time dood, I greatly appreciate it. I didn't know the FRPP P Springs existed, I'll check those out. I'm going to look into the Koni products you suggested as well.

On top of all of that looks like I'll throw in a SR strut tower brace too while everything is apart and in-need of alignment.

Two last questions for now:
1) If I purchased the J&M camber plates, do I/should I purchase the J&M camber adjustment bolts as well?

2) Out of pure curiosity, can the GT500 strut mount upgrade product (linked below) be an alternative to the J&M camber plates? From my understanding, the J&M's are camber-adjustable strut mounts while the GT500's are just a strut mount upgrade over stock...

Ford Racing GT500 Style Strut Mount Upgrade
1) If you get the camber plates, the bolts are not needed, and if you get the bolts, the camber plates aren't really suggested BUT, the bolts are more susceptible to being knocked out of alignment by bumps and potholes than camber plates are.

2) You can use the GT500 plates given that your car is good enough inside spec to get into alignment without needing camber plates. I believe for the most part that if you go to 1.25 or 1.5" on the drop, camber plates or at the very least, bolts, become needed to reduce negative camber tire wear. The J&M camber plates are note a requirement for lowering, but possibly for getting your alignment back into a factory spec.

Also, just an FYI, the factory strut mounts and the GT500 mounts are one time use. Some people reuse them but they can make loud poping sounds as the bearings are worn out or lost. The adjustable camber plates from J&M, Steeda, and other companies are reusable.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
1) If you get the camber plates, the bolts are not needed, and if you get the bolts, the camber plates aren't really suggested BUT, the bolts are more susceptible to being knocked out of alignment by bumps and potholes than camber plates are.

2) You can use the GT500 plates given that your car is good enough inside spec to get into alignment without needing camber plates. I believe for the most part that if you go to 1.25 or 1.5" on the drop, camber plates or at the very least, bolts, become needed to reduce negative camber tire wear. The J&M camber plates are note a requirement for lowering, but possibly for getting your alignment back into a factory spec.

Also, just an FYI, the factory strut mounts and the GT500 mounts are one time use. Some people reuse them but they can make loud poping sounds as the bearings are worn out or lost. The adjustable camber plates from J&M, Steeda, and other companies are reusable.
Awesome, that bit of information was the last touch I think I needed to make everything come together for me. J&M camber plates it is.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Awesome, that bit of information was the last touch I think I needed to make everything come together for me. J&M camber plates it is.
Koni Shocks/Struts (FYI) If you go with Sports, they're a pain to get a hold of.

Koni STR.T

Koni STR.T Street Strut

Koni Sports

Koni Sport

The FRPP P Springs.

Ford Racing Mustang P-Springs (05-14 GT) M-5300-P - Free Shipping!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Koni Shocks/Struts (FYI) If you go with Sports, they're a pain to get a hold of.

Koni STR.T

Koni STR.T Street Strut

Koni Sports

Koni Sport

The FRPP P Springs.

Ford Racing Mustang P-Springs (05-14 GT) M-5300-P - Free Shipping!
Very nice. Hopefully others can find this thread useful as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang