Shifter Making Grinding Sounds in Gear - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Shifter Making Grinding Sounds in Gear

Me and my step-dad recently replaced the clutch in my 2005 V6. After we have gotten it together and drove it around it started making a grinding sound, it started in fourth gear but now it also does it in third. We have found out it was the shifter itself but what can fix that sound? I need to know, thanks in advance.
BoLtThEhUsKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
New shifter. Might as well upgrade if that's the problem. Don't want problems down the road.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I just installed a MGW short throw shifter made for my 2005 V6 and all worked great for the first few thousand miles but since then grinding sounds have been getting worse. Not sure if the shifter is the cause or the clutch. The sound occurs even when not in gear and coasting. Will hear when clutch is depressed or not. Any help? Have 76k miles with original clutch.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
tjpfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Hey guys I'm going to jump on board with all of you, I have the SAME exact problem. The grinding sound starts in fourth and is present in third. I have the Ford Racing/Hurst short throw shifter in mine (the one designed for the V6's T5) and it has been getting louder and worse. I haven't put anymore than 500 miles on my short throw and have the original clutch with 75,000 miles on the car. My dad thinks he could know the problem behind it but has encouraged me to see if others have had the same problem and try to go from there. I'm so happy to see this thread, b/c I have been trying to figure out what is wrong for a while now.

2007 V6 Mustang (manual), Hurst/FR short throw, MAC dual exhaust, custom H-pipe, chin spoiler, GT front bumper, billet aluminum grill, GT500 rear bumper, GT500 wing, FR windshield banner, FR strut tower brace, LED interior lights, sequential taillights, FR side markers, slotted and drilled brakes, 93 Cobra teal painted (and cleared) stripes, etc.
Aventador97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpfab View Post
I just installed a MGW short throw shifter made for my 2005 V6 and all worked great for the first few thousand miles but since then grinding sounds have been getting worse. Not sure if the shifter is the cause or the clutch. The sound occurs even when not in gear and coasting. Will hear when clutch is depressed or not. Any help? Have 76k miles with original clutch.

I also get the sound in neutral where it makes sounds that none of my parents other stock shift cars make.

2007 V6 Mustang (manual), Hurst/FR short throw, MAC dual exhaust, custom H-pipe, chin spoiler, GT front bumper, billet aluminum grill, GT500 rear bumper, GT500 wing, FR windshield banner, FR strut tower brace, LED interior lights, sequential taillights, FR side markers, slotted and drilled brakes, 93 Cobra teal painted (and cleared) stripes, etc.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Tell your Dad to give it up because I am probably his age (or older!) And I'm not sure I have the patience to figure it out!

tjpfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpfab View Post
Tell your Dad to give it up because I am probably his age (or older!) And I'm not sure I have the patience to figure it out!

Hahaha ya, it makes me mad as well. He is very mechanical, flys for UPS and works on our planes just because he enjoys it. I figure it is more of a challenge to him.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang