Recommendations for my new V6... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Just bought a 09' V6... Wondering what performance route I should take. Some options I've considered are:

Cold air intake, dual exhaust, cams, NOS, boring/honing, bama tuner, 70mm throttle body, intake spacer, and coil pack w/ wires upgrade. (Not really in any order)

Or, I've been considering just saving to get the 5.0 coyote, but I'm not sure how much other stuff besides the motor I would need to make the swap. Such as whether the 5-speed in the v6 would bolt to it, wiring, computer, etc... Any thoughts on this...

I'd be willing to spend up to $10,000 for a motor swap. Otherwise, I'd only want to spend $2,000-$3,000 to upgrade the v6, and trade it in after a few years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130529_133106.png
Views:	183
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	110988
RemiZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Nice mod list.

I say start exhaust, then cai/tuner
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
To do a motor swap is much more than just engine & trans. You'll need a new stronger axle, computer & more. I'd save up and just buy a used 5.0. I was thinking the same but I like being debt free no month payments.
Cali_JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I think the $2,000-3,000 mod route would be not only cheaper but a lot of fun, believe it or not our V6's do have potential in them. I wouldn't recommend the motor swap, just because the multitude of modifications to do it correctly. It'll never be or beat a 5.0 though.

Ride that '09 pony out for the next 3-5 years or so then purchase a shiny new one from Ford or find a 2011+ one with low miles (that's what I'd like to do at least).

Very clean and classy '09 you got there, one of my favorite years.
Rice Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Eater View Post
I think the $2,000-3,000 mod route would be not only cheaper but a lot of fun, believe it or not our V6's do have potential in them. I wouldn't recommend the motor swap, just because the multitude of modifications to do it correctly. It'll never be or beat a 5.0 though.

Ride that '09 pony out for the next 3-5 years or so then purchase a shiny new one from Ford or find a 2011+ one with low miles (that's what I'd like to do at least).

Very clean and classy '09 you got there, one of my favorite years.
You could come close with the right set up! But that requires so much more money obviously am is out of question. But I think building up your v6 as far as it can go will not only be fun, but will also give you a lot of satisfaction beating older GT's and possibly 5.0's.. I know that's what I'm doin
Bschmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you guys for the advice. So, with a V8 off the table, it looks like I'm going into Chet Wilson's garage tonight to see about a bore and hone I'll post my project in the appropriate thread when I get started
Old 05-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Nice car Remi, I just bought my '09 V6 two weeks ago. My first project will definitely be the dual exhaust. Was looking at the Pypes setups but not sure what's the best upgrade for my v6.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona View Post
Nice car Remi, I just bought my '09 V6 two weeks ago. My first project will definitely be the dual exhaust. Was looking at the Pypes setups but not sure what's the best upgrade for my v6.
Thanks I love the panoramic roof on it. ...As far as the most bank for the buck, a tuner is probably the first mod I'll do. Its an instant 15-20hp. Plus, any other mod you add is going to need the tuner to get the most out of it anyway. Fortunately, mine has every option on it. (Shaker 500, power everything, ext) Plus its had the side scoops, hood scoop, grill, and spoiler already added. And this one came stock with 18" chrome wheels. So, I can wait a while before adding appearence stuff to it. Which is nice.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona View Post
I'm goin with BBK x pipe and flowmaster outlaw axle backs. Sounds great. Don't get pypes, they hang a little lower
Old 05-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bschmidty View Post

I'm goin with BBK x pipe and flowmaster outlaw axle backs. Sounds great. Don't get pypes, they hang a little lower
Put a video when you get it installed
1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 View Post

Put a video when you get it installed
Should be a few weeks. But I will. I'll start a new thread
Old 06-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Go with the Tokico adjustable struts, some decent sport springs and some swaybars to get it to handle better(youll need caster bolts or plates to go with it)...slap some decent rubber on to aftermarket staggered wheels...open up the exhaust and intake, rip out an 8.8 from a newer model (make sure its got 3.73s in it and get it cheap from a junkyard), get some upper and lower control arms (rear upper must be adjustable and you should get it before you get a new driveshaft otherwise you cant adjust the pinion angle and youll cause damage) and get a new driveshaft...dont forget the tuner either! And if you really want you can throw on a supercharger but you should wait til the 1 piece driveshaft to put one on. Then you can head to supersix motorsports and get some internals! (Or get internals and supercharger at the same time). THEN work on exterior stuff . Thats how my list is going, bit of a different order but Im not getting any power adders until i get rear end and driveshaft and probably internals as well.
crackhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhutch View Post
Go with the Tokico adjustable struts, some decent sport springs and some swaybars to get it to handle better(youll need caster bolts or plates to go with it)...slap some decent rubber on to aftermarket staggered wheels...open up the exhaust and intake, rip out an 8.8 from a newer model (make sure its got 3.73s in it and get it cheap from a junkyard), get some upper and lower control arms (rear upper must be adjustable and you should get it before you get a new driveshaft otherwise you cant adjust the pinion angle and youll cause damage) and get a new driveshaft...dont forget the tuner either! And if you really want you can throw on a supercharger but you should wait til the 1 piece driveshaft to put one on. Then you can head to supersix motorsports and get some internals! (Or get internals and supercharger at the same time). THEN work on exterior stuff . Thats how my list is going, bit of a different order but Im not getting any power adders until i get rear end and driveshaft and probably internals as well.
Thanks for the tips!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang