Revving in nuetral - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
Revving in nuetral

I've been having an odd issue since I got my car (5 months ago) where if I put my car in neutral while the car is moving and leave the clutch engaged it will just start revving up (pretty high, but at a steady pace) until I come to a stop. I have been treating this issue by rolling to stops with the clutch disengaged, which completely nullifies the issue, but I was recently informed that this stresses the TOB, and it's not good to do this, so I figured I would see if anyone has any ideas what might cause this?

Remember that this only happens while the car is moving, I can sit still in neutral all day and it idles perfect, so I don't see how it could be a vacuum line or IAC or TPS?

Thanks in advance guys and gals!
Combatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It could be the throttle stop screw. I have read in other forums that people who don't know any better adjust them to compensate for another issue.
Stratstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Why would you coming to a rolling stop with the clutch engaged anyways? Just a question,not trying to bash.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It's come to a stop with the clutch engaged to take stress off my throw out bearing, and my left calf.

And whereabouts would I look for the aforementioned idle screw?
Old 08-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
I think the terms are just reversed. Engaged meaning in gear, disengaged meaning the car is not in gear.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatman View Post
It's come to a stop with the clutch engaged to take stress off my throw out bearing, and my left calf.

And whereabouts would I look for the aforementioned idle screw?
Looking toward the front of your car, it is contained in the drive by wire case attached to the left side of the throttle body. When removing it to get to the screw, be careful as the butterfly spring is in there. You will have to put the spring back with tension or the butterfly won't work. It's a bit tricky but not too bad. Also, be careful with the case screws on removal, they are easily damaged.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
I think the terms are just reversed. Engaged meaning in gear, disengaged meaning the car is not in gear.
Yes sir, i meant the clutch is engaged (meaning my food is off it) but the car is in Neutral, so the engagement of the clutch should have no effect on the engine, but for some reason mine still makes my engine rev while the car is rolling in neutral.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratstang View Post

Looking toward the front of your car, it is contained in the drive by wire case attached to the left side of the throttle body. When removing it to get to the screw, be careful as the butterfly spring is in there. You will have to put the spring back with tension or the butterfly won't work. It's a bit tricky but not too bad. Also, be careful with the case screws on removal, they are easily damaged.
Alright, and how do I know if it needs to be adjusted?
Old 08-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Alright, and how do I know if it needs to be adjusted?
What rpm's does your car rev at idle when warmed up?
Old 08-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

750ish
Old 08-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
750ish
That's acceptable. I thought that it might have been high if someone had played with it, though idle is computer controlled. I'm assuming that you don't have a check engine light. I read a similar issue to yours where the car was fine at idle, but that the rpm's soared at speed when in neutral. He had gotten the car used and didn't know it's history. Backing off the throttle screw solved his problem. Problem is you won't know if it needs adjusting until you're in there. The butterfly gear should sit firmly against the screw, but there shouldn't be much of the screw exposed.

There is an adjustment screw on the bottom rear of the case, accessible without removing anything. You could try backing that off before taking anything apart, but only very incrementally as you won't be able to see the contact between the screw and the gear inside the case.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Alright so I just got time to look at it today, and im looking at the case here and I'm not sure with screw you are referring to, you have me worried about taking the case off as I'm not sure exactly what you mean about tensioning the spring till I take it apart. Any words of advice before I start digging into the intricacies known as the drive by wire system?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3168474980.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	126291  
Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, I've been researching this more as the last thing I want to do is to steer you wrong. I've had my TB drive by wire apart several times with no issues, but have never had to adjust the set screw. I have been reading today that adjusting it could alter the voltage for proper EFI operation, so unless you have a meter and know the parameters of where it should be, you could be in for an issue more than what you have. I found this info on another forum and I cannot vouch for its reliability.

I certainly don't want to waste your time, but I am inexperienced when it comes to voltage parameters and I don't want to cause you grief. Sometimes an experienced shop is your best friend, particularly if it prevents you from making things worse. I'd really like to hear how you make out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang