Just had a new 8.8" 3.73 axle installed. Wow! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
twk
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: North Carolina
Just had a new 8.8" 3.73 axle installed. Wow!

Wow! Just had my Ford Racing 3.73 axle installed on my '09 v6 vert.
I should have done this a long time ago. What a difference. I love it! I recommend it.

But that is not the main story here. I thought I'd bore you all on how I got mine, and who put it in. Maybe food for thought for some of you looking for an 8.8" axle for your v6.

I searched for over a year for a used GT take-off, and found about 10. None of them looked like one I would put under my car.

A couple of them were stuck in what was once mud, that had hardened keeping me from even moving them. One place wanted an almost reasonable $900 and the other place wanted $1000. There was no way to know how much abuse was on them, or how long they were stuck in the mud. Nether one had tags.

A couple more looked like they had been in a rear end collision. One still had bent lower control arms attached.

Various others had parts still attached that were cut off with a torch, and probably NOT a cutting torch. Slag stuck to them here and there. One in particular had a few bent mounting tabs. Another one had hit something hard enough to slightly dent the right hand axle tube. One still had the shocks attached… Well, lower half of the shocks. The rest of them were not much better and the prices were all around $1000 to $1100. I was extremely discouraged.

There is no way I'm qualified to tell if the internals of an axle assembly are in any sort of reasonable shape. I'd have to pay the installer to take it apart and check it, no doubt for an added cost.

So instead of taking my chances on that crap, and then having to replace chipped gears, worn clutch disks, bearings, seals, and who know what might be inside, I went with a brand spanking new Ford Racing 3.73. This one below.

2005-2014 MUSTANG 3.73 AXLE ASSEMBLY | Part Details for M-4001-A373* | Ford Racing Performance Parts

I bought it from Hilbish Ford in Kannapolis NC. It was just over $1300 and NO SHIPPING charges. It's BRAND SPANKING NEW so no need to open it and check the internals like you would on the used crap I was finding.

Hilbish Ford installed it for just over $550 including fluids. Not too bad I thought, and they did a clean, excellent job.

I'm sure many of you have loads of experience with this type of hardware, but I don't. As for the total cost, I may have paid a couple of hundred more than some of you, but I also bought me some peace of mind.

So that is my axle story. If you have comments, be kind. Ha ha!
twk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by twk View Post
Wow! Just had my Ford Racing 3.73 axle installed on my '09 v6 vert.
I should have done this a long time ago. What a difference. I love it! I recommend it.

But that is not the main story here. I thought I'd bore you all on how I got mine, and who put it in. Maybe food for thought for some of you looking for an 8.8" axle for your v6.

I searched for over a year for a used GT take-off, and found about 10. None of them looked like one I would put under my car.

A couple of them were stuck in what was once mud, that had hardened keeping me from even moving them. One place wanted an almost reasonable $900 and the other place wanted $1000. There was no way to know how much abuse was on them, or how long they were stuck in the mud. Nether one had tags.

A couple more looked like they had been in a rear end collision. One still had bent lower control arms attached.

Various others had parts still attached that were cut off with a torch, and probably NOT a cutting torch. Slag stuck to them here and there. One in particular had a few bent mounting tabs. Another one had hit something hard enough to slightly dent the right hand axle tube. One still had the shocks attached… Well, lower half of the shocks. The rest of them were not much better and the prices were all around $1000 to $1100. I was extremely discouraged.

There is no way I'm qualified to tell if the internals of an axle assembly are in any sort of reasonable shape. I'd have to pay the installer to take it apart and check it, no doubt for an added cost.

So instead of taking my chances on that crap, and then having to replace chipped gears, worn clutch disks, bearings, seals, and who know what might be inside, I went with a brand spanking new Ford Racing 3.73. This one below.

2005-2014 MUSTANG 3.73 AXLE ASSEMBLY | Part Details for M-4001-A373* | Ford Racing Performance Parts

I bought it from Hilbish Ford in Kannapolis NC. It was just over $1300 and NO SHIPPING charges. It's BRAND SPANKING NEW so no need to open it and check the internals like you would on the used crap I was finding.

Hilbish Ford installed it for just over $550 including fluids. Not too bad I thought, and they did a clean, excellent job.

I'm sure many of you have loads of experience with this type of hardware, but I don't. As for the total cost, I may have paid a couple of hundred more than some of you, but I also bought me some peace of mind.

So that is my axle story. If you have comments, be kind. Ha ha!
Sounds great! I just put a 3.73 gear in my car and I have to say that I'm disappointed with the result. The difference in pull isn't nearly what I thought it would be. I should have gone with the 4.10. :sigh:
Stratstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
twk
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: North Carolina
Ah, sorry to hear you're not quite thrilled with a 3.73.

I went from a 3.31 to the 3.73 It doesn't quite compare to the 3.73 I put in my 1994 stang which had a 2.73 rear. THAT car felt like someone put in a v8 instead of the axle. Any way, I can feel a NEW kick in the pants from a stop and also while climbing the hills in North Carolina.

I just punched the gas in my drive way and left two 5 foot black stripes. I think I could have done better but I was running out of driveway. Ha ha! It's ok, I have a 45 feet of concrete driveway. Do NOT ever try that, and that includes me!
twk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by twk View Post
Ah, sorry to hear you're not quite thrilled with a 3.73.

I went from a 3.31 to the 3.73 It doesn't quite compare to the 3.73 I put in my 1994 stang which had a 2.73 rear. THAT car felt like someone put in a v8 instead of the axle. Any way, I can feel a NEW kick in the pants from a stop and also while climbing the hills in North Carolina.

I just punched the gas in my drive way and left two 5 foot black stripes. I think I could have done better but I was running out of driveway. Ha ha! It's ok, I have a 45 feet of concrete driveway. Do NOT ever try that, and that includes me!
Lol! My driveway is way too short for that. I went from a 3.31 too. I haven't really punched it yet due to the break in / heat cycle thing. Maybe once it's broken in and I get more aggressive I'll see it differently. I expected more pull at speed though. Not GT style pull, but something that would make me say "Wow, this is alright! Maybe I just got caught up in the hype and expected too much.
Stratstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
If I ever get the cheddar to do it I'm gonna do the 8.8" & 3.73s as well!!
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Wow! I've been looking for an 8.8! And I've always been afraid of buying a used one because of damage. I'm doing a 4.6 motor swap in my v6 and need to get rid of the one wheel peel plus a bigger, stronger rear end. Thanks for the help, I will definitely be looking into that
Claypops is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang