Rear Diff - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Rear Diff

anyone know if a 2012 boss 302 rear diff will fit my 06 v6?
Zhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Not if you are still running the stock rear end. The Boss has the 8.8" rear end and the stock rear end in the 2006 V6 is only a 7.5" rear end so no way to fit it in there.

It is actually cheaper in the long run to just swap the rear end for an 8.8 instead of trying to build a 7.5. Worst modding decision I ever made - built a 7.5 with gears, tlok, rear end girdle - and broke it with just a set of drag radials, tune and CAI. The new take off 8.8 cost less than all the parts that I broke and a lot less than the installation and parts cost me.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

sorry that's what I should have said the whole rear end. there's a boss 302 in my area being parted out. i'm thinking of doing the swap to 8.8". what's a good price for the whole rear end?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

The swap from the Boss should be a direct swap. The 2011+ rear ends have the correct flange for your 2006.

As far as price - I've seen rear ends anywhere from $450 to $1200. Depending upon equipment you may have the Torsen T2 differential on that Boss.

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Since it is coming off a Boss I would expect to see the price in the upper range - just because of the "connection" to a limited edition Mustang.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the info!
Old 09-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I just posted this same question somewhere else mistakenly, but there is another boss being parted out where I am. What benefit would this provide over the stock V6 rear diff? Mines a 2007 V6 also.
Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

You will have a stronger rear end with the 8.8, as well as the torsen differential so that you are putting power to both rear wheels. The 7.5 is an open differential so power only goes to one rear wheel.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You will have a stronger rear end with the 8.8, as well as the torsen differential so that you are putting power to both rear wheels. The 7.5 is an open differential so power only goes to one rear wheel.
Sounds good. By stronger you mean it is able to handle more power?
Old 09-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustumb View Post
Sounds good. By stronger you mean it is able to handle more power?
Exactly. The 7.5 is pretty weak. I broke one that I tried to build up (3.73's, tlok, and a LPW Girdle) with just a CAI, tune, and set of drag radials. If you add any power adder the 7.5 won't last.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Exactly. The 7.5 is pretty weak. I broke one that I tried to build up (3.73's, tlok, and a LPW Girdle) with just a CAI, tune, and set of drag radials. If you add any power adder the 7.5 won't last.
Makes sense. So I'd obviously be looking to switch out the rear diff to the 302's. You said it wouldn't fit but then said it would? Any clarification on that? What else would need to be done with a 302's rear diff to replace it with mine? And what install cost am I looking at?
Old 09-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Any mustang 8.8" rear end would fit our 05-09 sixxers. You do need the cobra flange if it's from an 05-09 gt. if it's a 2011+ v6 rear end, I'm pretty sure it's a direct bolt on to ours. But buying the cobra flange is necessary with most 8.8 swaps on our 05-09 sixxers. Hope this helps!
Bschmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bschmidty View Post
Any mustang 8.8" rear end would fit our 05-09 sixxers. You do need the cobra flange if it's from an 05-09 gt. if it's a 2011+ v6 rear end, I'm pretty sure it's a direct bolt on to ours. But buying the cobra flange is necessary with most 8.8 swaps on our 05-09 sixxers. Hope this helps!
We're talking about one off of a Boss 303. What about that? Thanks for the info tho!
Old 09-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

We're talking about one off of a Boss 303. What about that? Thanks for the info tho!
Pretty sure you'd need a cobra flange too due to the difference in transmission types. But I could be wrong
Old 09-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Pretty sure you'd need a cobra flange too due to the difference in transmission types. But I could be wrong
Ok. Any idea how much installation would be? And I read I should replace a few things while the rear diff is out, but can't remember for the life of me.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:46 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok. Any idea how much installation would be? And I read I should replace a few things while the rear diff is out, but can't remember for the life of me.
I couldn't tell you sadly! I don't have that knowledge yet. You're much closer than I am to swapping out rear ends. I'm months away lol but maybe just get a quote from a local shop? Otherwise I don't know. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I couldn't tell you sadly! I don't have that knowledge yet. You're much closer than I am to swapping out rear ends. I'm months away lol but maybe just get a quote from a local shop? Otherwise I don't know. Good luck!
I'll check it out and post it here. I'll also post the asking for that Boss 302 rear diff for reference.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Makes sense. So I'd obviously be looking to switch out the rear diff to the 302's. You said it wouldn't fit but then said it would? Any clarification on that? What else would need to be done with a 302's rear diff to replace it with mine? And what install cost am I looking at?
Quote:
Quote:
You aren't just switching the rear differential - just want to be clear because your posts sound like that is what you are thinking. You take off your wheels and rear brake calipers, unbolt your driveshaft, the upper control arm, the lower control arms and the shocks. Drop your old rear end out and put the entire assembly back in, bolt it up and put your calipers and tires back on.

If it is from a 2011+ then it is a direct swap to the 2005-09 V6. If it is from a 2005 -10 then you need to swap the flange. I don't think the Boss came out until 2012 so it should be a direct swap. Transmission has nothing to do with it because the end of your driveshaft that attaches to the flange on the rear end is the one that we are talking about.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You aren't just switching the rear differential - just want to be clear because your posts sound like that is what you are thinking. You take off your wheels and rear brake calipers, unbolt your driveshaft, the upper control arm, the lower control arms and the shocks. Drop your old rear end out and put the entire assembly back in, bolt it up and put your calipers and tires back on.

If it is from a 2011+ then it is a direct swap to the 2005-09 V6. If it is from a 2005 -10 then you need to swap the flange. I don't think the Boss came out until 2012 so it should be a direct swap. Transmission has nothing to do with it because the end of your driveshaft that attaches to the flange on the rear end is the one that we are talking about.
I understand the whole process. I know the flange is necessary for the 05-09 years. Just wasn't sure about the boss. Thank you for clarification! Learning something new everyday
Old 09-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info you too. I checked out the flange, looking at about $45. I still have to check what this guy wants for the rear diff.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang