Mustang shifting Situation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

Region: Florida
Mustang shifting Situation

I have notice that most of the time when i get in my 05 v6 4.0 manual mustang I have trouble getting it into any gear. I live on a hill and when i park it at night i put the ebrake on and put it in first gear and shut her down. Is there anyway that could be the problem.
She only has 83000 and when i checked the tranny it looked good. My clutch feelslike it disengages nicely about halfway from the floor. I checked my hydrolic fluid which is with the brake fluid resivor and is just under the max line. Now what would make my stang do this? Maybe gear bushings. If so how do i install them. Or Maybe the extension bar that goes to the tranny.? I have read that it comes loose and gives u problems. Or could it be something simple like greasing up the bushing right under the shifter because i think there might be sand from the beach in there. If so what kind of greace or lube should i use?
Imaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I seem to have the same problem with mine. I do have 126k miles in mine which is a lot but I just replaced the clutch. It still has the same problem. I don't know the answer but if you find out I'd like to know as well
Claypops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #3

I checked my clutch fluid and bleed it out by raisibg my car about 8inches and pumping the clutch slowly about 5to 10 seconds from top down and back up but problem still exsists. I can shift ok when the car is off but when its on it wont go in gear what is causing this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Master cylinder or slave cylinder could be preventing fluid from getting to clutch when the vehicle is running possibly? Had the same problem with my truck.

---------- Post added at 05:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 AM ----------

Replaced both cylinders and it shifted like butter from then on out
StevensV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #5

What was the price for both?. I tried beeding my clutch. Same problem still exsists. Im going to be doing my oil today so ill be under it imma try to tighten the rode that goes into the tranny from the shifter to see if that helps...
Old 10-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Had the same problem. Replaced transmission fluid with Royal Purple manual trans fluid and problem solved.
delff128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #7

Delff128 did this problem happen all the time or every once in a while?.Sometimes its smoith sailing if u know what i mean.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaboss View Post
Delff128 did this problem happen all the time or every once in a while?.Sometimes its smoith sailing if u know what i mean.
It was intermittent. Sometimes however I would be sitting in traffic and it would be impossible to get into first gear and I would have to limp away in second. It would feel like there was something physical blocking the gear shift from going into first. I changed my trans oil a little over a year ago and have not had the problem since.
delff128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Is there anyway the actual shifter rod may be having alignment issues?? I know that when your master or slave is shot it is literally impossible to get the vehicle in gear but That applies to all gears not just 1st. I would check those first. Just because you can bleed them does not mean they open up while the vehicle is on. Suggestion for you is have somebody run the vehicle, climb under it and manually force the cylinder open and see if they can get it into gear while the brake fluid flows into the housing. That would let you know wether or not it's restricting the shifte when the cylinder is closed
Old 10-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

And the prices are irrelevant it was for a 86 Mazda b2000 not my stang. But regardless. Manuals are still around and have not changed (thankfully on both points) so the concept of operation are the same regardless
Old 10-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #11

If the master or slave fail wouldnt it be hard to shift all the time not just here n there?. I have ramps at my house that im going to use today to do my oil and im going to look and take pics underneeth. As or the rod someone told me there rod from the shifter to the tranny became loose from vibration. The tightened it and smooth sailing. If all fails im going to do a tranny flush.! Had a couple people say its my slave but i would think it would happen everytime i drive
Old 10-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that's what I was saying earlier was that it was one of the cylinders it would be a constant problem. Checking shifter should not be hard to do just take pictures as you do it. I hope it's not too serious but if it is you may end up have to take the pressure plate off the clutch and checking the clutch. Idk if it's possible but maybe A loose connection to the clutch may be causing difficulty in shifting.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang