Coilovers vs lowering springs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Coilovers vs lowering springs

So as far as I've read, for lowering springs(h&r most likely) I would need:

Springs
caster/camber plates
Adjustable pan hard bar
Upper control arms
Lower control arms
shocks
Struts

For coilovers, I know that I wouldn't need shocks or springs, but would I still need C/C plates, pan hard bar? Upper and lower control arms?

I'm just trying to see what is more cost efficient
Bschmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bschmidty View Post

Springs
caster/camber plates
Adjustable pan hard bar
Upper control arms
Lower control arms
shocks
Struts

For coilovers, I know that I wouldn't need shocks or springs, but would I still need C/C plates, pan hard bar? Upper and lower control arms?

if you are going cost efficient, than springs are ok. when they start leaking go for shocks. the plates, pan hard bar and control arms do make a difference but they are not a must to if you lower springs by 3-4 cm. not even the shocks won't wear out to soon, you still have a good life on them but combined with lowered springs they do make a great difference
Knooper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knooper3 View Post
if you are going cost efficient, than springs are ok. when they start leaking go for shocks. the plates, pan hard bar and control arms do make a difference but they are not a must to if you lower springs by 3-4 cm. not even the shocks won't wear out to soon, you still have a good life on them but combined with lowered springs they do make a great difference
so the h&r supersports lower the car almost 2 inches. Those mods aren't necessary? I read that a guys driveshaft failed because the pinion angle was off due to the stock upper control arms and other things like the rear geometry being thrown off by lowering it like that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
so the h&r supersports lower the car almost 2 inches. Those mods aren't necessary? I read that a guys driveshaft failed because the pinion angle was off due to the stock upper control arms and other things like the rear geometry being thrown off by lowering it like that
I'm currently running H&R SS.. I haven't upgraded the shocks, CC's or panhard bar.
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post
I'm currently running H&R SS.. I haven't upgraded the shocks, CC's or panhard bar.
Any problems so far? How long have you had them?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Any problems so far? How long have you had them?
Nope, no problem so far! ( knock on wood ) but I've had them for a little longer than a month.
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a car that is lowered to the ground for 15 years and i use it hard and nothing but shocks i've changed. And it works great! Trust me, allmost everybody just lower their car. So unless you go to the track and do professional racing where there are some extreme conditions, keep the money for the gas
Old 10-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Good to know! Thanks for the help guys! I'll probably go with the pan hard bar and c/c plates for safe measures. Then shocks and upper control arms later
Old 10-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good to know! Thanks for the help guys! I'll probably go with the pan hard bar and c/c plates for safe measures. Then shocks and upper control arms later
no prob though, with that money for plates, etc, i would add a supercharger
Old 10-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

Springs
caster/camber plates
Adjustable pan hard bar
Upper control arms
Lower control arms
shocks
Struts

PJ Pony has "Roush Extreme Lowering Spring Kit, 2005-2014, GT" for $239.99. It states, "This kit lowers your vehicle 1" in the front and 1.25" in the rear. Further, it says, "This suspension package should be used with the stock Mustang shocks and struts." In other words, it claims that no change in existing stock shocks and struts is needed! I'm thinking of buying these. Can anyone give me their thoughts?
lesgtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesgtcs View Post
PJ Pony has "Roush Extreme Lowering Spring Kit, 2005-2014, GT" for $239.99. It states, "This kit lowers your vehicle 1" in the front and 1.25" in the rear. Further, it says, "This suspension package should be used with the stock Mustang shocks and struts." In other words, it claims that no change in existing stock shocks and struts is needed! I'm thinking of buying these. Can anyone give me their thoughts?
anything lowered less than 1.5" is fine. You might need an adjustable pan hard bar to fix the geometry and that's it
Old 10-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
anything lowered less than 1.5" is fine. You might need an adjustable pan hard bar to fix the geometry and that's it
Thanks, Bschmidty. I'll check out the panhard bar.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Bschmidty: Is it possible to cut the existing springs to lower the car? I have a 2011 GTCS auto convertible and was wondering if this is feasible or not. Could save a bunch of bucks.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bschmidty: Is it possible to cut the existing springs to lower the car? I have a 2011 GTCS auto convertible and was wondering if this is feasible or not. Could save a bunch of bucks.
I have little to no knowledge on that, but I have heard of people doing that if I'm not mistaken
Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
some people do it, many drifters around do that but you must know what you are doing, it will bounce even more if you cut them and you'll hit the ground easily. if you want to go cheap, search for some used ones, it's the best for your radiator and other hanging stuff
Old 10-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

If it was feasible I was going to have a pro do the cutting, but your right plus the old ones may have lost tensile strength etc. I guess I'll go with the Roush springs and possibly a new panhard bar. Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang