Need expert opinions and first hand experience - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Need expert opinions and first hand experience

hey guys. new to the forum. got some questions for you all

just recently bought a 2009 45th anniversary v6 automatic 57K on the clock.
im loving the car so far. but heres the thing
i want the car to be tip top shape and unlock its absolute full mustang potential.
whatever kind of input anybody has as to what stock parts i should be replacing at this point in the cars life and what parts are going to help me really bring this v6 to life would be awesome responses for me.

any list or advice is much appreciated!!!!

i have a bama sct tuner but with stock sytem (any mod advice would be appreciated)
i have changed the plugs, brake pads, fuel filter.
i have added a black race stripe, replaced gold rocker stripes with black rocker stripes black hash marks, tinted windows, brake lights are smoked and third brake light has mustang lettering tint cut out, short antenna, and window decals from american muscle. all of these add ons are of course form our friendly neighborhood superhero americanmuscle.com.
also recently powdercoated stock rims black. looks very clean i will post pictures soon.

i am very confident behind a wrench so whatever yall got just throw it at me and ill be a happy camper!
StevensV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Stevensv6,

Are you mostly looking for power upgrades? Do you have any interest in improving the handling? Have you considered changing the rear gear ratio for quicker acceleration?

If it were my car, I'd swap in a set of 3.73 or 4.10 gears to really wake up the car. Gears will perform more substantially than most power mods as far as acceleration, too.

From there, I'd look into improving handling. Lowering springs, adj Pandhard bar, and camber bolts as all you need to give your Mustang more confidence around each turn and of course show off a killer stance. There's other suspension upgrades that will further improve handling too, but they're not required right off the bat. If you would like to talk more about suspension upgrades, let me know!

Just trying to see where your motives lead in this project. Give me some more feedback and we'll figure out what's best for you!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
what would make a difference considering what you have is a cold air intake and a dual exhaust (works great with the tuner) and a screamin' demon coil and gap the plugs to .065 these are the ones that make the most difference unless you add a supercharger/turbo.

about handling, look if you have a rear sway bar because most 4.0's dont. if you don't have one than that's a must! the rest are up to your budget and Shane (above) has some good ideas.
Knooper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome replies guys definetly what I was looking for. Yes I'm looking into suspension upgrades would certainly like to have handling top notch. Also the dual exhaust is my next upgrade along with a cai (any recommendations??) gears I'm not interested in because I'd like to have more top speed for now and pull on the interstate because I do 80 percent highway driving. What do I need to make the ride as smooth as possible. Also the daul exhaust is a must. Any ideas on what the best pipe header and mid pipe combo would be. I want it to sound throaty and full if that makes sense. Are throttle body spacers worth it is like to make my air intake and fuel injection system high powered and make a difference on the way the car runs. Any other small add one I can make that really bring the vehicle alive? A one piece drive shaft is also in line to be added.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensV6 View Post
Awesome replies guys definetly what I was looking for. Yes I'm looking into suspension upgrades would certainly like to have handling top notch. Also the dual exhaust is my next upgrade along with a cai (any recommendations??) gears I'm not interested in because I'd like to have more top speed for now and pull on the interstate because I do 80 percent highway driving. What do I need to make the ride as smooth as possible. Also the daul exhaust is a must. Any ideas on what the best pipe header and mid pipe combo would be. I want it to sound throaty and full if that makes sense. Are throttle body spacers worth it is like to make my air intake and fuel injection system high powered and make a difference on the way the car runs. Any other small add one I can make that really bring the vehicle alive? A one piece drive shaft is also in line to be added.
I recommend a spacer for sure! Makes an awesome sound and bumps low torque and really adds some responsiveness to the car IMO and from my own experience with my SR spacer
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
I recommend a spacer for sure! Makes an awesome sound and bumps low torque and really adds some responsiveness to the car IMO and from my own experience with my SR spacer
Sweet Man, what brand did you get and aren't there different space heights? If so what size did you get??
Old 10-10-2013, 03:11 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
You can buy the spacer, it did make a little difference on low rpm. I bought the SR too. About the driveshaft, don't buy one, they're expensive and you won't notice a difference. In my oppinion, the best cold air intakes are made by K&N but steeda and many others are great too. I did change in mine the headers and i added on the Y pipe a cutout exhaust and it sounds the meanest in the city but it requires some maintenance. There are kits for $450 on AM that convert yours to a dual exhaust and they sound awesome but i don't know performance-wise how much hp they add except weight) but combined with headers and tuner they do their job
Old 10-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Dual exhaust is certainly a 'must have' upgrade. For the 4.0 v6, I've found chambered mufflers tend to sound best because they produce a deeper/throaty tone, compared to high pitched raspy-ness.

Pypes makes a nice stainless steel dual exhaust kit that mates up to your factory downpipes. In case you want to reuse the factory catalytic convertors and replace them with high flow-cats or even caltess. Which is why I feel it's one of the best options!

Now if you want to make the handling of your Mustang top notch, there's a several ways to go about this. You can pick-up a complete handling kit from Eibach and add a few necessary parts like an adj panhard bar and chamber bolts, or you can piece together your own "kit." It's really up to you and what type of budget we're working with.

Fill me in on some more details about what you're looking for as far as performance suspension and what kind of budget you have to put towards it. We can find the perfect setup for you from there!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knooper3 View Post
what would make a difference considering what you have is a cold air intake and a dual exhaust (works great with the tuner) and a screamin' demon coil and gap the plugs to .065 these are the ones that make the most difference unless you add a supercharger/turbo.

about handling, look if you have a rear sway bar because most 4.0's dont. if you don't have one than that's a must! the rest are up to your budget and Shane (above) has some good ideas.
What does the gapping achieve exactly?
Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:51 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustumb View Post
What does the gapping achieve exactly?
Well, if you have a good ignition coil and some platinum or iridium spark plugs, you can increase the distance between the two electrodes of the spark plugs (some NGK plugs come allready spaced/gapped ). This means that the spark will be bigger in size (with the same duration though) and in an engine with indirect injection like ours it is usefull because this way it will burn more of the gas in the piston which translates into more HP but not a lot, better MPG, quicker starts, better idle and better performance when the engine is cold.

This is my next and final power related mod that i'll do to my stang. It works even better if you've installed a tune because most of the time they advance the ignition
Old 10-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, if you have a good ignition coil and some platinum or iridium spark plugs, you can increase the distance between the two electrodes of the spark plugs (some NGK plugs come allready spaced/gapped ). This means that the spark will be bigger in size (with the same duration though) and in an engine with indirect injection like ours it is usefull because this way it will burn more of the gas in the piston which translates into more HP but not a lot, better MPG, quicker starts, better idle and better performance when the engine is cold.

This is my next and final power related mod that i'll do to my stang. It works even better if you've installed a tune because most of the time they advance the ignition
Hmm I've got the iridium plugs, Taylor wires and screaming' demon coil pack. Maybe it would be good to change to that. would the tune need to adjust for this?
Old 10-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hmm I've got the iridium plugs, Taylor wires and screaming' demon coil pack. Maybe it would be good to change to that. would the tune need to adjust for this?
That's a great setup leave the tune as it is, or use which tune you like it allready does the spark advance so you're only helping it. So go to a mechanic and check the gap and if it's not big enough, gap it to .063-.065. The screamin demon works well with that gap you could do it yourself but it's safer this way
Old 10-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's a great setup leave the tune as it is, or use which tune you like it allready does the spark advance so you're only helping it. So go to a mechanic and check the gap and if it's not big enough, gap it to .063-.065. The screamin demon works well with that gap you could do it yourself but it's safer this way
Awesome. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for the advice.
No problem if you get it sorted, tell me how it worked out!
Old 10-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

So if they're gapped is it a noticeable difference?
Old 10-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So if they're gapped is it a noticeable difference?
Yup, you buy the coil and wires so you can increase the gap, with the stock gap it's very close to stock performance. The idea is to have a bigger and hoter spark so you burn most of the fuel in the cylinder
Old 10-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man, gonna look into that soon, is the screamin demon the best cool pack to get?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks man, gonna look into that soon, is the screamin demon the best cool pack to get?
after some serious search and reading all the reviews i could find on the internet, yes, i would go with the screamin deamon. don't expect to see more than 7hp on an naturally aspirated engine, but it will start easier, better mpg when cold and warm, better idle and better performance on the high revs.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Accel all day!!
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

So I made a cart of all mods that I want not including a super charger. Turned out to be 5,400. Time to start saving up and tightening the belt a little bit hahah. Can't wait for my tax return!!
Old 10-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I made a cart of all mods that I want not including a super charger. Turned out to be 5,400. Time to start saving up and tightening the belt a little bit hahah. Can't wait for my tax return!!
that's huge look on ebay too i'm soon over with my mods and i don't think i'm much over 1000 but i've been looking for the best deals a lot
Old 10-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Well that includes all exterior mods as well lol. I'm just gonna sell it and get a 14.5 50th anniversary in a year though so that list isn't going to be fulfilled lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang