Sounds like a flat but isnt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Sounds like a flat but isnt

09 v6 automatic. 57k on clock.
was making the sound when i bought the vehicle.
starts when i take off and continues until i cant hear it.
sounds like a flat tire but isnt. took the vehicle to firestone had them balance tires and check for tread seperations, no problems with tires but i was told by the tech that balanced the tires that they were each unbalanced 3 ounces or more. just replaced brake pads as well and rotors seem fine after inspection. sound is very irritating because i dont want it to lead to more serious issues. it is a low whoop whoop whoop that sounds like a minor flat and accelerates as i speed up. not a loud roar but i need to know what it is. any of you experience the same thing? if so what could it be
StevensV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If it's not the tire, wheel bearings make strange sounds when there bad.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
If it's not the tire, wheel bearings make strange sounds when there bad.
That's what I was thinking
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Wheel bearing.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

That's what I was thinking
My old truck the ol'lady drives makes the sound he's describing, and it's a wheel bearing I keep putting off.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My old truck the ol'lady drives makes the sound he's describing, and it's a wheel bearing I keep putting off.
My truck that I let my brother drive is the same way wanna change mine while you're at it? Bahaha
Old 10-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

My truck that I let my brother drive is the same way wanna change mine while you're at it? Bahaha
Ya but it might be a while, it's been making the noise for a couple years now.lol She keeps me busy putting rotors on it once a year.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Lol Black on boss maybe we can call tc x 4's wife and get her to make him change ours all at the same time
Old 10-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensV6 View Post
Lol Black on boss maybe we can call tc x 4's wife and get her to make him change ours all at the same time
Lol I'll just drop the truck off and take the bike for a ride while he's working
Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Dauumn, now I know why my ears were burning. Come on up and I'll get the bike's out, I'd rather ride than work on a truck any day.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Lol yeah ill get my buddy to follow me up on his cbr1000 I'm sure he won't mind if I take off with it for a little bit?
Old 10-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol yeah ill get my buddy to follow me up on his cbr1000 I'm sure he won't mind if I take off with it for a little bit?
I have enough for us all. We can dress up in leather and pretend we're going to a fashion show like the posers.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Can I wear my assless chaps?? I've been looking forward to putting them to good use since I broke them out 3 halloweens ago?
Old 10-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can I wear my assless chaps?? I've been looking forward to putting them to good use since I broke them out 3 halloweens ago?
Roflmao, sounds like you've done it before.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Oh if I only had a nickle
Old 10-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh if I only had a nickle
Lmao you don't even get a nickel for wearing them? You ain't working hard enough :p
Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
09 v6 automatic. 57k on clock.
was making the sound when i bought the vehicle.
starts when i take off and continues until i cant hear it.
sounds like a flat tire but isnt. took the vehicle to firestone had them balance tires and check for tread seperations, no problems with tires but i was told by the tech that balanced the tires that they were each unbalanced 3 ounces or more. just replaced brake pads as well and rotors seem fine after inspection. sound is very irritating because i dont want it to lead to more serious issues. it is a low whoop whoop whoop that sounds like a minor flat and accelerates as i speed up. not a loud roar but i need to know what it is. any of you experience the same thing? if so what could it be
So you went ahead and bought it anyway? What did the owner/car lot/dealer think it was? Did they offer to fix it or so you could take it to a mechanic and find out what was making the sound?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I know you said you had your tires balanced, but did they check to see if your tires were cupped. The previous owner of my GT never rotated the tires. The rears were cupped. When I finally got them rotated to the front is when I noticed the noise got louder and then I got a vibration.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I bought it from a local five star dealer. Very reputable and reliable company. Or so i thought. But I bought the vehicle assuming the tires would atleast be balanced, however I was wrong. It's okay though guys, I'm getting new rotors, 4.10s, replacing bearings, and calipers soon. I think the bearings will do it.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT View Post
I know you said you had your tires balanced, but did they check to see if your tires were cupped. The previous owner of my GT never rotated the tires. The rears were cupped. When I finally got them rotated to the front is when I noticed the noise got louder and then I got a vibration.
Cupped tires are from bad shocks.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Cupped tires are from bad shocks.
Can be bad shocks, also can come from unbalanced tires, uneven ware or alignment issues. Rotating your tires lets them ware more evenly and reduces the chance for cupping.

OP said that the tires were out of balance and he had them redone. My guess is that they are now cupped and unfortunately you can not fix them.

Your right though, I would also have the shocks checked.

OP when they rebalanced your tires, did they do a road force test on them?
Old 10-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can be bad shocks, also can come from unbalanced tires, uneven ware or alignment issues. Rotating your tires lets them ware more evenly and reduces the chance for cupping.

OP said that the tires were out of balance and he had them redone. My guess is that they are now cupped and unfortunately you can not fix them.

Your right though, I would also have the shocks checked.

OP when they rebalanced your tires, did they do a road force test on them?
Ehhhh I had then done at rag field and it only took about 20 minutes so no I don't believe so
Old 10-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ehhhh I had then done at rag field and it only took about 20 minutes so no I don't believe so
They may have done the RFT in that time. It's a matter of having the right machine. They use the same machine to balance your tires. They lock your tire down and then another steel wheel comes down and puts pressure on the tire. Then they spin it at about 50mph. Sensors will give them a reading of 1 to 40 I believe. This test will tell if the tire is bad.

Here is a video on how they do it.
http://youtu.be/MeCcWnPOp9I
Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They may have done the RFT in that time. It's a matter of having the right machine. They use the same machine to balance your tires. They lock your tire down and then another steel wheel comes down and puts pressure on the tire. Then they spin it at about 50mph. Sensors will give them a reading of 1 to 40 I believe. This test will tell if the tire is bad.

Here is a video on how they do it.
Wheel Balancer - Hunter Road Force Touch Wheel Balancing Machine (Short) - YouTube
Well they said the tires were good so I don't think they're cupped
Old 10-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I guess if it were me, because tires are the easiest to diagnose and cheapest to buy. I would eliminate them as the problem first. I would go back to where you had your tires rebalanced and ask if they do Road Force Testing. If they do, and they actually did the test in your tires, then try to start eliminating other things. If they did not do the RFT then find a place that does and have it done. Most road noise problems are from bad tires.

Not saying this IS what your problem is. Just saying its the easiest to diagnose.

Front bearings take a pounding on our cars. If you think it might be a bearing, generally those are the ones that go out first. These are a pain to replace.

Drive shafts rarely go bad. U joints on the other hand do. U joints are pretty simple to do, with the right tools.

If your car is lowered then you shocks take a beating and prematurely ware out. You will have a rough ride. Take longer to stop. Your tires will wear unevenly and even cup. So IF your tires are cupped, be sure to also check your shocks. Personally I would spend the money and get new ones anyway. There are some real nice ones that improve handling and make your ride much smoother. It's a mod everyone should consider.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I'll be redoing the entire suspension system soon as far as cupped tires go I did ask if they did road force test they do. My guess is that it's with wheel bearings as soon as I replace the shocks and rotors I will be replacing the wheel bearings at the same time how hard are the front bearings to change
Old 10-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly I wouldn't know on your car. On my old 98, it wasn't terrible but a PIA to get some of the bolts loose.

I think it was more in my head that I had to spend the money on repairs rather than upgrades. Lol.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Could a piece of your TPS have broken off inside one of the tires perhaps does the noise only come from one corner?
Sully604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Old thread. Nothing is wrong supposedly, but I'll be getting new rims and tires soon so hopefully it will ride like new

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang