i need help guys. braking system... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-26-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
i need help guys. braking system...

alright yall here it goes.
i bought my 2009 v6 PP mustang 2 months ago. about a month ago i took my ABS fuses out. 2 weeks later i pulled the wheels off and had to replace the brake pads rear and front pairs. last week i had to replace the caliper on the rear left because i noticed smell and smoke coming form rear left caliper. so i replaced the caliper and rotor thinking its all good.

earlier tonight i was driving it messing around with some friends of course and passed them and made a fast stop, i noticed no skidding or anything just braked like regular slid like normal without abs enabled and i continued on, got to my destination about 10 minutes later and noticed severe smoking (its cold here) on rear RIGHT side. (not the one i replaced) if i need to replace the caliper and rotor so be it. i could care less its not a hard job. i just dont want to have to do this again..

anybody know whats causing it? am i not properly bleeding the brake system or something. i mean to me it seems like the piston on the caliper may have seized up. i just want to know whats causing it because i dont want have to replace it again... thinking maybe me disabling abs has something to do with it? idk
any help ideas or advice would be much appreciated..

seems to me like the hard stop may have caused the piston to seize but i just want to ask anybody if maybe the abs being turned off root of problem or something like that??
StevensV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I've been a mechanic for 20+ years and i know all about the ABS system so the answer to your question is NO, Disabling the abs system will not damage your braking system.

I have run into the same problem with my 98 GT. what i have found is that the caliper slides tend to cease up a little and not let the caliper to release when letting off the brakes. this can cause the piston to cease also.

The braking system on my 98 and your 09 is not that much different from each other.

Make sure that the slides move ez and use graphite grease. this grease will repel water and also make sure that the slide boots are clean and not torn or dry rotted due to heat.

hope that helps you.
michaelsneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsneal View Post
I've been a mechanic for 20+ years and i know all about the ABS system so the answer to your question is NO, Disabling the abs system will not damage your braking system.

I have run into the same problem with my 98 GT. what i have found is that the caliper slides tend to cease up a little and not let the caliper to release when letting off the brakes. this can cause the piston to cease also.

The braking system on my 98 and your 09 is not that much different from each other.

Make sure that the slides move ez and use graphite grease. this grease will repel water and also make sure that the slide boots are clean and not torn or dry rotted due to heat.

hope that helps you.

Okay that's understandable I was just thinkin if the abs is disabled when I stop it may have locked up and now it won't release?

I guess my question for you would be what needs to be done. Do I need to replace the caliper?
StevensV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ok one the ABS system does not apply pressure it releases it, the ABS block has 4 valves called dump valves in it and when you go into ABS mode ie ( panic stop ) it will release the pressure in pulses to the wheel that is locking up, you may already now that , just refresh purposes. now the only way for the caliper to jamb up is heat and the caliper slides to cease up and even to brake pad uneven wear. also brake torquing can sum-times cause this, not often though.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

check to see if the piston turns in ez or not, if not replace it.
michaelsneal is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang